Search: Posts made by: Scott Dorsey
Forum: Pro Audio May 23rd 19, 02:20 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Conn tuner

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>On 5/22/2019 1:17 AM, geoff wrote:
>> Looks like the unit natively runs on a RC-based local oscillator.
>>
>> The...
Forum: Pro Audio May 20th 19, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Conn tuner

geoff > wrote:
>Anybody know the power/current consumption of an ST-11. I have a USA
>version coming and will need to build or source a 110v 60Hz
>inverter/whatever...
Forum: Pro Audio May 18th 19, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 37
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

> wrote:
>
>WHY are terms that nearly everyone else in this industry uses
>considered "meaningless" among you guys?? And bit
>depth is not the only such word or phrase to be...
Forum: Pro Audio May 18th 19, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 37
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>"Bit depth" is a meaningless term that was invented because somebody
>didn't think that consumers could understand...
Forum: Pro Audio May 16th 19, 02:22 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 37
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

mcp6453 > wrote:
>I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
>non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
>explain the...
Forum: Pro Audio May 13th 19, 01:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 394
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Best digital music recording program

geoff > wrote:

>> I have boxes of CD-Rs that no longer play reliably.
>
>Azo ? Aluminium ? Or the better Cyanine or Phthalocyanine and gold
>metalisation ?

For a...
Forum: Pro Audio May 11th 19, 12:59 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:

>Funny, my digital files from 30 years ago are still playable, and far
>better quality than my tapes of that time. But...
Forum: Pro Audio May 11th 19, 12:56 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>Exactly, both have problems. One is fairly easily fixed with multiple
>identical backups on different media and cloud...
Forum: Pro Audio May 10th 19, 01:20 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 394
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Best digital music recording program

In article >,
nickbatz > wrote:
>The second law of thermodynamics dictates that we're not going back to using tape.

I never...
Forum: Pro Audio May 9th 19, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 394
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Best digital music recording program

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>On 5/8/2019 9:21 PM, geoff wrote:
>
>> I 'grew up' on Vegas, which to me was entirely intuitive.
>
>I grew up on tape....
Forum: Pro Audio May 8th 19, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 45
Posted By Scott Dorsey
free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

James Price > wrote:

>It's a matter of efficiency, not laziness. Assuming we were both given the
>same starting tone to work from, I have little doubt I could match a given...
Forum: Pro Audio May 7th 19, 12:58 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ralph Barone > wrote:
>James Price > wrote:
Forum: Pro Audio May 5th 19, 11:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson > wrote:
>On 05/05/2019 22:13, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> In article >,
>> James Price ...
Forum: Pro Audio May 5th 19, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.

Les Cargill > wrote:
>As much of a horror show as the API is, Windows has had multimedia API
>support forever. I recall notifications for a meeting where the Linux
>folk...
Forum: Pro Audio May 5th 19, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price > wrote:
>On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 2:51:10 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
>>
>> Match an overall EQ pf...
Forum: Pro Audio April 30th 19, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Studer A800 pre-stabilizer roller and pinch roller problem

Robert Stevens > wrote:
>I had a problem with my A800 pre-stablizer shifting down a couple mm causin=
>g tape to get dragged down on the head and making a crinkling...
Forum: Pro Audio April 30th 19, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.

Ty Ford > wrote:
>On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 8:53:49 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> James Price > wrote:
>> >I like the Mac, though I do wonder how...
Forum: Pro Audio April 29th 19, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.

John Williamson > wrote:
>The core operating system is stable, and updates to it don't affect
>programs, while you can opt to only take security updates or the whole...
Forum: Pro Audio April 29th 19, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.

John Williamson > wrote:
>On 29/04/2019 13:53, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> James Price > wrote:
>>> I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple...
Forum: Pro Audio April 29th 19, 01:53 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.

James Price > wrote:
>I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it...
Forum: Pro Audio April 28th 19, 01:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.

geoff > wrote:
>On 27/04/2019 1:04 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>.
>> The nice thing about the mac is that it has a decent command line and
>> you can do everything you need to...
Forum: Pro Audio April 28th 19, 12:10 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.

In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>On 26/04/2019 7:19 am, geoff wrote:
>>
>> You know where Microsoft got it's current touchy-feely dumb-user 'hold
>> your...
Forum: Pro Audio April 27th 19, 11:57 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 113
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

Wow. This is better than watching a hockey game!

Forum: Pro Audio April 26th 19, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Scott Dorsey
repair broadcast distortion?

In article >, JBI > wrote:

>Anyway, I am coming across at least one broadcast message that appears
>to be overmodulated, very similar to clipping in audio. ...
Forum: Pro Audio April 26th 19, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 40
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Always wanted to try a Mac.