Search: Posts made by: Howard Stone
Forum: High End Audio October 28th 19, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 9:24:59 PM UTC+1, Peter Wieck wrote:
> On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> > In fact twice now I've been bowled over by the difference...
Forum: High End Audio September 20th 19, 10:45 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

On Thursday, 19 September 2019 11:00:48 UTC+1, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/09/2019 7:53 pm, Howard Stone wrote:
> > Well the Radford is back and it has been working well for the past week=
, with...
Forum: High End Audio September 20th 19, 10:45 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

I haven’t ever paired the Krell with the 149s, the Krell is with a pair of Spendor SP1s. My plan is to live with the Radford/149 combination a few more days, just to really get used to it and know...
Forum: High End Audio September 18th 19, 10:53 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Well the Radford is back and it has been working well for the past week, with my little Rogers JR149s. The bass is MUCH tighter.

My plan is to hold on to it for a couple of weeks or so, just to...
Forum: High End Audio September 10th 19, 11:08 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Howard Stone
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

I don’t think Trevor, that the problem was caused by the fact that it’s a tube amp. I mean, in principle valve amps are as robust as SS aren’t they - apart from the fact that the tubes wear...
Forum: High End Audio September 5th 19, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Part of my problem is that my 6 hours with the amp made me fall in love with it, so I want one!

My plan is to let the person who sold it to me have a go at repairing it. If it arrives and works for...
Forum: High End Audio September 2nd 19, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Well it arrived and was hooked up to the Rogers JR149s!

And wonderful, I listened to it twice and both times after it had warmed up for 15 minutes the sound was just glorious! And it helped greatly...
Forum: High End Audio August 26th 19, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Howard Stone
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

In fact, the Krell did develop a slight problem. The fan would become noisy=
, a sort of rattle noise. If you turned it on and off then it would stop, b=
ut still I thought it was best to get it...
Forum: High End Audio August 26th 19, 09:07 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Cheers Peter. This is similar to the advice I got from the engineer who fixed the Krell from me, he basically said that these things shouldn’t make too much of a difference and anyway they could...
Forum: High End Audio August 26th 19, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Howard Stone
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Someone is offering me one of these for a good price. HOWEVER a Radford expert says that it has been modified

1. It appears to be using HT capacitors in series with balancing resistors (probably to...
Forum: High End Audio June 7th 19, 04:05 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Stone
JR 149s

Thanks for the reply. I’ve never heard stacked ESL 57s. Someone tried to sell me a pair of them quite recently for a good price (assuming they don’t need servicing soon) - but they’re just too...
Forum: High End Audio June 6th 19, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Stone
JR 149s

Do you think it would help to stack two pairs of them?

They are cute, cheap, have a sweet midrange, easily sellable. So I’m exploring even the most off the wall options!
Forum: High End Audio June 6th 19, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Stone
JR 149s

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 16:22:32 UTC+1, wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 1:12:27 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> > What are people's experiences with JR 149s?

Forum: High End Audio June 5th 19, 06:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Stone
JR 149s

What are people's experiences with JR 149s?

I have a pair being driven by a Quad 520 . The sound is not very satisfactory -- it sounds "amplified" I wonder if people have found a really successful...
Forum: High End Audio June 5th 19, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Howard Stone
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

On Monday, 3 June 2019 19:15:25 UTC+1, Peter Wieck wrote:
> Howard:
>
> I sent you an e-mail via google groups earlier. Did you get it?
>
> Please remove spaces and add the appropriate symbols:
Forum: High End Audio May 21st 19, 02:00 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 8
Posted By Howard Stone
Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 300

Thanks for your input.

The Krell is fabulous! It has really opened my eyes to what hifi can do, an=
d now I have a sound which is more like live music than I=E2=80=99ve ever h=
ad at home...
Forum: High End Audio May 20th 19, 12:19 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 8
Posted By Howard Stone
Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 300

Hi

Has anyone had any experience of this amp? Someone has offered me one and I wonder if there’s anything important I need to be aware of.

Are they unreliable?
Forum: High End Audio May 15th 19, 10:51 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Howard Stone
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

They boom if I put them in corners or low down, the most intolerable negati=
ve consequence is bass boom.=20

I have a pair of JR 149s, which I love. Jim Rogers made wall brackets for t=
hem and I...
Forum: High End Audio May 14th 19, 10:46 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Howard Stone
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

Thanks for all these interesting , stimulating.

The «*really annoying*» thing is just that the speakers can’t be hidden away in corners or low down or flat against a wall in some unintrusive...
Forum: High End Audio May 9th 19, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Howard Stone
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

The speakers I have are really annoying because, to get them sounding as good as they should, they need to be positioned in places I don't want them to be. 1m from walls etc.

I want my speakers low...
Forum: High End Audio May 8th 19, 08:33 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Howard Stone
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

Brilliant, thanks for your advice.
Forum: High End Audio May 7th 19, 10:47 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Howard Stone
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

Oh the other thing Jez said to me which maybe he of interest was this

“There are speaker fuses at the output which are supposed to be 4A, 5A was found to be fitted. Such high values are unlikely...
Forum: High End Audio May 6th 19, 02:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Howard Stone
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

This may be of interest

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/rebuild-of-classic-krell-ksa50-=
fan-heater.227491/

(Still not heard it yet -- the latest info is slightly worrying in fact, I...