Search: Posts made by: Phil Allison[_4_]
Forum: Pro Audio September 17th 20, 11:36 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 1
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Old Farts at Play ?

Hi,

no disrespect intended - but take a look at this recent smart phone vid of "Badge" featuring Eric Clapton and Ronnie Woods on guitars plus 3 drummers making up for Ginger Baker who unfortunately...
Forum: Pro Audio September 15th 20, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Adversity inspires genius ?

** Hi to all,

lack of live venue availability has boosted home recording activity this year.

While not exactly "Live to U-tube", this effort is on another level from most.

Watch the finished...
Forum: Pro Audio September 12th 20, 05:08 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
New Member TEAC 3340 Reel to Reel

saxxml wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
> since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
> available. I'm located 15 miles outside...
Forum: Pro Audio August 21st 20, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
How was audio level balance of older movies controlled before tape?

Brassplyer wrote:

================
> Movies like Gone With The Wind, The Wizard Of Oz, all those MGM musicals - they often had fairly involved soundtracks - on-set spoken dialogue and other sounds,...
Forum: Pro Audio July 26th 20, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Les Cargill Lunatic ****wit Troll wrote:

==================================
> Phil Allison wrote:
> > Les Cargill Lunatic Troll wrote:
> > =================================

Forum: Pro Audio July 25th 20, 05:11 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Les Cargill Lunatic Troll wrote:
=================================

> > You are kidding right?
>
> No, not at all.
>
> > All my PA speaker boxes have Speakon in and out.

Forum: Pro Audio July 23rd 20, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Les Cargill wrote:

===============

> For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had two
> 1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples with
> Speakon,...
Forum: Pro Audio July 22nd 20, 05:23 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Scott Dorsey wrote:

====================

> You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P
> connectors either, all of which are popular for speakers.

To "daisy chain" speakers...
Forum: Pro Audio July 22nd 20, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Mike Rivers wrote:

==================

> (a) are (at least so far unique to loudspeakers so you won't mistakenly
> plug a cable from a microphone into a loudspeaker and wonder why it's
> not...
Forum: Pro Audio July 22nd 20, 05:09 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Mike Rivers wrote:
=================
> Phil Allison wrote:
>
> > ** One word -*microphones*.
>
> I'm a generalist. I know what works for all balanced connections but I
> don't know what works for...
Forum: Pro Audio July 21st 20, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Mike Rivers wrote:

=================

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > Note: The internal symmetry of a co-ax cable is the secret to its excellent mag field rejection. Equal and opposite currents...
Forum: Pro Audio July 21st 20, 11:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

John Williamson wrote:

-----------------------

** Most of John's post is pure myth - the benefits of balanced mic lines are way overrated. ( more later)

> For professionals, the advantage of...
Forum: Pro Audio July 21st 20, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

John Williamson wrote:

======================

> > High end people don't want secure and reliable, they want options for
> > tweaking
>
> I suspect a lot of them also want something they can see...
Forum: Pro Audio July 19th 20, 09:08 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anything to say on Speakons

Tatonik wrote:

=============

> I'm planning on terminating some speaker cables with Speakon connectors.
> I've plugged in Speakons a few times, but never built any cables with
> them. In...
Forum: Pro Audio July 18th 20, 03:28 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 0
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Sleazy parents exploiting kids ?

Hi,

This US family have been making one new music vid per day, using their kids for free. Dad is the only professional.

Eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4caS5_5lo

There are 50 or more like...
Forum: Pro Audio July 17th 20, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 32
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

geoff wrote:

============

> My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
> instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !

Forum: Pro Audio July 16th 20, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price is a tedious ****** wrote:

> How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
> (eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.)...
Forum: Pro Audio July 11th 20, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Another Mic Shootout

mcp6453 wrote silly nonsense as usual

-------------------------------------

> Here's an interesting mic test.

** No it isn't.

> I'm surprised how muddy the 44BX is and
> how bright the 77DX...
Forum: Pro Audio May 13th 20, 11:09 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
My Corona ?

Hi,

this home made vid is well produced, well played and damn funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2cFN2iC9u8&list=RD-2cFN2iC9u8&start_radio=1

I particularly like the teen girl with the...
Forum: Pro Audio April 20th 20, 12:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Wireless phones?

Tobiah wrote:

--------------------
> At home, I record solo guitar while monitoring
> with wired headphones. The cable can be a problem,
> getting in the way, and sometimes causing its own noise.
Forum: Vacuum Tubes April 6th 20, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Distortion please...Amp Distortion

Xtrchessreal wrote:

--------------------

> I have a DIY amp built to Marshall 2204 circuit specs that is about 15 years old now. I use it at my gigs. I want to experiment a bit.
>
> A couple...
Forum: Pro Audio April 5th 20, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Tube Amp Question

wrote:

-------------------------
> I have a Egnater Rebel-20 guitar amp head which is very versatile along with some nice features: multi-tap output transformer, effects loop,...
Forum: Pro Audio February 17th 20, 06:41 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Event 20/20 bas Filter Cap Question

wrote:

--------------------------

> Yes, it's a real pain to solve vibration issues in an active speaker.

** Not really, just smother everything is "Yellow Glue" and make...
Forum: Pro Audio February 7th 20, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
dynamic omni vs condenser for low noise.

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

> The noise of the pre-amp should be negligible when compared with these
> two sources of microphone noise. Most modern pre-amps will achieve...
Forum: Pro Audio November 30th 19, 12:56 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Whirlwind cables ?