Forum: Tech April 28th 15, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Microphones

Haha, not exactly!
Perhaps evolution will help out here, bands that are too loud will drive away all the women, and their members will not reproduce. So in the future, bands will be 20db softer and...
Forum: Tech April 27th 15, 11:41 AM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Microphones

The real reason I want I a solo switch ; I'm old. After 4 hours of rocking and rolling like a 20 year-old i can't push out a solo using lung power alone. I'll use whatever "crutch" is available.
Forum: Tech April 27th 15, 01:14 AM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Microphones

So why don't we completely abandon all electronic effects and processing gear and just insist that all music be performed live with only acoustic instruments? I'm sure some on this thread would be...
Forum: Tech April 25th 15, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Microphones

Geof
Thanks for the links, but all those devices have attenuations in the 20-40 db range, I'm looking for 3-6 db, and easily activated while standing in front of a mic.

Regarding your comments on...
Forum: Tech April 25th 15, 12:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Microphones

Putting aside all the expressions of puritanical musical moral outrage, what I am interested in is whether or not there is s market for such a device. Sometimes I play jazz jobs and have no mic at...
Forum: Tech April 20th 15, 10:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Microphones

Peter
Why so combative over a simple proposal? I've played Jazz for 40 years and know how to use dynamics. The PA will sound cleaner if my mic is turned down most of the time except when I need it....
Forum: Tech April 20th 15, 03:51 AM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Microphones

I play the sax and would love to have a mic with a boost switch that I can press when I take a solo. This could simply be a 10 db pad in the normal case which is removed when the switch is pressed....
Forum: Pro Audio June 10th 14, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 139
Posted By [email protected]
EQ disorientation

Here's a simple experiment that shows how the brain adapts to EQ. Prepare 2 pink noise tracks, one unprocessed and one with a 10 db boost at 2khz. Listen to the unprocessed version for 5 seconds,...
Forum: Pro Audio May 13th 14, 04:54 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 143
Posted By [email protected]
Freq Response Graph Paper

I'm an fan of equalizing the speaker only and letting the room do it's thing. A single reflection causes a comb effect and trying to cancel the ripples with an EQ just makes the impulse response into...
Forum: Tech October 16th 13, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Cheap subwoofers

I am using Polk Audio. I'm doing experiments in acoustics that would fail if the gain was modulated by a compressor. They must be doing something to prevent clipping.

Bob
Forum: Tech October 14th 13, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Cheap subwoofers

I have a quick question. Do cheap sub- woofers (less than 200 dollars) have built- in compressors that you can't turn off? If so, are they set as limiters to prevent speaker damage or are they active...
Forum: Pro Audio September 15th 13, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By [email protected]
Undoing AGC from a Canon DSLR

Best approach is to look for a tear-down, find the chip that does the agc, and then download the Datasheet.

Bob
Forum: Pro Audio July 27th 13, 04:52 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 1,061
Posted By [email protected]
When did you switch to CDs, and why?

That missing low bass can be re-synthesized using the famous dbx "sub-harmonic synthesizer". I'm ashamed to admit I designed this in the late 70's. I humbly apologize to the entire audio community....
Forum: Pro Audio February 16th 13, 04:43 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By [email protected]
Compressed State of Union - what's the hole?

It's known that notches in that range give the illusion of height, as it mimics the HRTF curves for elevation. Discuss ..... :)

Bob
Forum: Pro Audio February 14th 13, 11:39 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By [email protected]
Slew rate and slew rate limiting

Agreed that there are plenty of good choices out there with slew-rate to spare. It's a good idea to over-design the slew-rate, because the performance of most op-amps begins to degrade as you...
Forum: Pro Audio February 14th 13, 06:15 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By [email protected]
Slew rate and slew rate limiting

Worst case signal for slew rate tests is to jangle keys in front of a high-bandwidth microphone. Of course once it hits an a/d converter it gets band-limited to 20k so after that there is no...