Search: Posts made by: John Williamson
Forum: Pro Audio May 23rd 19, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By John Williamson
Conn tuner

On 20/05/2019 12:08, geoff wrote:
> Anybody know the power/current consumption of an ST-11. I have a USA
> version coming and will need to build or source a 110v 60Hz
> inverter/whatever supply to...
Forum: Pro Audio May 22nd 19, 09:03 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By John Williamson
Conn tuner

On 20/05/2019 13:23, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> geoff > wrote:
>> Anybody know the power/current consumption of an ST-11. I have a USA
>> version coming and will need to build...
Forum: Pro Audio May 18th 19, 08:19 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 37
Posted By John Williamson
Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

On 18/05/2019 01:55, geoff wrote:

>>> Hopefully, otherwise how would you represent the zeros in a binary
Forum: Pro Audio May 16th 19, 09:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 37
Posted By John Williamson
Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

On 16/05/2019 15:08, Ty Ford wrote:
> On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
>> Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
>> point on the...
Forum: Pro Audio May 16th 19, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 37
Posted By John Williamson
Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

On 16/05/2019 12:09, mcp6453 wrote:
> I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
> non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
> explain the...
Forum: Pro Audio May 12th 19, 11:55 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 394
Posted By John Williamson
Best digital music recording program

On 12/05/2019 11:09, Trevor wrote:

> Unlike the machines you will need to play them on. Good luck with that
> in a couple of decades if you haven't moved them on already.

Not DAT, but a lot of...
Forum: Pro Audio May 10th 19, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/05/2019 15:10, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 5/10/2019 7:34 AM, geoff wrote:
>> But it is little effort to have multiple backups on several different
>> types of media, all bit-perfect.
>
> That it's...
Forum: Pro Audio May 8th 19, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 45
Posted By John Williamson
free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

On 08/05/2019 11:11, Mike Rivers wrote:

> And maybe I could find a better sound than the reference.

Sometimes "good enough" is the enemy of excellence, though without your
ability, quick'n'dirty...
Forum: Pro Audio May 7th 19, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 16
Posted By John Williamson
Better FLAC player ? fast, good playlist, low cpu ?

On 07/05/2019 13:55, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 5/7/2019 3:52 AM, Trevor wrote:
>> I've been using Winamp for a couple of decades, and dragging files
>> into the play window is easy, then simply save as...
Forum: Pro Audio May 7th 19, 12:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/05/2019 09:17, geoff wrote:

> Just get it right in the first place. If the tracks are significantly
> disparate to the point of not sitting well in an album worth of
> material, that is where...
Forum: Pro Audio May 5th 19, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/05/2019 22:13, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >,
> James Price > wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 2:51:10 AM...
Forum: Pro Audio April 29th 19, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By John Williamson
Always wanted to try a Mac.

On 29/04/2019 17:20, Scott Dorsey wrote:
<Linux Workstations>
> Depends a lot on the linux distro. A lot of them are much worse than Windows
> or OSX in that regard. Even Red Hat has gone to...
Forum: Pro Audio April 29th 19, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By John Williamson
Always wanted to try a Mac.

On 29/04/2019 13:53, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> James Price > wrote:
>> I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve...
Forum: Pro Audio April 28th 19, 04:10 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 113
Posted By John Williamson
Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

On 28/04/2019 15:30, James Price wrote:
> On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 6:25:12 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
>> However those who consider themselves to be 'real' guitarists would >> not be seen dead using...
Forum: Pro Audio April 28th 19, 11:18 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 28/04/2019 05:38, Trevor wrote:
> On 24/04/2019 11:37 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> That's why you get separate head amp and cabinet, so you can swap
>> different
>> cabinets around with the same...
Forum: Pro Audio April 28th 19, 11:15 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 28/04/2019 06:12, wrote:

> Kill-filing the best informed poster on a NG is counter productive.

It would be, but almost by definition, every poster offering advice on...
Forum: Pro Audio April 26th 19, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By John Williamson
repair broadcast distortion?

On 26/04/2019 20:48, JBI wrote:
> On 4/26/19 3:28 PM, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 26/04/2019 20:19, JBI wrote:
>> I still have access to
>>> Adobe Audacity CC 2018, but hurrying fast as the trial...
Forum: Pro Audio April 26th 19, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By John Williamson
repair broadcast distortion?

On 26/04/2019 20:19, JBI wrote:
I still have access to
> Adobe Audacity CC 2018, but hurrying fast as the trial runs out tomorrow.

If the tool you are using is a VST plugin, the open source...
Forum: Pro Audio April 22nd 19, 11:31 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/04/2019 10:54, John Williamson wrote:
> That and a decent voltmeter along with a sweep tone generator can be
> used to draw a graph of impedance against frequency, though to be
> accurate,...
Forum: Pro Audio April 22nd 19, 10:54 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/04/2019 08:03, Don Pearce wrote:

> Particularly with pink noise, they have no choice but to apply a
> voltage - which is what amplifiers generate. The actual amount of
> power that results in...
Forum: Pro Audio April 8th 19, 07:07 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 15
Posted By John Williamson
Auditronics 310

On 08/04/2019 00:44, geoff wrote:

> For me with Thunderbird 'Reply' goes email to the other party. To reply
> to the newsgroup you need to select 'Followup'.

It is possible that a decade or so...
Forum: Pro Audio April 7th 19, 12:01 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 15
Posted By John Williamson
Auditronics 310

On 07/04/2019 11:46, John Williamson wrote:
> On 07/04/2019 01:12, ChrisG wrote:
> You might want to look at your settings. I just clicked on "reply" in
> Thuderbird and the message came to the...
Forum: Pro Audio April 7th 19, 11:46 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 15
Posted By John Williamson
Auditronics 310

On 07/04/2019 01:12, ChrisG wrote:

> hmmm… well that didn’t work… ok, let’s try this button…
> Jeez I’m such a putz. * Mike, thank you for the wonderful anecdote
> laden reply that...
Forum: Pro Audio March 21st 19, 12:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 79
Posted By John Williamson
Multiple spaces in recordings

On 21/03/2019 11:35, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 3/21/2019 5:45 AM, John Williamson wrote:
>> Many instrument players have their own reverb built into the amp or
>> their instrument, which they apply to...
Forum: Pro Audio March 21st 19, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro