Search: Posts made by: Peter Wieck[_2_]
Forum: High End Audio July 9th 20, 06:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Skybuck's Top 35 Synthesizer/Retrowave/DarkSynth/Chip/GlitchMusic Recommendations

Not exactly my taste, but I am glad you are enjoying yourself.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: Vacuum Tubes May 26th 20, 05:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Lies, Damn Lies, and Global Warming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJVcVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7yvvq-9ytE

Hey, I found it on YouTube, therefore it is 100% "THE TRUTH".
Forum: High End Audio April 18th 20, 12:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 0
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Dynaco FM3 T72

I am looking for a T72 stereo discriminator can for a Dynaco FM3 - this is the short can that lives on the MPX board. The one in the unit I am restoring has a shattered slug that has divided into six...
Forum: High End Audio February 21st 20, 08:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 31
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Attenuate highest highs?

On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 3:36:32 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **Why? XLRs are very good connectors. They're robust, easy to wire up
> and earth makes first and breaks last. Adapters are...
Forum: High End Audio February 21st 20, 12:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 31
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Attenuate highest highs?

I have to question the suggestion of a device with exclusively XLR inputs and outputs (1/4" phone jacks for auxiliary output) for a non-commercial Audio 2.0 application.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio February 20th 20, 01:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 31
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Attenuate highest highs?

Snark Warning!

This from last year in another thread:

As it happens, and apart from (very) exceptional room acoustics, your...
Forum: High End Audio February 18th 20, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 31
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Attenuate highest highs?

Please note the interpolations.

> so there might be relevant info there. I'm using a very basic pre-amp with no tone controls and a certain Dynaco ST120 power amp. There is a pass-through crossover...
Forum: High End Audio February 14th 20, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 31
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Attenuate highest highs?

I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is being dissipated in the high range. And, the brute fact of the...
Forum: High End Audio February 14th 20, 12:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 31
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Attenuate highest highs?

What are you using for a pre-amp/power amp and/or integrated amp? Does it have tone controls? A small cut to the treble might solve this neatly. But:

I run an AR Athena sub-sat system in my office...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes January 20th 20, 12:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 18
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Restoring a TV-7/U Tube Tester

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 7:24:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Hi hugeswow
> I just find a TV7 U first génération
> If si possible I would like to havé thé plate Line procedure...
Forum: High End Audio November 8th 19, 07:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Motional feedback in speakers

Ummmmmm.....

A speaker is a linear motor with a magnet, and a commutator (voice coil). Just as in a PM Motor, when current is applied, the motor spins. DC motors spin according to the polarity of...
Forum: High End Audio November 7th 19, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Motional feedback in speakers

Take the (permanent magnet) speaker as a linear motor.

Now, for illustrative purposes, obtain a small DC brush-type motor. Spin it with your fingers. Now, short the leads to the motor. Now, try...
Forum: High End Audio November 5th 19, 12:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Motional feedback in speakers

No surprise at all, back in the day when tube-based amplifier damping factors were somewhere between 10 and 15 on a good day with a tailwind, and acoustic suspension was uncommon. The 'cure' for...
Forum: High End Audio October 28th 19, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC

On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 1:00:38 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:

> DACs matter it seems!

I will agree that DACs, as with any other component in the chain, do matter.

What does not matter in...
Forum: High End Audio October 21st 19, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

Mpffffff....

Now, we need to get into the difference between "accuracy" and "precision" - which for the record, are not even a little bit the same thing.

Accuracy: A digital thermometer...
Forum: High End Audio October 16th 19, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

a) Argument-by-exception is, generally, fallacious.
b) Anything including a coil that carries current will be inductive.
c) Most well-designed speakers using conventional drivers that include...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 16th 19, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Dynaco ST-35, A First

Phil:

I sat on my fingers on this one for a while, but you are such a sad waste of air, food and space, and cannot resist making an utter fool of yourself. I am glad to help the process.

I will...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes September 25th 19, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Dynaco ST-35, A First

I keep a Dynaco system in my office consisting of a PAS 3x, FM 3 and an ST 35, and includes a Sony 5-disk CD changer. As it happens the 35 is a first-issue device with the US-made output...
Forum: High End Audio September 18th 19, 01:04 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 5:53:07 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:

> I think the big thing I've learned, thanks to my adventures with the Krell and the Radford, is that the amp really does...
Forum: High End Audio September 16th 19, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

IF all you are doing is wanting to power speakers at a reasonable listening level in a reasonably sized room, and you do not want ear-bleed levels, your major task in this case is managing...
Forum: High End Audio September 12th 19, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

https://www.eeweb.com/tools/parallel-wire-inductance

This website will allow you to calculate inductance by giving it the gauge, type and nature of the wire you are using. You will find, pretty...
Forum: High End Audio September 11th 19, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

OK... getting down to basics:

Electrolytic capacitors are essentially chemical engines. The materials dev=
eloped over the last 20 years have greatly improved along with longevity an=
d reliability,...
Forum: High End Audio September 10th 19, 12:54 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

OK, OK, I will bite! Minor rant to follow:=20

Tube vs. Solid State on reliability:

There are not so very many 60-year old components in operation these days u=
nmodified since-new. My oldest tube...
Forum: High End Audio September 6th 19, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

Almost the entire reason for a hobby is to be able to indulge in pointless behavior without consequence.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio September 5th 19, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 11:11:30 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> Part of my problem is that my 6 hours with the amp made me fall in love w=
ith it, so I want one!
>=20

OK - and...