Search: Posts made by: Peter Wieck
Forum: High End Audio February 22nd 18, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck
Apple HomePod measurements

Electronics are seldom at issue when reproducing sound, much to the chagrin=
of their manufacturers who would love to convince one otherwise.=20

Transducers, however, are very nearly always at...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes January 24th 18, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck
Electrohome tube amp - what does it value?

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 7:32:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Hi,
> Saw your old posing on Google your Electrohome Model 700 amplifier. I, also have one of these. I haven't...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes January 8th 18, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck
AR3 Speakers - Lessons Learned!

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:51:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> > I just purchased some AR3 speakers and on the back of the speakers I see wires leading from numbers 1 and 2 to a...
Forum: High End Audio December 21st 17, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 6
Posted By Peter Wieck
It Does Not Have to be Expensive....

I was asked to bring a "system" into the office for seasonal music. Casting about the Radio Room, I came up with:

AR tuner
AR integrated amplifier
Dynaco A35 speakers
Sony 200-disc CD...
Forum: High End Audio December 8th 17, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 4
Posted By Peter Wieck
What is the coolest HiFi you ever actually listened to?

There is some fascination with the exotic. And a well-tuned system in a well designed listening are with signal that supports it will sound ethereal if nothing else.

Most of us, however, listen in...
Forum: High End Audio December 7th 17, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 4
Posted By Peter Wieck
What is the coolest HiFi you ever actually listened to?

Not bad for something posted 11 years ago.

I am highly prejudiced - I think the coolest systems are the ones that are most accessible to their users.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: Vacuum Tubes November 26th 17, 01:20 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 23
Posted By Peter Wieck
What type of capacitor should I use?

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 5:49:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> Why don't you use some Paper In Oil caps. You can find russion PIO's on ebay at a reaqsonable price AND they work...
Forum: High End Audio November 9th 17, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter Wieck
Ambisonics is back

It would seem to me that as soon as systems reach a certain level of comple=
xity, they also reach the point of diminishing returns - or wildly increasi=
ng cost.=20

It is my general contention that...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 24th 17, 01:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 15
Posted By Peter Wieck
Restoring a TV-7/U Tube Tester

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 1:29:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> The type 83 can operate horizontally just fine, but in one plane, which the TV7 socket position does for you. Think...
Forum: High End Audio October 5th 17, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck
Shameless Plug for Kutztown XXXVII

Second Picture - black Zenith T-shirt.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio October 2nd 17, 01:19 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 0

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 6:59:17 PM UTC-4, Harry Lavo wrote:

> Peter, my memory at age 78 is terrible .... I know you've told us in the past,
> but
> what is the main merchandise sold here...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes September 5th 17, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck
2E22 - "300B Pentode"

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 3:41:53 PM UTC-4, wrote: It is also 2017, some 19 years from the original post.
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 21st 17, 02:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck
Marantz 7--Why so expensive??

I think the proper term is Yichis. Why the same suit from Brooks Brothers is worth more than from Krass Brothers.

Marantz has the legend and the pedigree, largely derived from the 10B, that makes...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 16th 17, 01:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Wieck
Annual Spring Cautionary Post - 2017

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:36:42 PM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:
> On 03/02/17 07:32, Peter Wieck wrote:[i]
> > Asbestos: Dangerous only when friable - small particles able to become airborne...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 7th 17, 01:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 13
Posted By Peter Wieck
GZ34

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 12:18:50 AM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:

> I would expect hammond to be a bit better about things like this. It's
> also starting to make my idea of a solid state...
Forum: High End Audio July 28th 17, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 18
Posted By Peter Wieck
Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

That makes sense. I was about to quote Schiller - well, perhaps I will anyway.

Against stupidity the very gods Themselves contend in vain.

I am no god, so I will quit contending.

Peter...
Forum: High End Audio July 27th 17, 09:01 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 18
Posted By Peter Wieck
Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

NONONONONONONO

Did I mention NO?

You are making this WAYYYyyyy too complicated, and why I asked the question in the first place, and why I mentioned KISS earlier, AKA, K-eep I-t S-imple S-tupid....
Forum: High End Audio July 27th 17, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 9:18:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Maybe something like this might work:
>
> https://www.crutchfield.com/p_021AMP1200/AudioSource-AMP1200VS.html?tp=48757
Forum: High End Audio July 27th 17, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 18
Posted By Peter Wieck
Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

Are you sure you are not a troll?

A 3-way crossover divides the input into three separate output curves cover=
ing three different frequency ranges. These curves are not "square", but ty=
pical...
Forum: High End Audio July 27th 17, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 18
Posted By Peter Wieck
Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

The sub-woofer wants to capture bass signal from both stereo channels A and B - so at least two of the voice-coils will be powered. If the Denon has a center-channel-out, that would be the third....
Forum: High End Audio July 26th 17, 01:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 18
Posted By Peter Wieck
Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

You are entirely missing the point. There is no shame in this, perhaps I wa=
s not clear in the description, so I will try again.

a) Bass is omnidirectional below ~500 Hz. What this means is that...
Forum: High End Audio July 25th 17, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 18
Posted By Peter Wieck
Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

A couple of things: This is a 3-voice-coil woofer. The reason for it is quite simple:

a) Left Channel
b) Right Channel
c) Center Channel

Thereby allowing it to be used in a "modern" TV sound...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 25th 17, 01:27 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 13
Posted By Peter Wieck
GZ34

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 3:55:33 AM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:

> I expect a simple series resistor does the trick, but an actual tube's
> behavior might be nonlinear...

Yes. The 5AR4/GZ34 and...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 18th 17, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Wieck
Mouser Electronics

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 2:35:24 PM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:

> did they give you a subsitute part # ?

As it happened, three options. At/below the same price as well.

Peter Wieck
Melrose...
Forum: High End Audio June 30th 17, 08:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck
Ambisonics returns to usefulness in VR

Descriptions in the literature kinda-sorta remind me of the Hafler Circuit a bit. Sum-difference sound distribution, only with a lot more technology applied....