Search: Posts made by: Scott Dorsey
Forum: Pro Audio November 29th 19, 04:46 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Input transformer for Spectra Sonics 101 preamp

Rick Ruskin > wrote:

>Are you saying that a step-up transformer on the input simply will not
>work or just that it will alter the performance of the card?

The step-up...
Forum: Pro Audio November 28th 19, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rick Ruskin > wrote:
>On 27 Nov 2019 09:28:21 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>Rick Ruskin > wrote:
>>>I have a trio of racked 101 preamps...
Forum: Pro Audio November 27th 19, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rick Ruskin > wrote:
>I have a trio of racked 101 preamps with 502 eq's. Can anyone
>recommend an input transformer with a reasonable step-up to increase
>the gain up from the...
Forum: Pro Audio November 26th 19, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Scott Dorsey
AES Show Report

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>Thanks for the report. I missed the memo about Alteros going bust. Too
>bad, but I guess the people who buy wireless...
Forum: Pro Audio November 21st 19, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Amp for Subwoofer

Bob Simon > wrote:

>I=E2=80=99ve read that some applications require high current. Due to its =
>light weight, I doubt this amp can source a lot of current. Does a...
Forum: Pro Audio November 20th 19, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Scott Dorsey
AES Show Report

As always....

https://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/aes-ny-2019/

And as a special bonus, the Capitol...
Forum: Pro Audio November 14th 19, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Hello and help

geoff > wrote:
>You are, of course, right regarding the current being 'primary. It would
>be reassuring to me to actually have a full output voltage/current spec,
>given...
Forum: Pro Audio November 9th 19, 11:17 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Adding Multiple Absorption Coefficients

Sean B > wrote:

>So let's say I have two different acoustic absorbers covering most of the a=
>rea of a room, say a bass absorber and a higher broadband absorber. They...
Forum: Pro Audio November 7th 19, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 42
Posted By Scott Dorsey
overvoltage on audio circuits - Noname.jpg (0/1)

Phil Allison > wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> 4. All the GkTB equations we were forced to memorize in school are useful at
>> RF but not useful in a mismatched low...
Forum: Pro Audio November 7th 19, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ralph Barone > wrote:

>I was under the impression that electromigration was only an issue in
>modern microprocessors and other ICs built using nanometer scale
>transistors. I...
Forum: Pro Audio November 7th 19, 07:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 42
Posted By Scott Dorsey
overvoltage on audio circuits - Noname.jpg (0/1)

Phil is known to have some odd notions about noise, but I am assuming that
we can all agree on the same basic statements:

1. For high impedance, current noise is dominant, whereas for low...
Forum: Pro Audio November 5th 19, 04:00 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 29
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

In article >,
Ty Ford > wrote:
> > Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?
>>

>I have a box of...
Forum: Pro Audio November 4th 19, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:
>On 4/11/2019 3:12 am, Brassplyer wrote:
>> Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation...
Forum: Pro Audio November 3rd 19, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 29
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>Who cares? And why? I understand the "what's that mic?" and ridiculing
>the boffo mic placement in a video, and where...
Forum: Pro Audio November 2nd 19, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 14
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Comparing two audio interace mice pre's for self noise.

In article >,
Phil Allison > wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> Record a distant piano in a quiet room and it will become...
Forum: Pro Audio November 2nd 19, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Good to see this is still here!

Tatonik > wrote:
>Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>
>> I'll point out that Kludge Audio has been a thing for decades but I just
>> figured it would be more...
Forum: Pro Audio November 2nd 19, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

knadles > wrote:
>I was a regular here many years ago. Rec.audio.pro (along with several year=
>s in the sound...
Forum: Pro Audio November 1st 19, 02:44 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 14
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Comparing two audio interace mice pre's for self noise.

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>But, as Scott said, noise isn't transparency. Listening is the best
>measure of that since you're looking for...
Forum: Pro Audio November 1st 19, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Tobiah > wrote:
>How would you do it? I have one of those 150 Ohm terminators
>that you guys told me how to make. Given two USB audio...
Forum: Pro Audio October 29th 19, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:
>On 29/10/2019 8:04 am, gareth magennis wrote:
>> Turns out that although the output buffer pcb (not SSL) has the 21v on its op-amps, all the SSL circuitry...
Forum: Pro Audio October 29th 19, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Mike and Scott

gray_wolf > wrote:
>If you were designing a solid state guitar preamp for guitar, pedal steel and
>fiddle for the cleanest possible sound what would be the maximum signal...
Forum: Pro Audio October 29th 19, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 7
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Good to see this is still here!

In article >,
> wrote:
>Seeing that Kludge Audio is a thing now, I've looked in "here", amused to see "here" still...
Forum: Pro Audio October 28th 19, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 8
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Better bandwidth than USB-2?

In article >, Tobiah > wrote:

>> What do you want increased throughput for? For disks, USB3 is a considerable
>> performance win.
>> --scott
>
>I use...
Forum: Pro Audio October 27th 19, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Ground Loop

Bob Simon > wrote:
>I had forgotten that there is a high-level connection from the amp's main (=
>speaker) outs to a powered subwoofer which was plugged into a different...
Forum: Pro Audio October 27th 19, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By Scott Dorsey
Ground Loop