Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Fisher 30-A amp

On 2020-03-03 02:18, Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE wrote:
> When the EL84 start pulling grid current the difference of
> impedance of the cathode side and the anode side of the phase
> splitter comes into...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes March 5th 20, 12:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Fisher 30-A amp

On 2020-03-03 01:08, G.Re wrote:

> "Big Bad Bob" wrote in message
>
> On 2020-03-01 00:56, G.Re wrote:
> * No, R9(2K2) & R11(33K)...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes March 1st 20, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Fisher 30-A amp

On 2020-03-01 00:56, G.Re wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> What is the reason the Fisher 30-A uses (very) different valued grid
> resistors for the power tubes?
> - R9 = 2K2 for V2
> - R4 = 33K for V3
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 26th 19, 08:42 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
171a

On 2019-07-22 12:21, Peter Wieck wrote:
> Refurbishing a globe tube - not so much.

at some point in time, may be no other alternative...

I'd just be curious if anyone's willing to do that.
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 25th 19, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Tip-Cutting Pliers

On 2019-07-17 08:08, Peter Wieck wrote:
> https://www.ebay.com/p/Crescent-USA-Made-Old-Stock-4-1-2-Needle-Nose-Tip-Cutting-Wiring-Pliers/28027599507
>
> Not a bad price for a US-made tool. And...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 25th 19, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
171a

On 2019-07-22 12:21, Peter Wieck wrote:
> For most "popular" vintage radio tubes (Valves), there are solid-state replacements. And a small amplifying triode such as the 71A is a trivial exercise...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 21st 19, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
'getting the most out of vacuum tubes' by Tomer

On 2019-05-10 07:22, wrote:
> not sure why they wanted a 300 watt bass amp for studio recording

usually it's "headroom" - or "Max Headroom" C-C-C-Catch the wave!

Seriously...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 21st 19, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 12
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Best new EL84 tubes?

> ** FYI, I have a prototype 2x EL84 output stage here that delivers over 50 watts with low THD and no overheating. The trick is to use a split supply of 325V and 650V for screens and plates...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 21st 19, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
171a

On 2019-07-15 18:15, buffstereo wrote:> On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at
5:23:18 AM UTC-7, Peter Wieck wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2:05:49 AM UTC-4, Paul James wrote:
>>> Does anyone here...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 15th 19, 07:40 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Capacitor connected cathodes in PP output

On 2019-05-10 06:33, wrote:
> Ran across an amp that has a 5 mf cap connecting the cathodes in a PP output amplifier.
>
> Looking through RDH for info on this arrangement I can...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 15th 19, 07:11 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 12
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Best new EL84 tubes?

On 2019-04-02 18:50, Phil Allison wrote:
> Most recent models from PV, Fender and VOX run their EL84s waaayyyy too hot and burn them out in short order.

keeps costs down, but requires frequent tube...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes March 29th 19, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
What 60 HZ Feels Like - Even Some On-Topic Stuff

On 03/29/19 11:32, Peter Wieck wrote:
> Amazing amount of mechanical-feedback devices in use in these plants - it seems that VFDs and great many "modern" grid-tie devices are simply not sufficiently...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 8th 19, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 8
Posted By Big Bad Bob
What company made the best vintage Test Equipment?

On 02/07/19 19:02, Roger Kulp wrote:
> While we are on this subject,can anybody recommend somebody who could repair or restore a nonworking tube tester?

actually it would depend on a) what kind...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 5th 19, 09:19 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 13
Posted By Big Bad Bob
The most important tubes ever made.....

On 02/04/19 00:35, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 16:17:27 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison
> > wrote:
>> Of course, the speakers fitted to combo amps have limited response, 70...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 3rd 19, 11:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 02/02/19 17:26, wrote:
> Big Bad Bob wrote:
>

>> And of course a guitar amp is probably going to be designed to pass a
>> more limited frequency range. You can see...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 2nd 19, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 01/24/19 16:36, wrote:
> Unfortunately these days I am running solid state amps. 1100 watts RMS
> to be exact. It has good sound, but there is still something missing,
> namely...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes January 19th 19, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 3
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Does anyone have any Eico tube stereos or manuals?

On 01/05/19 16:48, wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 11:48:34 -0800, Big Bad Bob
> > wrote:
>
>> On 12/29/18 17:07, ...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes January 19th 19, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 01/08/19 17:18, wrote:

>>> I did like the shoelaces post, however.
>>
>> I have no idea what you're talking about!!!!
>>>

> What I'm talking about was a tongue-in-cheek...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes January 17th 19, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 01/03/19 14:54, wrote:
> I am glad this forum is still here and sort of active. I enjoy working
> on tube equip for my hobby. If I had to work on solid state stuff, my
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 31st 18, 07:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 12/29/18 17:07, wrote:
> I have a new power transformer, which says "for Eico Stereo". But that
> is all I know. It's just a hand written label, stuck on the bottom.
>
> The...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 31st 18, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 12/27/18 19:11, wrote:
> The most important tubes ever made.....
>
> 12AX7
> 12AU7
> 12AT7
>
> 6V6
> 6L6
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 31st 18, 07:25 PM Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 25
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Tube mono-block amp with SIX 6L6 outut tubes

On 12/28/18 09:16, bitrex wrote:

> All amps of that scale should have active protection
> circuitry/monitoring of currents, biases, and temperatures via
> microprocessor to avoid potentially...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 31st 18, 07:14 PM Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes

On 12/29/18 10:27, Tauno Voipio wrote:
> On 29.12.18 01:32, Chris wrote:
>> On 12/28/18 03:11, wrote:
>>> I found a schematic of a stereo amplifier containing TWELVE 6L6 audio
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 18th 18, 06:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 2
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Looking for links and order info for PARTS

On 12/15/18 17:55, wrote:
> Anyhow, there are places like Mouser, Digikey, Allied, etc. I have
> looked at their websites and feel lost.... Just too much to sort thru.
> Not to...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 18th 18, 06:18 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 5
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Anyone know where to find a Crosley Model 23 Dial Cord diagram