Search: Posts made by: Tobiah
Forum: Pro Audio June 7th 20, 04:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 25
Posted By Tobiah
Keep the Mac or eBay it?

> I once saw a horse and cart that was really good.

I once saw sarcasm properly used :)
Forum: Pro Audio June 4th 20, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 25
Posted By Tobiah
Keep the Mac or eBay it?

> Apple software is based on a *nix kernel. That's about as close as it
> gets to being a *nix system, as the UI and other stuff is pure Apple.

From what I can tell, it's a Unix system with a...
Forum: Pro Audio June 4th 20, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 25
Posted By Tobiah
Keep the Mac or eBay it?

> Why do you feel the need change change your computer (a downgrade in
> this particular¬* model instance) that may render your current software
> unusable, or at least complicated to get it to...
Forum: Pro Audio June 4th 20, 05:23 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 25
Posted By Tobiah
Keep the Mac or eBay it?

> The thing that jumps out at me from all this is ......"Why ?".
>
> geoff

Why what?
Forum: Pro Audio June 4th 20, 04:08 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 25
Posted By Tobiah
Keep the Mac or eBay it?

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 1.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache...
Forum: Pro Audio April 25th 20, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Tobiah
A little on-topic humour

On 4/22/2020 6:48 PM, wrote:
> Tobiah wrote:
>
>> You guys are butchering these jokes.
>
> ________
> Meaning?

I was referring to an old joke. The guys in a prison block
Forum: Pro Audio April 19th 20, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By Tobiah
Wireless phones?

At home, I record solo guitar while monitoring
with wired headphones. The cable can be a problem,
getting in the way, and sometimes causing its own noise.
It just occurred to me that wireless may be...
Forum: Pro Audio April 12th 20, 03:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Tobiah
High pitched noise is affected by mouse movement.

I should note that I've disabled the Mia MIDI in Windows
through the device manager.
Forum: Pro Audio April 12th 20, 02:56 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Tobiah
High pitched noise is affected by mouse movement.

I'm using a Presonus 1810 as my main interface for Windows 10.
I hadn't had any problems. Recently (since having to work at
home) I've been dual booting into Linux. I could not get any
sound out of...
Forum: Pro Audio March 11th 20, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By Tobiah
Knock Knock!

> Like the old lady who refused to leave Pripyat.

There was an old lady from Pripyat,
who had defied the local consulate.
Three decades she stayed,
saying she wasn't afraid,
of her three-eyed and...
Forum: Pro Audio March 11th 20, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By Tobiah
Knock Knock!

> But I'm afraid we are seeing the dying gasps of Usenet

Is it that the multitude of web forums, each with their
own URL and login to remember, with their cumbersome
interfaces have replaced news...
Forum: Pro Audio January 17th 20, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

>> One popular dictionary's entry:
>>
>> 1) a period of ten years: the three decades from 1776 to 1806.
>> 2) a period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero:
>> the decade...
Forum: Pro Audio January 17th 20, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

On 1/17/20 1:38 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> [...]
Forum: Pro Audio January 16th 20, 09:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

>>> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
>>> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
>>> question.
>>>

>> The first year was year 1, making the...
Forum: Pro Audio January 9th 20, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
> question.

The first year was year 1, making the first decade...
Forum: Pro Audio January 8th 20, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 82
Posted By Tobiah
converting WAV file to MP3

On 1/8/20 8:53 AM, wrote:
> Jim Lesurf wrote:
>> IIRC I read similar reports some years ago somewhere like in JAES. Perhaps
>> due to becoming habituated to the sound of...
Forum: Pro Audio January 8th 20, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

>> We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
>> remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.
>
> Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at...
Forum: Pro Audio January 2nd 20, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.
>
> I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass...
Forum: Pro Audio December 31st 19, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

On 12/31/19 5:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 01:36:01 +1300, geoff >
> wrote:
>
>> It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody...
Forum: Pro Audio December 31st 19, 12:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Tobiah
dynamic omni vs condenser for low noise.

On 12/30/2019 2:33 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/30/2019 4:58 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>> It would seem that a dynamic mic has no self-noise, is that so?
>
> You would get better answers if your...
Forum: Pro Audio December 30th 19, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Tobiah
dynamic omni vs condenser for low noise.

It would seem that a dynamic mic has no self-noise, is that so?
Yet to get the same gain as a condenser one has to crank the gain
up much more on the dynamic, raising the noise level. Is it ever
the...
Forum: Pro Audio December 28th 19, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Tobiah
Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

> More likely a combination of inadvertent key-presses on the keyboard
> that has disabled the sustain pedal.
>
> geoff

Good guess, but MIDI-OX (Thanks Mike) wasn't showing expected
data for a...
Forum: Pro Audio December 28th 19, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/27/2019 11:41 AM, Tobiah wrote:
> On 12/27/19 4:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>
> Switch is normally open, but notes don't sustain either way.

Not that it matters for the discussion, but I chose...
Forum: Pro Audio December 27th 19, 07:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Tobiah
Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/27/19 4:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

Switch is normally open, but notes don't sustain either way.

I'm not playing sounds through the keyboard, but going into
a sofware synth via usb MIDI out. I...
Forum: Pro Audio December 27th 19, 01:41 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Tobiah
Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

I went to play a piano piece tonight, and the sustain pedal wasn't
working. Yamaha So8 -> USB MIDI -> Windows 10 -> any program I try.

So I knew it was the pedal, because I've had it for around 20...