Search: Posts made by: Tobiah
Forum: Pro Audio January 17th 20, 06:17 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

>> One popular dictionary's entry:
>>
>> 1) a period of ten years: the three decades from 1776 to 1806.
>> 2) a period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero:
>> the decade...
Forum: Pro Audio January 17th 20, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

On 1/17/20 1:38 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> [...]
Forum: Pro Audio January 16th 20, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

>>> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
>>> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
>>> question.
>>>

>> The first year was year 1, making the...
Forum: Pro Audio January 9th 20, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
> question.

The first year was year 1, making the first decade...
Forum: Pro Audio January 8th 20, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 82
Posted By Tobiah
converting WAV file to MP3

On 1/8/20 8:53 AM, wrote:
> Jim Lesurf wrote:
>> IIRC I read similar reports some years ago somewhere like in JAES. Perhaps
>> due to becoming habituated to the sound of...
Forum: Pro Audio January 8th 20, 05:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

>> We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
>> remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.
>
> Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at...
Forum: Pro Audio January 2nd 20, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.
>
> I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass...
Forum: Pro Audio December 31st 19, 08:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Tobiah
NY

On 12/31/19 5:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 01:36:01 +1300, geoff >
> wrote:
>
>> It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody...
Forum: Pro Audio December 31st 19, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Tobiah
dynamic omni vs condenser for low noise.

On 12/30/2019 2:33 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/30/2019 4:58 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>> It would seem that a dynamic mic has no self-noise, is that so?
>
> You would get better answers if your...
Forum: Pro Audio December 30th 19, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Tobiah
dynamic omni vs condenser for low noise.

It would seem that a dynamic mic has no self-noise, is that so?
Yet to get the same gain as a condenser one has to crank the gain
up much more on the dynamic, raising the noise level. Is it ever
the...
Forum: Pro Audio December 28th 19, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Tobiah
Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

> More likely a combination of inadvertent key-presses on the keyboard
> that has disabled the sustain pedal.
>
> geoff

Good guess, but MIDI-OX (Thanks Mike) wasn't showing expected
data for a...
Forum: Pro Audio December 28th 19, 02:34 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/27/2019 11:41 AM, Tobiah wrote:
> On 12/27/19 4:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>
> Switch is normally open, but notes don't sustain either way.

Not that it matters for the discussion, but I chose...
Forum: Pro Audio December 27th 19, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Tobiah
Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/27/19 4:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

Switch is normally open, but notes don't sustain either way.

I'm not playing sounds through the keyboard, but going into
a sofware synth via usb MIDI out. I...
Forum: Pro Audio December 27th 19, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Tobiah
Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

I went to play a piano piece tonight, and the sustain pedal wasn't
working. Yamaha So8 -> USB MIDI -> Windows 10 -> any program I try.

So I knew it was the pedal, because I've had it for around 20...
Forum: Pro Audio December 23rd 19, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Tobiah
Comparing noise levels

On 12/23/19 9:42 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/23/2019 12:29 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>> Say one mic has a self-noise figure of 5dBA, and another is 10dBA.
>> How much louder is the noise going to be from...
Forum: Pro Audio December 23rd 19, 06:29 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Tobiah
Comparing noise levels

Say one mic has a self-noise figure of 5dBA, and
another is 10dBA. How much louder is the noise
going to be from the second mic, both electrically
and perceptually?
Forum: Pro Audio December 18th 19, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Tobiah
Defeating digital mixer in audio interface.

My interface has an option that disables all internal
mixing. No monitor mix available, and I guess, one would
have to do all other routing within the DAW. Why would
a person want to do this? Is...
Forum: Pro Audio December 4th 19, 02:03 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 0
Posted By Tobiah
TRRS extention for TRS phones

I need an extension cable for some phones that end in 3.5mm TRS.
I was thinking I'd get a TRRS just in case I ever needed the mic
function through the cable later.

It seems like the TRRS would be...
Forum: Pro Audio November 7th 19, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 14
Posted By Tobiah
Comparing two audio interace mice pre's for self noise.

On 11/5/2019 9:32 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> Tobiah is a LYINGgPiece of **** wrote:

I apologize to you and the group for being a party
to a conversation that took an ugly turn.

All positive from...
Forum: Pro Audio November 6th 19, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/5/2019 12:26 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> Tobiah the Nut Case wrote:

A rose by any other name...

> ** LOL wot a ******.

Yep, and I get more action than you.
Forum: Pro Audio November 5th 19, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 14
Posted By Tobiah
Comparing two audio interace mice pre's for self noise.

> FFS stop feeing this seriously demented "Tobia" troll.
> You are totally ****ing wasting both your and our time.

I'm sorry that circumstances have put you in a position in
life that causes you to...
Forum: Pro Audio November 1st 19, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 14
Posted By Tobiah
Comparing two audio interace mice pre's for self noise.

How would you do it? I have one of those 150 Ohm terminators
that you guys told me how to make. Given two USB audio interfaces,
what would be your procedure for comparing the two units...
Forum: Pro Audio November 1st 19, 01:45 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Tobiah
Can't get system sounds through my Presonus 18/10

I choose the Presonus outputs 1/2 as my system wide sound output
in the sound control panel in Windows 10. Reaper is working fine
and as expected with this interface. Now, when I try to get...
Forum: Pro Audio October 28th 19, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Tobiah
Better bandwidth than USB-2?

> What do you want increased throughput for? For disks, USB3 is a considerable
> performance win.
> --scott

I use synths and samplers, and sometimes monitor a guitar through
a VST effect, etc. ...
Forum: Pro Audio October 27th 19, 01:01 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Tobiah
Better bandwidth than USB-2?

I have a PreSonus Studio 1810. For $100 more, I
could have it's descendant, the 1810c, which, apart
from a couple of tweaks to the software, seems only
to sport the new USB type.

In this case, I...