Search: Posts made by: John Williamson
Forum: Pro Audio December 2nd 18, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By John Williamson
OT - video

On 02/12/2018 13:48, Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

> And I shudder at thinking of seeing some people at 4K, let alone at
> 8K :-)

If it's me, then VGA is quite sharp enough, thank you *very* much.

3D...
Forum: Pro Audio November 24th 18, 01:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By John Williamson
How many audio channels over 1 pin spdif ? (x-fi)

On 24/11/2018 12:43, Mike Rivers wrote:
> Before you waste too much time trying to make a breakout cable, do you
> have either an old enough operating system or a new enough driver so
> that your...
Forum: Pro Audio October 17th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By John Williamson
Do Dented Dust Caps affect a Woofer's Sound?

On 17/10/2018 20:00, None wrote:
> Thekma, the village idiot, puked in message
>
>>> Try duct tape or a wad of chewing gum!
>
> Dumb...
Forum: Pro Audio October 16th 18, 10:11 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By John Williamson
Mic recording app w/ full screen meters

On 14/10/2018 15:39, wrote:
> I have looked through several sound recording apps but can't find one w the feature I need: show a recording signal meter full-screen or darn close so...
Forum: Pro Audio October 14th 18, 07:12 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 37
Posted By John Williamson
Monitors - Is More Expensive Always More Neutral?

On 14/10/2018 00:16, wrote:
(Below my sig sep, so he also seems to have little or no understanding
of how usenet works.)

Both you and geoff are pretty presumptious to ASSume...
Forum: Pro Audio October 13th 18, 01:35 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/10/2018 12:00, wrote:
> geoff blurted out: "
> What - set them all to the preset "Vivid" ? ;- )
>
> geoff "
>
> Don't talk about **** you have no clue about...
Forum: Pro Audio October 13th 18, 07:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/10/2018 00:11, wrote:

> I want to hear the song itself Mike - not anything
> added to or subtracted from it - by the speakers
> or equipment themselves. I guess one...
Forum: Pro Audio October 2nd 18, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By John Williamson
"Value" Mic Transformers

On 02/10/2018 15:43, Ty Ford wrote:
> I was just talking to John Hardy about transformers. I have an old Revox C279 desk with six preamps. I always liked the sound of the preamps and the desk has...
Forum: Pro Audio September 14th 18, 10:45 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 24
Posted By John Williamson
Windows Media Player .mp2 files time readout

On 14/09/2018 10:11, Bill wrote:

> When I first evaluated audio editors, Cool Edit came out by far the
> best. The main rivals (can't remember the names -old age) were the one
> written in machine...
Forum: Pro Audio September 14th 18, 09:03 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/09/2018 23:49, Bill wrote:
> In message >, John Williamson
> > writes
>> The OP is asking on behalf of a client who has some .mp2...
Forum: Pro Audio September 13th 18, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/09/2018 15:59, wrote:
> mp2??
>
> Are you a radio station or something?

Do keep up. The OP is asking on behalf of a client who has some .mp2
files he would like to...
Forum: Pro Audio September 9th 18, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 274
Posted By John Williamson
Anybody having same problems with Behringer mixers?

On 09/09/2018 18:30, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 9/9/2018 11:57 AM, wrote:
>
>> XR18 Air - TWO dead channels!
>
> 3. Because of build, quality, and lack of real engineering...
Forum: Pro Audio September 7th 18, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By John Williamson
Dynamic Mic Noise - Update

On 06/09/2018 19:23, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 9/6/2018 1:02 PM, John Williamson wrote:
>> If the interference is from a cell tower a block away, then it is RF
>
> RFI is a special case of EMI....
Forum: Pro Audio September 6th 18, 06:02 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By John Williamson
Dynamic Mic Noise - Update

On 06/09/2018 17:36, mcp6453 wrote:
> Here's what I've found. The problem is definitely EMI. There's a cell
> phone tower less than a block away. Moving the mic in the room can
> exacerbate or...
Forum: Pro Audio August 30th 18, 11:57 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By John Williamson
Dynamic Mic Noise

On 30/08/2018 09:21, geoff wrote:

> I guess a condenser mic may be more sensitive and pick up more of the
> low-level rubbish from the room that a dynamic may miss ...

Not so much if it's hum...
Forum: Pro Audio August 10th 18, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 56
Posted By John Williamson
Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

On 10/08/2018 08:12, Trevor wrote:
> On 10/08/2018 2:39 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

>> If everyone wanted the highest quality record player, there would be
>> no cheap record players, and cheap people...
Forum: Pro Audio August 6th 18, 07:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By John Williamson
audio term that's parallel to "vivid" for video

On 06/08/2018 16:44, wrote:
> I'm working with clients who have no familiarity with our jargon. I said "dynamics" once and they asked me what I was talking about. So yeah, we're...
Forum: Pro Audio August 6th 18, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 47
Posted By John Williamson
Advice To Others Wanting to Build A Stereo System

On 06/08/2018 14:39, wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote: "He's got a right to be, because the impedance changes with frequency. It is
> not unusual to see an "8 ohm" speaker dip down...
Forum: Pro Audio August 5th 18, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/08/2018 17:44, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 17:04:09 +0100, John Williamson
> > wrote:
>
>> On 05/08/2018 16:40, Don Pearce wrote:
>>> On 5 Aug 2018...
Forum: Pro Audio August 5th 18, 05:04 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 56
Posted By John Williamson
Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

On 05/08/2018 16:40, Don Pearce wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2018 10:08:06 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>> Go to a high end show and listen to some of the systems there, they are often
>> all...
Forum: Pro Audio August 5th 18, 01:08 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/08/2018 12:10, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 8/5/2018 3:22 AM, John Williamson wrote:
>> I've always been one of those that plays the record once, while
>> recording it on to the best tape or...
Forum: Pro Audio August 5th 18, 08:22 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/08/2018 08:02, Trevor wrote:

> But back in the day the BEST reason for having a *good*
> turntable/tonearm/cartridge was you didn't destroy your records every
> time you played them! Better...
Forum: Pro Audio August 4th 18, 08:49 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 03/08/2018 23:06, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I have absolutely no idea what this means. It doesn't matter one bit what
> the impedance is, as long as the amplifier can drive it and the speaker...
Forum: Pro Audio July 22nd 18, 06:35 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 26
Posted By John Williamson
[OT] Odd speed fluctuation when streaming to car

On 22/07/2018 03:50, Jason wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>> If you ever find a CD drive raw output that feeds the electronics a
Forum: Pro Audio July 18th 18, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18/07/2018 14:11, wrote:
"
> Perhaps the machine playing discs with VBR mp3 is confusing which
> ahould be constant and which is variable.

if the machine playing...