Search: Posts made by: Peter Wieck[_2_]
Forum: High End Audio November 8th 19, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Motional feedback in speakers

Ummmmmm.....

A speaker is a linear motor with a magnet, and a commutator (voice coil). Just as in a PM Motor, when current is applied, the motor spins. DC motors spin according to the polarity of...
Forum: High End Audio November 7th 19, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Motional feedback in speakers

Take the (permanent magnet) speaker as a linear motor.

Now, for illustrative purposes, obtain a small DC brush-type motor. Spin it with your fingers. Now, short the leads to the motor. Now, try...
Forum: High End Audio November 5th 19, 01:16 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Motional feedback in speakers

No surprise at all, back in the day when tube-based amplifier damping factors were somewhere between 10 and 15 on a good day with a tailwind, and acoustic suspension was uncommon. The 'cure' for...
Forum: High End Audio October 28th 19, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC

On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 1:00:38 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:

> DACs matter it seems!

I will agree that DACs, as with any other component in the chain, do matter.

What does not matter in...
Forum: High End Audio October 21st 19, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

Mpffffff....

Now, we need to get into the difference between "accuracy" and "precision" - which for the record, are not even a little bit the same thing.

Accuracy: A digital thermometer...
Forum: High End Audio October 16th 19, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

a) Argument-by-exception is, generally, fallacious.
b) Anything including a coil that carries current will be inductive.
c) Most well-designed speakers using conventional drivers that include...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes October 16th 19, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Dynaco ST-35, A First

Phil:

I sat on my fingers on this one for a while, but you are such a sad waste of air, food and space, and cannot resist making an utter fool of yourself. I am glad to help the process.

I will...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes September 25th 19, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Dynaco ST-35, A First

I keep a Dynaco system in my office consisting of a PAS 3x, FM 3 and an ST 35, and includes a Sony 5-disk CD changer. As it happens the 35 is a first-issue device with the US-made output...
Forum: High End Audio September 18th 19, 01:04 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 5:53:07 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:

> I think the big thing I've learned, thanks to my adventures with the Krell and the Radford, is that the amp really does...
Forum: High End Audio September 16th 19, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

IF all you are doing is wanting to power speakers at a reasonable listening level in a reasonably sized room, and you do not want ear-bleed levels, your major task in this case is managing...
Forum: High End Audio September 12th 19, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

https://www.eeweb.com/tools/parallel-wire-inductance

This website will allow you to calculate inductance by giving it the gauge, type and nature of the wire you are using. You will find, pretty...
Forum: High End Audio September 11th 19, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

OK... getting down to basics:

Electrolytic capacitors are essentially chemical engines. The materials dev=
eloped over the last 20 years have greatly improved along with longevity an=
d reliability,...
Forum: High End Audio September 10th 19, 12:54 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

OK, OK, I will bite! Minor rant to follow:=20

Tube vs. Solid State on reliability:

There are not so very many 60-year old components in operation these days u=
nmodified since-new. My oldest tube...
Forum: High End Audio September 6th 19, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

Almost the entire reason for a hobby is to be able to indulge in pointless behavior without consequence.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Forum: High End Audio September 5th 19, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 11:11:30 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> Part of my problem is that my 6 hours with the amp made me fall in love w=
ith it, so I want one!
>=20

OK - and...
Forum: High End Audio September 4th 19, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 9:09:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> That it's made by Radford is at least as likely a factor.

Always a factor! However, in my experience, when...
Forum: High End Audio September 3rd 19, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

Howard Stone's experience with the Radford amp brought this on, so please f=
orgive the rant-like process here.=20

Guys and Gals:=20

When introducing a new piece of equipment to the system, please...
Forum: High End Audio September 3rd 19, 09:10 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

We have apples: "Good working order".

And we have Oranges: "Of course it's a very old amp...".

That it was only a capacitor is remarkable.
That the amp was modified is, likely, a contributing...
Forum: High End Audio August 26th 19, 08:53 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Three things:

a) I do not own, nor have I ever used any Radford Product.
b) This is a 6550 (KT-88) based amplifier, operating at the bleeding edge of what modern-production 6550 tubes can deliver....
Forum: Vacuum Tubes August 26th 19, 11:57 AM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Tip-Cutting Pliers

6" tip to end of handles.
Forum: High End Audio August 21st 19, 09:07 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Martin Logen's ESL Sequel II Laboratory and other tests

Three things:

a) ES Speakers, as a class, really do not like humidity.
b) ES Speakers, as a class, really do not like polluted air, especially particulate pollution.
c) AC, properly sized in...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 25th 19, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Radio Repair Clinic

http://nmih.org/

Scroll down into Events.

Peter Wieck

Melrose Park, PA
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 22nd 19, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
171a

For most "popular" vintage radio tubes (Valves), there are solid-state replacements. And a small amplifying triode such as the 71A is a trivial exercise along those lines.

Put in a glass device for...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 16th 19, 01:48 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
171a

Robert, thank you for the offer!

I keep enough 71As for my needs into the foreseeable future, and I keep several in reserve for other collectors as may be needed. I straddle the fence between Audio...
Forum: Vacuum Tubes July 15th 19, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Wieck[_2_]
Radio Repair Clinic

http://www.dvhrc.com/pdfs/Oscillator%20Summer%202019.pdf

I am on Page 7. That is a vintage Kutztown Klinic picture, but I will be in Bethlehem for this event. I expect to be busy!

Come one, Come...