A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » Search Forums
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Showing results 1 to 25 of 250
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: [email protected]
Forum: High End Audio November 11th 19, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Views: 624
Posted By [email protected]
Motional feedback in speakers

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 9:55:11 AM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 9/11/2019 6:50 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
> > Ummmmmm.....
> >
> > A speaker is a linear motor with a magnet, and a commutator...
Forum: High End Audio November 9th 19, 12:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Views: 624
Posted By [email protected]
Motional feedback in speakers

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 3:52:03 PM UTC-5, Peter Wieck wrote:
> Ummmmmm.....
>
> A speaker is a linear motor with a magnet, and a commutator
> (voice coil).

Sorry, no. The commutator in a...
Forum: High End Audio November 8th 19, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Views: 624
Posted By [email protected]
Motional feedback in speakers

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:32:20 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Regarding feedback, I remember there was an hobby project long ago to
> > have a very small R between speaker and GND...
Forum: High End Audio November 8th 19, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Views: 624
Posted By [email protected]
Motional feedback in speakers

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 3:51:05 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
> **No. It doesn't work like that. In a PROPERLY designed enclosure,
> so-called "damping" is not dependent on amplifier...
Forum: High End Audio November 8th 19, 01:12 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Views: 624
Posted By [email protected]
Motional feedback in speakers

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 2:41:04 PM UTC-5, Peter Wieck wrote:
> Take the (permanent magnet) speaker as a linear motor.
>
> Now, for illustrative purposes, obtain a small DC brush-type...
Forum: High End Audio November 7th 19, 02:56 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 15
Views: 624
Posted By [email protected]
Motional feedback in speakers

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 11:12:22 AM UTC-5, Peter Wieck wrote:
> No surprise at all, back in the day when tube-based amplifier
> damping factors were somewhere between 10 and 15 on a good...
Forum: High End Audio October 21st 19, 06:12 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 1,173
Posted By [email protected]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 12:43:04 PM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
> a) Argument-by-exception is, generally, fallacious.

Argument-by-exceptionally-rare-exception: more fallacious? :-)

> b)...
Forum: High End Audio October 21st 19, 06:02 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 1,173
Posted By [email protected]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 12:43:04 PM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
> a) Argument-by-exception is, generally, fallacious.

Argument-by-exceptionally-rare-exception: more fallacious? :-)

> b)...
Forum: High End Audio October 21st 19, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 1,173
Posted By [email protected]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 12:43:04 PM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
> a) Argument-by-exception is, generally, fallacious.

Argument-by-exceptionally-rare-exception: more fallacious? :-)

> b)...
Forum: High End Audio October 16th 19, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 1,173
Posted By [email protected]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 6:50:03 AM UTC-4, Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
> On 14 Oct 2019 18:58:55 GMT, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
> >On 14/10/2019 8:00 am, Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
> >
> >> Even a...
Forum: High End Audio September 19th 19, 11:00 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 1,173
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

While much of what you say below is, strictly speaking, technically
correct under some very specific cases, it's misleading and could well
not be applicable in reality.

I've not got a lot of time...
Forum: High End Audio September 15th 19, 10:49 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 1,173
Posted By [email protected]
Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 9:58:44 AM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> So, a little Ohm's Law should tell you if you are demanding more current
> than the output devices are capable of...
Forum: High End Audio September 4th 19, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 14
Views: 495
Posted By [email protected]
Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 4:10:54 PM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
> We have apples: "Good working order".
>
> And we have Oranges: "Of course it's a very old amp...".
>
> That it was only a...
Forum: High End Audio June 11th 19, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Views: 1,381
Posted By [email protected]
JR 149s

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 9:11:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> One of the other correspondent's suggestion of adding a subwoofer
> to the system could be beneficial, if and only if...
Forum: High End Audio June 11th 19, 02:11 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Views: 1,381
Posted By [email protected]
JR 149s

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:05:50 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
>
> I wonder if you know of any other speakers which are good to stack.
> Small ones, very small ones, preferably.

As a general...
Forum: High End Audio June 6th 19, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Views: 1,381
Posted By [email protected]
JR 149s

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:52:21 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> Do you think it would help to stack two pairs of them?
>=20
> They are cute, cheap, have a sweet midrange, easily sellable.
> So...
Forum: High End Audio June 6th 19, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 10
Views: 1,381
Posted By [email protected]
JR 149s

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 1:12:27 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> What are people's experiences with JR 149s?
>
> I have a pair being driven by a Quad 520 . The sound is not very
> satisfactory...
Forum: High End Audio May 22nd 19, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 8
Views: 635
Posted By [email protected]
Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 300

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 5:37:40 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> and now I have a sound which is more like live music than
> I’ve ever had at home before.

That's because everything is more...
Forum: High End Audio May 15th 19, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Views: 1,184
Posted By [email protected]
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 5:46:10 AM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> Thanks for all these interesting , stimulating.=20
>=20
> The =C2=AB=C2=A0really annoying=C2=A0=C2=BB thing is just that the...
Forum: High End Audio May 13th 19, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 26
Views: 1,184
Posted By [email protected]
Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 6:21:40 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
> The speakers I have are really annoying because, to get them
> sounding as good as they should, they need to be positioned in
>...
Forum: High End Audio March 5th 19, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 2,519
Posted By [email protected]
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 4:47:15 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 5/03/2019 7:11 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
>>
>> Um. Not so much. Back in the day, AR made a huge point on
>> the power-handling...
Forum: High End Audio March 4th 19, 07:11 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 2,519
Posted By [email protected]
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 11:32:18 AM UTC-5, Howard Stone wrote:
> On Monday, 4 March 2019 16:06:40 UTC, Peter Wieck wrote:
> > On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 9:59:57 AM UTC-5, Howard Stone wrote:
>...
Forum: High End Audio March 4th 19, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 41
Views: 2,519
Posted By [email protected]
More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 11:06:40 AM UTC-5, Peter Wieck wrote:
> On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 9:59:57 AM UTC-5, Howard Stone wrote:
>
> > Aha, this is an argument for active pre-amps. Passive...
Forum: High End Audio November 21st 18, 02:20 PM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 11
Views: 1,273
Posted By [email protected]
I just am not satisfied

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 9:54:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 6:01:26 AM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 5/09/2018 9:09 pm,...
Forum: High End Audio November 21st 18, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Replies: 11
Views: 1,273
Posted By [email protected]
I just am not satisfied

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 6:01:26 AM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 5/09/2018 9:09 pm, wrote:
>> I just am not satisfied with the sound from any solid state...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 250

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.