Search: Posts made by: Phil Allison[_4_]
Forum: Pro Audio May 24th 19, 03:26 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Conn tuner

geoff wrote:

> > Nobody uses tuning fork anymore? The battery lasts forever.
> >

> I've got one. Somewhere. Changes pitch with temperature.

Forum: Vacuum Tubes April 3rd 19, 02:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Best new EL84 tubes?

LV wrote:

> Phil, your advice rocks !

** Does it?

> What about the JJs?
Forum: Vacuum Tubes April 2nd 19, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Best new EL84 tubes?

Don Pearce wrote:

> Brimar are producing valves again in the UK, using mostly the original
> machines. They make very high quality EL84s.
>
> https://brimaruk.com/valves/

Forum: Pro Audio March 19th 19, 08:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Measuring noise along a signal path

Tobiah wrote:

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> >> I ordered a Jethead
> >

> > ** Its called a " Fethead " - dickhead.

Forum: Pro Audio March 19th 19, 12:55 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

> I ordered a Jethead

** Its called a " Fethead " - dickhead.

> Phantom to see whether it would improve
> the S/N used with my NT1-A's, and an M-Audio Fast Track
> Ultra audio...
Forum: Pro Audio March 6th 19, 04:36 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Sturdy mic cable ?

wrote:

> A guess would be Belden 8402. One could tow a car with that.

** Hardly likely that ANY twisted pair mic cable would simply break apart because of a bit of...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 28th 19, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
FS: Audio Tubes

wrote:

> I am interested in you 6973 tube.

** These are readily available - EH sell new ones and NOS are also around.
Forum: Pro Audio February 21st 19, 06:41 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Asked and answered in the past....

Tobiah wrote:

> But I was never driven to buy. I have a pair of Rode NT1-A's,
> and I'd like to match them with a transparent, quiet, dual-channel
> preamp. I aim to record soft sounds at...
Forum: Pro Audio February 12th 19, 10:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 30
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Question about Digital vs. Analog

geoff wrote:

> So there is no truth in the old adage that distortion products of
> over-driven valves are of predominantly even order harmonics which are
> pleasing to the ear, as opposed...
Forum: Pro Audio February 12th 19, 10:06 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Notice how much softer the tube amp goes =
> into distortion than the solid state does.
>

> 90% of that has to do with the output transformer rather than any of
> the gain...
Forum: Pro Audio February 6th 19, 02:02 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 23
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
"Value" Mic Transformers

Don Pearce wrote:

> Transformers were an unfortunate necessity back in the days of valves,
> both for hum rejection and impedance matching. Now, though, when an
> op-amp and a couple of discrete...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes February 4th 19, 12:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 13
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
The most important tubes ever made.....

Big Bad Bob wrote:

> >> And of course a guitar amp is probably going to be designed to pass a
> >> more limited frequency range. You can see that when you look at
> >> replacement output...
Forum: Pro Audio December 3rd 18, 06:40 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dead SM-48s

Ron C wrote:

> [...]
Forum: Pro Audio December 2nd 18, 11:55 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dead SM-48s

Ron C wrote:

> > Have you checked whether there's a break in the inteqrnal wiring?
> >
> > Peace,
> > Paul

Forum: Pro Audio November 3rd 18, 10:19 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 15
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Mackie did have a ribbon cable problem at one time and they were sending
> out replacement cables, but I don't believe the problem was with the
> smaller mixers, only on...
Forum: Pro Audio October 31st 18, 09:53 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Shure SM7b Question

Sean B wrote:

> I'm wondering if I'm reading this schematic correctly:
>
> https://pubs.shure.com/view/guide/SM7B/en-US.pdf
>
> (Wiring diagram is near the bottom of the document)

Forum: Pro Audio October 30th 18, 06:19 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 13
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Questions About the Event TR5 Schematic

Paul wrote:

>Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > ** Look at the TR8 schem carefully - the LM3886s have additional feedback paths around them aside from the usual gain setting networks.
> >
> > U1...
Forum: Pro Audio October 29th 18, 07:56 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > Similar S-K filter stages are connected around the two LM3886 power amps - after scaling each output (eg R7 & R8) to give unity gain. This doubles the...
Forum: Pro Audio October 21st 18, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> The subsonic filter looks to be a unity-gain, non-inverting
> topology. The series cap C6 is obviously a high-pass filter, but
> how are the values for R10 and R11 chosen? Where...
Forum: Pro Audio October 18th 18, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Do Dented Dust Caps affect a Woofer's Sound?

geoff wrote:

> Do we actually know if it is a paper, plastic, silk, aluminium , or
> beryllium(!) dome ?

** " Mineral filled polypropylene " cone

- according to the advertising.
Forum: Pro Audio October 17th 18, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> > ** Take a sewing needle and insert the point into the dented part of the dome, at as shallow an angle as possible. Try to pull the dent outward.
> >
> > Usually works after...
Forum: Pro Audio October 17th 18, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> One of my Event TR5s has a dented woofer dust cap.
>
> Consensus here is "no":
>

> https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/23196-dented-dust-cap-does-this-affect-sound/

Forum: Pro Audio October 15th 18, 07:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> >> So it's normal to NOT see any signal on the input differential pins 2
> >> and 3, right?
> >
> > ** Depending how the inputs are driven ( one, the other or both) you...
Forum: Pro Audio October 15th 18, 05:58 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/geekslutz-forum/509719d1446679350-event-tr8-upgrade-event_tr8_tr2432_040704_schematic.pdf
>
> Ok first off, the TR5 is similar to...
Forum: Pro Audio October 14th 18, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 26
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Bourns Pot Shafts Not Long Enough!