Search: Posts made by: Bret L
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 2nd 10, 07:31 AM Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 2
Posted By Bret L
Disappointment with Audio by Van Alstine

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250&Itemid=235

Basically a Stereo 70 in a nicer case.

Why reproduce a not very good amplifier that is in any case still
very...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes December 2nd 10, 07:27 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 14
Posted By Bret L
HP333A examination and impressions

As a general rule, HP analog test equipment is the best designed of
its era, excepting only its oscilloscopes which are generally
considered not quite as good as Tektronix. I have not used the...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes November 22nd 10, 04:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 39
Posted By Bret L
Self Split Output Stage

Philco was fond of self phase splitting circuits in their outputs.
They didn't work very well and still don't.
Forum: Vacuum Tubes November 8th 10, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 12
Posted By Bret L
New audio transformer manufacturer

> However, In the US many would buy a Hammond to get 16W of SET power
> and the OPT might be only $100, and freight lower, so there is always
> going to be cheaper than Monolith.
>
> Price isn't...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 28th 10, 02:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Bret L
Kenyon transformer S-510426

Have you phased it out to find the windings and ratios? A little
common sense here can usually answer these question.

If it has a winding that when energized at 110-120 vac gives some
rational...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 3rd 10, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 4
Posted By Bret L
RDH4 Alternative

I became serious about tube amp design after 1993 I trawled
> around the second hand book stores to find **ANYTHING** on electronics
> written before 1965. What one book didn't explain well, another...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes September 12th 10, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Replies: 50
Posted By Bret L
Making a mono-from-stereo cable

On Sep 6, 9:26*am, "Arny Krueger" > wrote:

> For openers, the title "QUAD CD" *does not describe a single piece of
> equipment, or even a single family of related products. There...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 14th 10, 11:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

On Aug 13, 10:38*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 10:35*pm, Bret L > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 13, 3:52*pm, Clyde Slick >...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 14th 10, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

On Aug 13, 10:40*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 10:36*pm, Bret L > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 13, 3:12*pm, Clyde Slick >...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 14th 10, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

On Aug 13, 3:12*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 4:02*pm, MiNe 109 * > wrote:
>
> > In article
Forum: Audio Opinions August 14th 10, 03:35 AM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

On Aug 13, 3:52*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 4:02*pm, MiNe 109 * > wrote:
>
> > In article
Forum: Audio Opinions August 13th 10, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

On Aug 12, 6:57*pm, Clyde Slick <

> Ok, the Jeff Beck show aired at 11AM today.
> I saw aboput 30 minted of the recording so far.
> Very impressive, a lot of good characteristiscs in how she...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 12th 10, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

> PAstorius is much higher than Clarke because of his musicality and
> expression
> he had wonderful feel for the music

Yes, but he isn't playing BASS, even though he is playing A bass.
Forum: Audio Opinions August 12th 10, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

> AS far as Carol Kaye, she claimed that it is her bass playing you hear
> on almost all of the Motown stuff usually atrtributed to James
> JAmerson.
> Her claims are a crock of ****, according to...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 12th 10, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

On Aug 11, 10:48*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
<snip>

> Jamerson is the greatest electric bassist of all time, in my opinion.
> Kaye was exceptionally good.
>
> Here is my...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 11th 10, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 42
Posted By Bret L
New Spin Magazine

Two articles in this bird cage liner caught my attention. Bands are
asked about the Arizona lae-well, no they are asked whether they
should BOYCOTT Arizona. it's assumed that the law is wrong and...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 9th 10, 01:12 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 6
Posted By Bret L
PrimaLuna adaptive auto bias board

> Usually there is no room to put an incandescent light bulb in series
> with a cathode to ground, and then it needs to be a high voltage rated
> type; it is a primitive non-solution, and ppl cannot...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 9th 10, 01:09 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Aug 8, 3:31*am, Patrick Turner > wrote:
> On Aug 7, 11:57*pm, Bret L > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 7, 6:07*am, Patrick Turner >...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 7th 10, 02:57 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Aug 7, 6:07*am, Patrick Turner > wrote:
> On Aug 7, 1:21*am, Bret L > wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a schematic?
>
> I typed in the heading of your post to...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 6th 10, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 6
Posted By Bret L
PrimaLuna adaptive auto bias board

Anyone have a schematic?
Forum: Audio Opinions August 6th 10, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 26
Posted By Bret L
Audio Issues/Solutions

On Aug 2, 10:04*am, Boon > wrote:
> The only flaw I see in your plan is that malls are largely dying in
> the US, and they are no longer quite the hangout they were twenty
Forum: Audio Opinions August 5th 10, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 5
Posted By Bret L
I stopped into a Salvation Army store last night

On Aug 5, 12:40*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 5, 10:33*am, Bret L > wrote:
>

> > *I hate the smell of these places. They tend to smell like old...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 5th 10, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 2
Posted By Bret L
Panic of Girls

A friend sent me a bootleg of part of the new unreleased Blondie
album. I swore off this band after the Rock Hall of Fame debacle but
couldn't resist a listen. You know, I just don't know what to...
Forum: Audio Opinions August 5th 10, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Replies: 5
Posted By Bret L
I stopped into a Salvation Army store last night

I hate the smell of these places. They tend to smell like old lady
ass and musty wool and Play-Doh. Anyway, I found three albums new in
wrapper which seemed as though they may have value so I bought...