Search: Posts made by: Phil Allison[_4_]
Forum: Pro Audio December 3rd 18, 07:40 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dead SM-48s

Ron C wrote:

> [...]
Forum: Pro Audio December 2nd 18, 12:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dead SM-48s

Ron C wrote:

> > Have you checked whether there's a break in the inteqrnal wiring?
> >
> > Peace,
> > Paul

Forum: Pro Audio November 3rd 18, 11:19 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 15
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Mackie did have a ribbon cable problem at one time and they were sending
> out replacement cables, but I don't believe the problem was with the
> smaller mixers, only on...
Forum: Pro Audio October 31st 18, 10:53 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Shure SM7b Question

Sean B wrote:

> I'm wondering if I'm reading this schematic correctly:
>
> https://pubs.shure.com/view/guide/SM7B/en-US.pdf
>
> (Wiring diagram is near the bottom of the document)

Forum: Pro Audio October 30th 18, 07:19 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 13
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Questions About the Event TR5 Schematic

Paul wrote:

>Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > ** Look at the TR8 schem carefully - the LM3886s have additional feedback paths around them aside from the usual gain setting networks.
> >
> > U1...
Forum: Pro Audio October 29th 18, 08:56 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > Similar S-K filter stages are connected around the two LM3886 power amps - after scaling each output (eg R7 & R8) to give unity gain. This doubles the...
Forum: Pro Audio October 21st 18, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> The subsonic filter looks to be a unity-gain, non-inverting
> topology. The series cap C6 is obviously a high-pass filter, but
> how are the values for R10 and R11 chosen? Where...
Forum: Pro Audio October 18th 18, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Do Dented Dust Caps affect a Woofer's Sound?

geoff wrote:

> Do we actually know if it is a paper, plastic, silk, aluminium , or
> beryllium(!) dome ?

** " Mineral filled polypropylene " cone

- according to the advertising.
Forum: Pro Audio October 17th 18, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> > ** Take a sewing needle and insert the point into the dented part of the dome, at as shallow an angle as possible. Try to pull the dent outward.
> >
> > Usually works after...
Forum: Pro Audio October 17th 18, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> One of my Event TR5s has a dented woofer dust cap.
>
> Consensus here is "no":
>

> https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/23196-dented-dust-cap-does-this-affect-sound/

Forum: Pro Audio October 15th 18, 07:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> >> So it's normal to NOT see any signal on the input differential pins 2
> >> and 3, right?
> >
> > ** Depending how the inputs are driven ( one, the other or both) you...
Forum: Pro Audio October 15th 18, 05:58 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/geekslutz-forum/509719d1446679350-event-tr8-upgrade-event_tr8_tr2432_040704_schematic.pdf
>
> Ok first off, the TR5 is similar to...
Forum: Pro Audio October 14th 18, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 26
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Bourns Pot Shafts Not Long Enough!

Paul wrote:

> I have ordered a few of the 2K Bourns pots, with the intention
> of taking apart one of them, and seeing if I can replace the too-short
> new shaft, with the older, but...
Forum: Pro Audio October 13th 18, 07:30 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/54/tv09-777818.pdf
>
> The length "L" is from where the pot sits on the
> PCB board, to the end of the shaft, but it looks
> like this L maxes...
Forum: Pro Audio October 2nd 18, 04:22 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Conductive PVC Shield

mcp6453 wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I just stripped the jacket off of a cheap microphone
> XLR cable that came with an Audio Technica ATR2100 microphone. There is
> a second jacket inside the...
Forum: Pro Audio September 27th 18, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 13
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Clipping and tweeter damage a new twist

wrote:

> > ** Bob's book is Copyright 2011
> >
> > In 2000, this article was published on the ESP site.
> >
> > http://sound.whsites.net/vi.htm

Forum: Pro Audio September 26th 18, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

> Here is a new twist in the debate about clipping damaging tweeters.

** It's not new and there is no such debate going on.
Forum: Pro Audio September 18th 18, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dynamic Mic Noise

PStamler wrote:

> The Beta58 is alive and well, now called the Beta 58A.

** Not true.

The Beta58 was Shure's first attempt to modernise & upgrade the venerable SM58.
Forum: Pro Audio September 18th 18, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dynamic Mic Noise

wrote:

> so I'm not clear if the OP determined,
> was his problem due to:
>
> 1) high frequency RFI from the cell tower

** Not likely at all.
Forum: Pro Audio September 17th 18, 04:29 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dynamic Mic Noise

Jason wrote:

> Phil Allison
>
> > Which models have bucking coils?
> >

> It looks like all of the camera-mounted mics have them. I
> didn't look at the others.

Forum: Pro Audio September 15th 18, 04:43 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dynamic Mic Noise

Jason wrote:

> > Few mics have hum bucking coils fitted, suggesting that most users
> > regard it as a non problem and simply move the mic away from the
> > hum source.
> >

> Some of the...
Forum: Pro Audio September 13th 18, 02:36 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Mic preamp output transformer question

wrote:

> the most important ground issues involve signals that enter and exit
>
> 1) the + and - leads from the wall wart should go directly to the
> 470 uf cap so that...
Forum: Pro Audio September 11th 18, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dynamic Mic Noise - Update

mcp6453 wrote:

> I'm still not clear on the source of the noise. However, it's safe to
> say that the noise is electromagnetic. I found a couple of like-new EV
> N/D 767a mics at my local...
Forum: Pro Audio September 10th 18, 02:01 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dynamic Mic Noise

mcp6453 wrote:

> I'm trying to think what I might have that's transformerless. My TLM67
> doesn't have a transformer, but I only have one. (We need two matching
> mics for video...
Forum: Pro Audio September 8th 18, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 52
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dynamic Mic Noise - Update

mcp6453 wrote:

> Here's what I've found. The problem is definitely EMI. There's a cell
> phone tower less than a block away.

** Well out of range then.