Search: Posts made by: Mike Rivers[_2_]
Forum: Pro Audio June 28th 20, 12:31 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
CD Burner Recommendation

On 6/27/2020 10:35 PM, Jason wrote:
> Computers for sale now usually do not come with a CD drive. In the old days, Plextor drives
> earned the best reviews.

> What's best these days? I still have...
Forum: Pro Audio June 9th 20, 11:47 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
dB Magazine

On 6/9/2020 12:14 AM, wrote:
> For anyone interested, there are currently 222 issues
> of dB Magazine available to view online at archive.org:

I have a collection of 100 or...
Forum: Pro Audio June 4th 20, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 25
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Keep the Mac or eBay it?

On 6/4/2020 10:53 AM, Tobiah wrote:
>> Why do you feel the need change change your computer

> Mostly because it's a Unix system.* I'm a programmer
> by trade, and I spend a lot of time on the...
Forum: Pro Audio May 25th 20, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
E/V RE10 vs RE15

On 5/24/2020 8:22 PM, Tatonik wrote:

> I read that the Electro-Voice RE10 and RE15 are the same design except
> that the former doesn't meet the specification of latter. Is it worth
> it to pay...
Forum: Pro Audio May 10th 20, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Oktava ORTF question

On 5/10/2020 5:40 PM, Tatonik wrote:

> I have an Oktava MK-012 pair that I'd like to use in an ORTF setup.* At
> the moment I only have the hypercardioid capsules, not the cardioid.
> It's my...
Forum: Pro Audio April 26th 20, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Wireless phones?

On 4/26/2020 2:31 AM, geoff wrote:
> No. Plenty of analogue systems around.

Have we forgotten how this discussion started? The original poster, for
whatever reason, wanted to be rid of the trailing...
Forum: Pro Audio April 25th 20, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Wireless phones?

On 4/24/2020 11:15 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
> They are doubtless Bluetooth, and with Bluetooth you get delay.

If it's digital, there will be delay. We haven't solved that problem
yet. The question is...
Forum: Pro Audio April 19th 20, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Wireless phones?

On 4/19/2020 5:38 PM, geoff wrote:
> And if you read this article you may begin to appreciate what a nest or
> worms Bluetooth

Well, maybe Tobiah will be willing to trade one nest of worms for...
Forum: Pro Audio April 19th 20, 10:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Wireless phones?

On 4/19/2020 2:55 PM, John Williamson wrote:
> The main problem with digital wireless headphones, especially Bluetooth
> ones, is the latency. Whatever you play will come through the headphones
Forum: Pro Audio April 19th 20, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 27
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Wireless phones?

On 4/19/2020 12:21 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> 'd want digital transmission to the phones, and a
> no-compromise high-fidelity flat natural sound.* All of
> this for ~$100-$200.
>
> I'm going to start...
Forum: Pro Audio April 13th 20, 01:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
High pitched noise is affected by mouse movement.

Oh, and the computer connected to a Cable TV system? There's notorious
noise generators.

Forum: Pro Audio April 13th 20, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/12/2020 9:56 AM, Tobiah wrote:
> If I unplug the MIA outputs from the switch, the sound is gone.
> As soon as I bring either Echo output to the switch, with the
> Presonus selected, the sound...
Forum: Pro Audio March 13th 20, 06:29 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
m-audio firewire 410

On 3/13/2020 10:37 AM, dimercaprol wrote:
> Should I just dispose of the Firewire 410 and get a USB device instead? I am not a professional - just enjoy recording my own stuff for fun so I can't...
Forum: Pro Audio March 11th 20, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Knock Knock!

On 3/11/2020 2:42 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> Is it that the multitude of web forums, each with their
> own URL and login to remember, with their cumbersome
> interfaces have replaced news groups?

There are...
Forum: Pro Audio March 11th 20, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Knock Knock!

Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Forum: Pro Audio February 29th 20, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
alexis AD24

On 2/29/2020 12:57 AM, geoff wrote:
> Maybe if the OP could clarify that what he typed was indeed correct, or
> not, it would save everybody going off on a tangent ....

Maybe, just maybe. Too...
Forum: Pro Audio February 29th 20, 02:00 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
alexis AD24

On 2/28/2020 7:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> If he IS talking about the alesis recorder, doesn't it have lightpipe out?
> There are lightpipe-to-PCI cards out there.

I had thought about that, but...
Forum: Pro Audio February 28th 20, 11:17 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
alexis AD24

On 2/28/2020 5:55 PM, geoff wrote:
> Mike - time for a optician visit I think. *A*D 24* ;- )

Did you read what I wrote? I read AD24, but when he explained what he
wanted to do with it, I thought...
Forum: Pro Audio February 28th 20, 12:29 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
alexis AD24

On 2/28/2020 2:41 AM, hans bos wrote:
> I want to hook up my AD 24 to the computer(mac) can I do this with an ethernet cable?

AD24? Are you actually asking about the Alesis HD24 hard disk...
Forum: Pro Audio February 24th 20, 11:58 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 44
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
LAME conversion to MP3

On 2/23/2020 10:54 PM, wrote:

> To the human ear, the MP3 sounds every bit as clear as the WAV file. I seriously doubt anyone would be able to reliably distinguish between...
Forum: Pro Audio January 30th 20, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
National Edgar Allan Poe Theatre On The Air - NPR

On 1/30/2020 9:08 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
> I've been producing a series of Edgar Allan Poe radio dramas with SFX, Foley and Music since the middle of last year.

Yay!

--
For a good time, call...
Forum: Pro Audio January 29th 20, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

My famous show report for the recent NAMM show is posted. As usual, it's
a PDF that you can download and read at your leisure. Visit the Trade
Show Reports section of my web site...
Forum: Pro Audio January 11th 20, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 82
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
converting WAV file to MP3

On 1/11/2020 1:56 AM, wrote:
> Where can I find the authentic site for Razor LAME?

> https://lame.sourceforge.io/
>

> What is the main development / release /...
Forum: Pro Audio January 10th 20, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
NY

On 1/10/2020 12:00 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
> End of discussion.

For you, maybe. Others will be discussing this for the next 50 years.
Forum: Pro Audio January 8th 20, 10:47 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 66
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
12" passive radiator replacement?

On 1/7/2020 11:33 PM, Michael Beacom wrote:
> When is the Manassas Hamfest?

https://w4ovh.net/welcome-to-manassas-hamfest/

June 13 this year. ARRL.org has a hamfest calendar on line

--
For a...