Search: Posts made by: Peter Wieck[_2_]
Forum: Vacuum Tubes Today, 01:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
171a

Robert, thank you for the offer!

I keep enough 71As for my needs into the foreseeable future, and I keep several in reserve for other collectors as may be needed. I straddle the fence between Audio...
Forum: High End Audio Yesterday, 07:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 0
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
OT - Radio Repair Clinic

http://www.dvhrc.com/pdfs/Oscillator%20Summer%202019.pdf

I am on Page 7. That is a vintage Kutztown Klinic picture, but I will be in Bethlehem for this event. I expect to be busy!

And, that is...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes Yesterday, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 0
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Radio Repair Clinic

http://www.dvhrc.com/pdfs/Oscillator%20Summer%202019.pdf

I am on Page 7. That is a vintage Kutztown Klinic picture, but I will be in Bethlehem for this event. I expect to be busy!

Come one, Come...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 9th 19, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 5
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
171a

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2:05:49 AM UTC-4, Paul James wrote:
> Does anyone here have any experience with using 171a in a linestage. Thinking of using constant current.

The 71A is a low-gain DHT...
Forum: High End Audio June 7th 19, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
JR 149s

I think you are crying out for a sub-sat system. Your SO will appreciate the (relatively) tiny satellites, you will appreciate the relative ease of placing those satellites, and the sub-woofer...
Forum: High End Audio June 7th 19, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:33:14 AM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Got it - and replied.

Nothing received, even in my spam-trap.

remove all spaces. Add appropriate symbols

pfjw at aol dot com
Forum: High End Audio June 6th 19, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

Look for a private message. Or, e-mail as above.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio June 6th 19, 01:34 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
JR 149s

Howard:

In the interest of full disclosure, I have NOT heard that speaker specifically. But, and commenting on the nature of small speakers:

a) Its rating is +/- 3 dB, 70hz - 20 Khz. While...

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 6:16:05 AM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 6/06/2019 5:11 AM, Howard Stone wrote:
> > On Monday, 3 June 2019 19:15:25 UTC+1, Peter Wieck wrote:
> >> Howard:
> >>
> >> I sent...
Forum: High End Audio June 3rd 19, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

Howard:

I sent you an e-mail via google groups earlier. Did you get it?

Please remove spaces and add the appropriate symbols:

p f j w at a o l dot c o m

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio May 28th 19, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 8
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 300

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 8:42:06 AM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **MF products are seriously dodgy. The Nuvistor valve used in all MF
> Nuvista products ceased production in the mid-1960s. Now,...
Forum: High End Audio May 17th 19, 06:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 10:49:44 AM UTC-4, =
wrote:

> > a) It relies on symmetry.=20
>=20
> So does stereo.

I think this is where we part ways. "Stereo" does not...
Forum: High End Audio May 17th 19, 01:38 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 1:40:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> Why not? The first article in particular is exactly to the point.

a) It relies on symmetry.
b) It is focused...
Forum: High End Audio May 16th 19, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 5:52:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> Are there any speakers that will work well without being placed well?
> There's a lot to be said for smaller (so...
Forum: High End Audio May 14th 19, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

I dunno - It was pretty clear to me:

Premise: Conventional speakers are awkward boxes that are hard to "disappear" as decorative items.

Request: Are there means-and-methods to reduce this...
Forum: High End Audio May 14th 19, 01:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 5:46:10 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> Thanks for all these interesting , stimulating.
>
> The «Â*really annoyingÂ*» thing is just that the speakers can’t be hidden...
Forum: High End Audio May 13th 19, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:37:58 PM UTC-4, Ed Presson wrote:

> Do you have any ideas about how these recommendations apply to dipole
> speakers?

As it happens, I keep Maggies (MGIIIa) on the...
Forum: High End Audio May 13th 19, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 6:21:40 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> The speakers I have are really annoying because, to get them sounding as =
good as they should, they need to be positioned in...
Forum: High End Audio May 8th 19, 01:13 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 39
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

RANT WARNING!

Guys and gals, there is common sense (which isn't), and then, there is received wisdom (AKA: Religion) when it comes to audio. Typically, but not always, they are mutually exclusive....
Forum: High End Audio May 8th 19, 12:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 5:44:53 PM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **Fuses are a really bad idea on speaker lines, as a fuse is, in
> reality, a non-linear resistor. Therefore, a fuse (any fuse)...
Forum: High End Audio May 6th 19, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
NVIDIA High Definition Audio needs Audio Channel Remapping Tool.

Please don't feed the troll.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio May 6th 19, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 39
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

50 hz current has that awful effect in some cases - and will (very slightly) de-rate the amp. Given that those appear to be toroidal transformers, there is no easy cure other than an isolation...
Forum: High End Audio April 22nd 19, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC

All good then!

I must state that I am not overly fond of Quad equipment - and I also think that the Krell will be a significant change (and improvement).

In any case, enjoy!

Peter Wieck
Melrose...
Forum: High End Audio April 16th 19, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC

On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> In fact twice now I've been bowled over by the difference that a DAC made, once with a DAC made by a little Canadian company called...
Forum: High End Audio April 9th 19, 02:59 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC

I would never!

"How It's Made" did a segment on Moon - I have maintained for years that there is but so much that can be put in a box, which could only be worth so much money. Moon proves "Less is...