Search: Posts made by: Peter Wieck[_2_]
Forum: Vacuum Tubes May 27th 21, 02:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
AR3a vs. JBL-100

Maggies need a large room and a brute-force amp to have any hope at all. They are less critical of placement than one might expect, but room size is important. I keep MG-IIIas with a 200-wpc amp, in...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes May 26th 21, 07:57 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
AR3a vs. JBL-100

I have always had brute-force amplifiers such as the Citation 16, or 19, or back in the day (and still today) AR electronics. So efficiency has never really been an issue - the main speakers are...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes May 26th 21, 01:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
AR3a vs. JBL-100

> I love them both and use both ever day with McIntosh amp. The L100's with a MC2300, and the AR3's with a MC2105. The AR3's have been completely restored, the L100's are stock. Both sound...
Forum: High End Audio April 20th 21, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 0
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
OT - Kutztown XLIII

http://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html

https://john-h.smugmug.com/Kutztown-Antique-Audio-Meet-2020/

Never to early to shill for the Big Show.

Come one, come all!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio April 16th 21, 12:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Non-Polarized Panel-Mount Convenience Recptacles

Just struck me - be sure to do the TIP-Mod on that device before releasing it back into polite society. Most especially applicable to Jefferson Street models (19121 zip-code). And replace the 2N3055...
Forum: High End Audio April 9th 21, 11:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Non-Polarized Panel-Mount Convenience Recptacles

> **SNAP! I have an ancient SCA-80Q on the bench right now.

You may need to file them a bit in that case. My unit is a "Blackwood", you likely have a "Jefferson". It took me less than five (5)...
Forum: High End Audio April 1st 21, 12:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Non-Polarized Panel-Mount Convenience Recptacles

Update: These fit as-found in a latter day SCA-80Q. I had to file them down a little bit to fit into an SCA-35. Fastener spacing is dead-on, and there is plenty of clearance inside in both cases....
Forum: Vacuum Tubes April 1st 21, 12:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Panel-Mounted Non-Polarized Convenience Receptacles

Update: These fit as-found in a latter day SCA-80Q. I had to file them down a little bit to fit into an SCA-35. Fastener spacing is dead-on, and there is plenty of clearance inside in both cases....
Forum: High End Audio March 29th 21, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Non-Polarized Panel-Mount Convenience Recptacles

https://www.unicornelex.com/Non_Polarized_Chassis_Mount_AC_Power_Receptacle_p/36-3800.htm

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, and children of all ages:

For those of us with the awful habit of...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes March 28th 21, 12:19 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Panel-Mounted Non-Polarized Convenience Receptacles

https://www.unicornelex.com/Non_Polarized_Chassis_Mount_AC_Power_Receptacle_p/36-3800.htm

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, and children of all ages:

For those of us with the awful habit of...
Forum: High End Audio March 22nd 21, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
The Future of Music (Software synthesizer focused or extendedoperating system)

The future of music as you suggest would be applicable in the 9th Circle of Hell. But for those of us who actually enjoy music made by human beings using actual primary instruments (a synthesizer is...
Forum: High End Audio December 11th 20, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 21
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Audio Interconnect cable Performance - is Return Wire Diameter a Factor?

The Dynaco PAT-5 biFet makes 15V @ 50MA +/- 5%
There is an Aktika (sp?) pre-amp that makes 20V @ 50MA +/- 5%
And there is a mod for the PAT-5 to get it to 42V @ 20MA +/- 5%

The reasoning for those...
Forum: High End Audio December 7th 20, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 8:08:05 AM UTC-5, -dsr- wrote:
> On 2020-12-07, Peter Wieck > wrote:
> >> **Nothing (in this universe) can move faster than 'c'. Not light, not
Forum: High End Audio December 7th 20, 01:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 21
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Audio Interconnect cable Performance - is Return Wire Diameter a Factor?

> **Nothing (in this universe) can move faster than 'c'. Not light, not
> electrons, not gravity.

Never stated nor implied that. What I stated is that as with water in a pipe, when water goes in...
Forum: High End Audio December 7th 20, 01:34 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 21
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Audio Interconnect cable Performance - is Return Wire Diameter a Factor?

> If our Sun winked out of existence tomorrow, how long would it take for
> our planet to cease circling where our Sun once was?

That would be as soon as the gravity wave ceased - which would also...
Forum: High End Audio December 6th 20, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 21
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Audio Interconnect cable Performance - is Return Wire Diameter a Factor?

Electricity in a wire, AC or DC, moves much faster than the "speed of light" - which is defined by its speed in a vacuum. Pop an electron into the system at one end, and that instant, one pops out at...
Forum: High End Audio December 3rd 20, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 21
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Audio Interconnect cable Performance - is Return Wire Diameter a Factor?

First of all, let's make sure that we agree on terms:

With the mention of signal wires and RCA plugs, am I correct in assuming that you mean what are commonly known as "patch cords" - those...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 6th 20, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Lies, Damn Lies, and Global Warming

Western Electric is still making tubes, in the US.

https://www.westernelectric.com/

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 2nd 20, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Multi-Section Capacitors - "Empties"

The problem with cardboard in close quarters with vacuum tube equipment is the heat. The multi-section cap in my Dynaco ST35 is less than two inches from the output tubes, which run at 240F +/-. For...
Forum: High End Audio July 27th 20, 12:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
High End - Really?

https://trueaudiophile.com/hb-cable-design-powerslave-marble-statement-power-center/

I have been know to be a wee bit snarky when it comes to "high-end" peripheral devices. Lest anyone think I do...
Forum: High End Audio July 21st 20, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 7
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
High End Class D

It has been my experience - albeit limited - that a class D module included as part of a powered speaker system is not the same as a purpose-build amp built from separately chosen parts. The one is...
Forum: High End Audio July 20th 20, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Do RCA plugs/sockets have a galvanic corrosion problem?

Short answer:

Yes, they *can* have a galvanic corrosion problem.
However, it is a very easy problem to eliminate.

Getting down to specifics with some background first:

a) Gold is not a...
Forum: High End Audio July 20th 20, 11:59 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 7
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
High End Class D

John:

Serviceable - that is a heavily loaded question. Effectively, these modules are not serviceable in any conventional definition of the term. They are uncomplicated devices that if used within...
Forum: High End Audio July 16th 20, 02:56 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 7
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
High End Class D

John:

I see that, once again, you are nibbling around the edges of the "Brute Force Amp" concept. I kinda-sorta figured you would get there eventually. And, coincidentally, you missed out on a...
Forum: High End Audio July 9th 20, 06:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Skybuck's Top 35 Synthesizer/Retrowave/DarkSynth/Chip/GlitchMusic Recommendations

Not exactly my taste, but I am glad you are enjoying yourself.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA