Forum: Pro Audio July 29th 20, 11:37 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Was lowered fidelity of 60's tv show music a function of how itwas recorded or something else in the production pipeline?

Scott Dorsey:

MTS sets: I heard Miami Vice in stereo the first time it was broadcast as such.
Forum: Pro Audio July 29th 20, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>Nobody actually used MTS in the US, sadly.
_________
Then how was I getting stereo sound OTA broadcast from '84-85 -
after which my family started subscribing to cable?
Forum: Pro Audio July 29th 20, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Was lowered fidelity of 60's tv show music a function of how itwas recorded or something else in the production pipeline?

Peter Irwin:

Then what the hell did I read back in 1980-something?

MTS stereo was an improvement in broadcast TV sound, not just spatially, but in the
way it was carried on the broadcast channel. ...
Forum: Pro Audio July 28th 20, 06:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Was lowered fidelity of 60's tv show music a function of how itwas recorded or something else in the production pipeline?

Ty Ford:

By AM I meant not the AM Band but the format. I read such,
in print, over thirty years ago before the internet took off.
Forum: Pro Audio July 28th 20, 11:28 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Was lowered fidelity of 60's tv show music a function of how itwas recorded or something else in the production pipeline?

TV audio was amplitude-modulation-based until the
aforementioned switch to stereo broadcasts(U.S. early
'80s). Europe and Asia had stereo OTA TV several
years before us - while America as usual...
Forum: Pro Audio July 21st 20, 11:41 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 32
Posted By [email protected]
How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

Trevor wrote:
>Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.
__________
Considering their construction - I have bruised my knuckles rapping on few speaker
cabinets as rock-solid...
Forum: Pro Audio July 20th 20, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

>Yes, and sadly fluorescent green grass becomes what
>people accept as being normal and good. Similarly with music.

>geoff
___________

I've had plenty of cases of people content...
Forum: Pro Audio July 19th 20, 12:32 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

>"Flat" sounds as close as possible to the original sound.

Agreed!

>The smile EQ makes a sound more pleasant.

Which I why I get such argument from aforementioned...
Forum: Pro Audio July 19th 20, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By [email protected]
Anything to say on Speakons

I broke one over twenty years ago while teching at a local hotel
and conference center.
Forum: Pro Audio July 18th 20, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 32
Posted By [email protected]
How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

Scott, geoff:

'Flat'(speakers, headphones, etc.) is not going to sound
good, simply because our hearing is anything but!

Why do you always find smiley EQ settings or the Bass
and Treble fully...
Forum: Pro Audio July 18th 20, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 32
Posted By [email protected]
How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

geoff:

It was my first foray with passive reference monitors,
**** on it like you do most of what I contribute here,
it's all good.

Just the NS-10s with original grills on top of their OEM stands...
Forum: Pro Audio July 17th 20, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 32
Posted By [email protected]
How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

Semi-related: I recently auditioned a used pair of
NS-10Ms, and when they said FLAT they meant it.
I mean NO coloration that I detected. Of course they
sounded bass-shy, but that has more to do...
Forum: Pro Audio May 20th 20, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Radio processing

John Williamson wrote:

>Yes, you are coming from your usual starting point of profound
>ignorance about all matters relating to sound reproduction.
__________
Only an audiophile would think that...
Forum: Pro Audio May 20th 20, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Radio processing

John Williamson wrote:

>Lossy data compression and digital transmission can and
>does cause many artifacts, including "nasty and tizzy" ones
>as well as burbling mud and other problems when the...
Forum: Pro Audio May 20th 20, 12:03 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Radio processing

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>My first guess is that they are getting the audio over to the
>other site through some lossy-compressed mechanism.
>If they have internet codecs used for live remotes, that...
Forum: Pro Audio May 5th 20, 01:46 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
NVIDIA RTX Voice demo [ NSFW]

geoff wrote:

>If you listen to Faux News those bizarre random
>inane noises ARE the news.

>geoff

________
Unfortnately Faux - and all the others, carry this particular noise almost
Forum: Pro Audio May 4th 20, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
NVIDIA RTX Voice demo [ NSFW]

The flangey effect might be coming from the process of suppressing the
leafblower noise. Kind like in the aquarium. Every evening I hear noises
on the news I wish this product would work on.
Forum: Pro Audio April 26th 20, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
Wireless phones?

geoff wrote:
>35 v. 38 is neither here nor there.

_________
Always a contrary word... You never change, geoff!
Forum: Pro Audio April 26th 20, 12:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
Wireless phones?

geoff wrote:
>Dunno - have got the M40s. Probably pretty accurate description of the
>M50s though, but by no means is it extreme. M50Xs less scooped.

>But is that the *only* difference with the...
Forum: Pro Audio April 24th 20, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
Wireless phones?

Mike Rivers: Audio Technica Headphones

At the AES last fall I heard some commentary regarding both flavors of
ATH-M50 headphone, and the ATH-M40. Slightly "V-shaped" sound from
the former, and...
Forum: Pro Audio April 23rd 20, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
A little on-topic humour

Tobiah wrote:

>You guys are butchering these jokes.

________
Meaning?
Forum: Pro Audio April 22nd 20, 01:49 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
A little on-topic humour

geoff:

#6 rings sadly true!

#7 Love the Peart Kit!
Forum: Pro Audio March 14th 20, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Knock Knock!

Agent Orange

Why geoff, why?!? :D
Forum: Pro Audio March 13th 20, 04:31 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Knock Knock!

Mike Rivers wrote:

>Newbies don't want to read newsgroups or forums,
>they want to see a how-to-to-it video.

In most cases for me, written instructions are easier to follow
than a video.

Being...