Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
rarity of LF and HF adjustable coils, coil forms, etc.

On 2021-04-02 00:50, Big Bad Bob wrote:
> There seems to be a general LACK of non-N.O.S. and
> non-ripped-out-of-gear RF coils for LF and HF band, ESPECIALLY the coil
> forms needed to wind your...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes April 2nd 21, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 7
Posted By Big Bad Bob
What 60 HZ Feels Like - Even Some On-Topic Stuff

On 2021-03-16 22:13, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> Each week, the Diesels would be fired up for 30 minutes or so for
> testing. There was a big meter mounted between the Diesels. Apparently,
> the needle...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes April 2nd 21, 08:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
rarity of LF and HF adjustable coils, coil forms, etc.

There seems to be a general LACK of non-N.O.S. and
non-ripped-out-of-gear RF coils for LF and HF band, ESPECIALLY the coil
forms needed to wind your own, particularly ADJUSTABLE ones.

If you're...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 12th 21, 06:35 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 6
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Article from 2012 - "nano" vacuum tube

On 2021-02-09 16:41, Lord Valve wrote:
> It actually *is* a vacuum tube, but it's pretty flaky. There are a bunch
> of effects pedals out now (and an amp or two) which use it. Here's
> a couple of...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 9th 21, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 6
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Article from 2012 - "nano" vacuum tube

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/05/return-vacuum-tube

<quote>
The new device is a cross between today's transistors and the vacuum
tubes of yesteryear. It's small and easily manufactured, but...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 17th 20, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 16
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Triode Naming Convention

On 2020-10-15 19:26, Phil Allison wrote:
> Big Bad Boob wrote:
>
> =================
> Phil Allison wrote:[i]
>>> FFS give up posting wild guesses as fact.
>>
>> which ones?
>
> ** All of...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 14th 20, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 16
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Triode Naming Convention

On 2020-10-09 15:20, Phil Allison wrote:
> FFS give up posting wild guesses as fact.

which ones?

It's not like I haven't built a bunch of guitar amps since I was a
teenager, both tubes AND...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 9th 20, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Lies, Damn Lies, and Global Warming

On 2020-10-06 07:02, Peter Wieck wrote:
> Western Electric is still making tubes, in the US.
>
> https://www.westernelectric.com/

yeah, I can just quote the claims on their web site. Maybe...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 9th 20, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 16
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Triode Naming Convention

On 2020-10-04 20:30, Phil Allison wrote:
>>> This might inject up to 1mV into pin 2 if the grid source impedance were *10Mohms*. However, for a MM phono cartridge, the impedance is 1kohm at 50/60Hz...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 4th 20, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 16
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Triode Naming Convention

On 2020-10-02 16:34, Phil Allison wrote:
> Xtrchessreal wrote:
>
> =======================
>>>>

>>> ** The 2 triodes of a 12AX7...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 4th 20, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 0
Posted By Big Bad Bob
tube-making, the equipment, and the process

Peter Wieck suggested some videos, and I found others, that might he
helpful to anyone who might want to make tubes.

These two go over the needed equipment (poor audio quality...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 2nd 20, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 2
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Multi-Section Capacitors - "Empties"

On 2020-10-02 08:34, Peter Wieck wrote:
> The problem with cardboard in close quarters with vacuum tube equipment is the heat. The multi-section cap in my Dynaco ST35 is less than two inches from the...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 1st 20, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 16
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Triode Naming Convention

On 2020-09-30 23:09, Xtrchessreal wrote:
> There are a few schematics that show the pin numbers for each triode added to the design of the circuit.

looks like that's the only reliable way to know...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes September 30th 20, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 16
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Triode Naming Convention

On 2020-08-29 01:50, Xtrchessreal wrote:
> The question is simple: When it comes to schematics e.g. I see V1A and V1B How do I know which triode this refers to is V1A Pins 123 and V1B 678. Most...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes September 30th 20, 06:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 2020-05-04 15:43, Peter Wieck wrote:
> This has probably been asked-and-answered before, but:
>
> I am looking for multi-section "empties" - that would be the can and the phenolic wafer - so I...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes March 5th 20, 12:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Fisher 30-A amp

On 2020-03-03 02:18, Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE wrote:
> When the EL84 start pulling grid current the difference of
> impedance of the cathode side and the anode side of the phase
> splitter comes into...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes March 5th 20, 12:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Fisher 30-A amp

On 2020-03-03 01:08, G.Re wrote:

> "Big Bad Bob" wrote in message
>
> On 2020-03-01 00:56, G.Re wrote:
> * No, R9(2K2) & R11(33K)...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes March 1st 20, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Fisher 30-A amp

On 2020-03-01 00:56, G.Re wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> What is the reason the Fisher 30-A uses (very) different valued grid
> resistors for the power tubes?
> - R9 = 2K2 for V2
> - R4 = 33K for V3
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 26th 19, 08:42 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
171a

On 2019-07-22 12:21, Peter Wieck wrote:
> Refurbishing a globe tube - not so much.

at some point in time, may be no other alternative...

I'd just be curious if anyone's willing to do that.
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 25th 19, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Tip-Cutting Pliers

On 2019-07-17 08:08, Peter Wieck wrote:
> https://www.ebay.com/p/Crescent-USA-Made-Old-Stock-4-1-2-Needle-Nose-Tip-Cutting-Wiring-Pliers/28027599507
>
> Not a bad price for a US-made tool. And...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 25th 19, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
171a

On 2019-07-22 12:21, Peter Wieck wrote:
> For most "popular" vintage radio tubes (Valves), there are solid-state replacements. And a small amplifying triode such as the 71A is a trivial exercise...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 21st 19, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
'getting the most out of vacuum tubes' by Tomer

On 2019-05-10 07:22, wrote:
> not sure why they wanted a 300 watt bass amp for studio recording

usually it's "headroom" - or "Max Headroom" C-C-C-Catch the wave!

Seriously...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 21st 19, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 12
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Best new EL84 tubes?

> ** FYI, I have a prototype 2x EL84 output stage here that delivers over 50 watts with low THD and no overheating. The trick is to use a split supply of 325V and 650V for screens and plates...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 21st 19, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Big Bad Bob
171a

On 2019-07-15 18:15, buffstereo wrote:> On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at
5:23:18 AM UTC-7, Peter Wieck wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2:05:49 AM UTC-4, Paul James wrote:
>>> Does anyone here...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 15th 19, 07:40 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Big Bad Bob
Capacitor connected cathodes in PP output