Tim Britt

A friend of mine is a vintage dealer (mostly vintage McIntosh, Bozak,
EV, and other lines from the 60's) in Durham, NC.

I happened to visit him last week and he had just set up a pair of
KLH-9's he bought at an estate sale for $200. They were still in the
boxes, the boxes had been opened, but there were absolutely no signs of
wear on the speakers, so if they were used, they were used sparingly.

Anyway, he had just hooked them up to a C28 McIntosh Preamp, a McIntosh
CD player, and a McIntosh MC2100 solid state power amp to test them and
I was astounded at just how good they sounded. They were significantly
better than the Quad 57's and Quad 63's he had in the store, and they
would play louder than either of the Quad models. They're not rock
speakers, but they sure sounded damn fine on classical, folk, and jazz
recordings. When I first saw the KLH's, I thought they were an older
set of Magnepans. My friend said he already had some people tell him
they would pay as much as $5,000 for a mint pair of KLH-9's. Now that's
a long way from the $30,000 this seller is asking for his KLH-9's but
there are some people out there for whom the difference between $5K and
$30K is only pocket change.

As for the $125K price, hell, there're a few lucky people who pay that
much or more for their cars, so everything's relative.

This stuff is certainly waaayyy out of my price range, but as P.T.
Barnum so astutely noted years ago, "There one born every minute" and
I'm sure the seller will find a buyer who will be buying this stuff for
the ego trip.

VDOTman wrote:
This takes this hobby to a new level, if you can believe it. A lot of dough for
some old stuff. There are way better things in life to do with $125K besides
spend it on some old "glass" and a pair of what are sure to be dried out
electrostats. Caveat Emptor.