Search: Posts made by: Scott Dorsey
Forum: Pro Audio February 29th 20, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Scott Dorsey
alexis AD24

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>On 2/28/2020 5:55 PM, geoff wrote:
>> Mike - time for a optician visit I think. *A*D 24* ;- )
>
>Did you read what I...
Forum: Pro Audio February 23rd 20, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 44
Posted By Scott Dorsey
LAME conversion to MP3

Andy Burns > wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> since you refuse to explain why you want to do any of this, it's hard
>> to know.
>
>I suspect the answer to that is somewhere...
Forum: Pro Audio February 23rd 20, 04:08 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 44
Posted By Scott Dorsey
LAME conversion to MP3

> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>>The thing is, the nonlinear encoding used by ADPCM isn't
>>really either of those things.
>
>Then what is it?? Come on, I'm black & white...
Forum: Pro Audio February 23rd 20, 12:55 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 44
Posted By Scott Dorsey
LAME conversion to MP3

> wrote:
>Trevor wrote:
>>I'm sure you know this, but the old compression Vs compression Vs
>>compression linguistic problem raises it's head once again.
>
>That's why, in...
Forum: Pro Audio February 21st 20, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 44
Posted By Scott Dorsey
LAME conversion to MP3

> wrote:
>On 21 Feb 2020 12:30:08 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>If I were you I'd try to do some processing to improve intelligibility rather
>>than...
Forum: Pro Audio February 21st 20, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 44
Posted By Scott Dorsey
LAME conversion to MP3

> wrote:
>On 21 Feb 2020 12:33:06 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>>I would keep the oriiginal WAV file, but web browsers can't play this
>>>particular type...
Forum: Pro Audio February 21st 20, 05:33 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 44
Posted By Scott Dorsey
LAME conversion to MP3

> wrote:
>
>You are correct. The file uses ADPCM compression, I believe, so it is
>not CD quality. It uses a bit depth of 4 bits, which is de-compressed
>when playing to 16...
Forum: Pro Audio February 21st 20, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 44
Posted By Scott Dorsey
LAME conversion to MP3

If I were you I'd try to do some processing to improve intelligibility rather
than worrying about fidelity. High pass everything below 200 Hz or so,
then low-pass everything above maybe 6KHz, and...
Forum: Pro Audio February 15th 20, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Event 20/20 bas Filter Cap Question

John Hardy > wrote:

>"Lifetime @ Temp.: 1000 Hrs @ 85°C"
>
>That is the shortest life rating at the lowest temperature I've ever seen!

"The warranty is 90 days. If it...
Forum: Pro Audio February 12th 20, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Event 20/20 bas Filter Cap Question

> wrote:
>I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which start=
>ed making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed o=
>ne of the...
Forum: Pro Audio January 30th 20, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Scott Dorsey
National Edgar Allan Poe Theatre On The Air - NPR

Ty Ford > wrote:
>I've been producing a series of Edgar Allan Poe radio dramas with SFX, Foley and Music since the middle of last year.

I saw your writeup in Radio World! ...
Forum: Pro Audio January 29th 20, 09:49 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 66
Posted By Scott Dorsey
12" passive radiator replacement?

> wrote:
>
>problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space) with destructive interference and...
Forum: Pro Audio January 28th 20, 01:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:

>20Hz-20kHz +/- 2dB. (whole speaker !)
>Max SPL 112dB
>
>geoff

IT'S A MIRACLE! Someone get the Pope on the phone immediately!
Forum: Pro Audio January 27th 20, 02:46 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

nickbatz > wrote:
> If the slope of the rolloff is very sharp (sharper than 6dB/octave), they
>> likely were designed to have been used with a subwoofer. They are from that
Forum: Pro Audio January 27th 20, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

nickbatz > wrote:
>> Pretty normal when the T/S parameters aren't suitable for a small box.
>> You often get higher efficiency than a smaller driver, but not
>> necessarily...
Forum: Pro Audio January 24th 20, 01:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

nickbatz > wrote:
>Since the world is waiting with bated breath - update: I fixed them.
>
>Not bad. Haven't connected them to my good power amp (Hafler 9505), but the biggest...
Forum: Pro Audio January 14th 20, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

nickbatz > wrote:
>EGG ON FACE.
>
>After removing the crumbled foam, it turns out that these aren't passive ra=
>diators at all, they're 12" rear-firing woofers!

No problem,...
Forum: Pro Audio January 11th 20, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 82
Posted By Scott Dorsey
converting WAV file to MP3

> wrote:
>Where can I find the authentic site for Razor LAME?
>
>A couple of sites which Google threw up...
Forum: Pro Audio January 11th 20, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 82
Posted By Scott Dorsey
converting WAV file to MP3

Jim Lesurf > wrote:
>In article >, Scott Dorsey
>> This is why we pay mastering engineers. It's just like cutting LPs, you
>> are trying to pack...
Forum: Pro Audio January 11th 20, 01:10 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 54
NY
Posted By Scott Dorsey
NY

John Williamson > wrote:
>On 10/01/2020 17:00, Don Pearce wrote:
>
>> I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
>> numbers, statistics and general...
Forum: Pro Audio January 8th 20, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Michael Beacom > wrote:

>When is the Manassas Hamfest?
>Havn't been to one in too long.

June 13.

The next regional one would be the Richmond Frostfest on Feb 1. I think...
Forum: Pro Audio January 7th 20, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 46
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Recording Bit and Sample Rates

Don Pearce > wrote:
> [...]
Forum: Pro Audio January 7th 20, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Here in Oregon > wrote:

>Hey guys, it has been 15 years since I took the last poll and I wanted to ask if you would chime in on what bit depth and sampling rate you are...
Forum: Pro Audio January 7th 20, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce > wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 13:54:02 +0000, John Williamson
> wrote:
>
>>On 07/01/2020 07:04, geoff wrote:
>>> On 7/01/2020 6:20 pm, Here in...
Forum: Pro Audio January 7th 20, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 82
Posted By Scott Dorsey
converting WAV file to MP3