Search: Posts made by: Phil Allison[_4_]
Forum: Pro Audio July 10th 18, 01:36 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 3
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Schoeps Blue Dot Sensitivity CMC5

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 3:47:20 PM UTC+10, Sean B wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> The only other thing I don't get is the function of Zeners D3 and D4.
> Any ideas?

** PNP transistors T2 & T3 need...
Forum: Pro Audio July 6th 18, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 18
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Yamaha 01v Fader Repair?

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gesWW3E2Qr0

** "This video has been removed by the user.. "
Forum: Pro Audio July 5th 18, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sean B wrote:

> http://www.sdiy.org/oid/mics/Schoeps.gif
>
> So it's a cathodyne-style phase inverter realized with a jfet.

** Aka "concertina circuit" and other titles PLUS a pair of emitter...
Forum: Pro Audio July 4th 18, 12:03 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Sean B
> >
> >How is the +5dB gain increase produced inside the Schoeps CMC5 body?
>
> With transistors.
>
> Literally, there is a small amount of voltage gain and a...
Forum: Pro Audio June 19th 18, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 10
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Will I fry my amp if I use a 14.8V battery instead of a 12V ?

Tobiah wrote:

> wrote:
> > Hello again,
> > I busk with a Crate Limo TX 50D which runs of an integrated 12V, 7A lead acid battery, I want to use a lighter lithium-ion...
Forum: Pro Audio June 15th 18, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 84
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Crosstalk in snake cable that include speaker cables and mic cables

Trevor wrote:

> > Are we talking Doug Self's book here?
> > If so, you should buy the printed edition instead of bootlegging it, because
> > Self is a good fellow and deserves your...
Forum: Pro Audio June 15th 18, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

> Fair point, adjusting settings via menu's can be a pain. I was thinking
> of the fact you no longer have to adjust beam focus, vertical position
> etc.

** With most analogue...
Forum: Pro Audio June 13th 18, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

> there is some interesting info in this book

** You did a Google word search to find that - right ?
Forum: Pro Audio June 11th 18, 08:25 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

> > I hope I never, ever have to use a VTVM ever again. I spent more time
> > balancing and zeroing than taking measurements, it seemed. Modern
> > high-impedance DMMs...
Forum: Pro Audio June 11th 18, 07:31 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:

> Phil Allison
>

> >> I do keep a Simpson 260 on my bench and I use it often.
> >

> >** I have a similar Japanese made multimeter that I use occasionally.
Forum: Pro Audio June 11th 18, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> [...]
Forum: Pro Audio June 10th 18, 05:40 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Phil Allison wrote:
> > ** To me it seems strange that instruments intended for
> > engineers and service techs to use for all kinds of electronic
> > work have such poor AC...
Forum: Pro Audio June 10th 18, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

> geoff wrote:
> > My multimeter collection, HF responses starting to drop at:
> > Fluke 114*** 4.5kHz
> > Fluke 17B+*** 2.5kHz
> > Dick Smith (OEM ?)*** 10kHz

Forum: Pro Audio June 8th 18, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > ** Strangely, an analog multimeter does the job quite well.
> >
> > My own 20kohms/V one is only -3dB at 150kHz on the 50V AC range,

Forum: Pro Audio June 8th 18, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

david gourley wrote:

> Still have mine, a Heathkit 10-12 (500kc) scope I bought at a Ham Fest 40
> years ago. It needs a little TLC, but still very functional.

** That Heathkit model...
Forum: Pro Audio June 7th 18, 02:06 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Sprout wrote:

> How does one detect ultrasonic oscillations?

** Strangely, an analog multimeter does the job quite well.

My own 20kohms/V one is only -3dB at 150kHz on the 50V AC...
Forum: Pro Audio June 6th 18, 07:34 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 31
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Why No Gain Control on Adcom Amp?

geoff wrote:

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> >> Quad 405, home-built mega-Quad 405,

Forum: Pro Audio June 6th 18, 06:11 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Sprout wrote:

> How does one detect ultrasonic oscillations?

** The first sign will usually be that VU meters on the amplifier or desk become hard pegged when there is no loud...
Forum: Pro Audio June 6th 18, 06:04 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

> I can confirm that this type snake CAN create an ultrasonic
> oscillation that can quickly damage a power amp.
>
> Fortunately this happened during my testing and not...
Forum: Pro Audio June 6th 18, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

> Quad 405, home-built mega-Quad 405,

** A Kiwi service tech working in Sydney ( Brain someone ) told me how popular it was to build your own Quad 405 if you lived in NZ....
Forum: Pro Audio June 6th 18, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

> Scott Dorsey wrote: "And the level control on the amplifier,
> if it did have one, would be on the _input_ side before the power amp stage."
>

> Just a basic tech...
Forum: Pro Audio June 5th 18, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 16
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Best XLRs ?

geoff wrote:

> OK, just ordered 20 each M and F Switchcraft 'A' series. I assume nobody
> was talking about the 'quick' series ones ! Less than US$3 each at B&H.
>
> Yes, the odd...
Forum: Pro Audio June 4th 18, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 16
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Best XLRs ?

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Phil Allison
>
> >You could drive a vehicle one without damage, the ones made by
> > Switchcraft are similar.
>

> I actually saw a remote truck towed several feet by a...
Forum: Pro Audio June 3rd 18, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 16
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Best XLRs ?

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Phil Allison
>

> >** None are a strong as the old style, full metal ones with the saddle clamp.

Forum: Pro Audio June 3rd 18, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 16
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Best XLRs ?