Search: Posts made by: Mike Rivers[_2_]
Forum: Pro Audio December 3rd 17, 07:41 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
MXL R144 ribbon microphone premature review

On 12/3/2017 12:43 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
> I was... about a foot away from them, with an acoustic guitar.

If you're only about a foot away from the front of the mic, unless
you're in a really...
Forum: Pro Audio November 9th 17, 01:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Schoeps fig 8?

On 11/8/2017 5:34 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
> I'd use the mk2 or mk22 most likely and then the fig 8 for the S component. The reason I'm asking is that I don't think I've ever come across someone who...
Forum: Pro Audio November 8th 17, 02:25 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 69
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Tracking at 24/96 vs 24/48

On 11/7/2017 8:15 PM, wrote:
> To be fair, a 3k boost or cut with EQ will be far more
> audible than the differences between 24/96 or
> 24/48.

To be accurate, such a boost or...
Forum: Pro Audio November 1st 17, 01:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
2017 AES Show Report

My show report is now on line. Visit the Trade Show Reports section of
my web site (in the signature below) or download the PDF directly from...
Forum: Pro Audio October 23rd 17, 12:37 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 12
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Review of new Aston Origin LD condenser mic

On 10/23/2017 12:45 AM, Trevor wrote:
> I'm with you on that, I always use a headphone amp and headphones when I
> can't use good speakers for ANY listening. Anything else is just not
> worth the...
Forum: Pro Audio October 14th 17, 11:51 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 55
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

On 10/14/2017 1:18 AM, Trevor wrote:
> I'll just give up now.

Thank you.

Forum: Pro Audio October 13th 17, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/12/2017 10:32 PM, Trevor wrote:
>> I never denied the existence of the concept of "virtual multitrack."
>
> Good, so what exactly were you complaining about in my original comment?
> (that...
Forum: Pro Audio October 12th 17, 03:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/12/2017 12:57 AM, Trevor wrote:
> Well established definition here. But as with everything else in life,
> people often prefer their own definitions. Still you are the first I've
> heard deny...
Forum: Pro Audio October 12th 17, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/9/2017 8:56 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
> What's ACID?

What's a DAW? Acid is a pretty decent DAW as we use the term today.
Because it's 8 or 10 years old and hasn't been updated much, it doesn't...
Forum: Pro Audio October 11th 17, 11:20 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 10:42 PM, Tom Evans wrote:

> My question has been answered because I bought and tried Logic.* That's
> the program I'll use for the forseeable future.

OK, now get out of here and...
Forum: Pro Audio October 11th 17, 11:17 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 10:33 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
> I'm here to follow-up -- to check if anyone answered my question about
> what DAW they might recommend.* To not check if anyone answered my
> question...
Forum: Pro Audio October 11th 17, 11:13 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 10:29 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
> You implied the falsehood that MIDI is the master and controller of the
> musician.

Plunk!

Forum: Pro Audio October 11th 17, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2017 5:38 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
> It's not the program that says what note, when, for how long, and how
> loud, and what instruaments are played.* It's the composer who
> determines those...
Forum: Pro Audio October 10th 17, 09:49 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 55
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

On 10/10/2017 1:00 AM, Trevor wrote: (in e-mail, but gave a bogus reply
address so I couldn't reply directly, but it pertains to this thread

> You are on the wrong track here when talking about...
Forum: Pro Audio October 10th 17, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/9/2017 9:11 PM, Tom Evans wrote:

> What's the difference between 'true' and 'virtual' multi-track recording?

"True ... recording" must be a term that was invented because someone
coined the...
Forum: Pro Audio October 1st 17, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
hd24

On 10/1/2017 4:41 PM, Geoff wrote:
> Yes. No REC and PLAY keys either? Oh, they are called 'buttons'.

I call them buttons, and it's unlikely that one would be held down
inadvertently when powered...
Forum: Pro Audio October 1st 17, 09:28 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
hd24

On 10/1/2017 4:24 PM, Geoff wrote:

> Need to check your aren't inadvertently holding down some key while
> turning on. CAPSLOCK maybe ...

Do you even know what an HD24 is? No CAPSLOCK key, no keys...
Forum: Pro Audio October 1st 17, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
hd24

On 10/1/2017 3:52 PM, wrote:
> i LOST MY DISPLAY SCREEN. iT WILL POWER UP AND THE STOP BUTTON GREEN LED LIGHTS UP AND THE DRIVE SELECT LED LIGHTS UP, BUT NO SCREEN. tHE MACHINE...
Forum: Pro Audio September 25th 17, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
S/PDIF Splitting

Sean B > wrote:
> So if I want to fan-out a s/pdif signal, how do the boxes that do this accomplish it? Is is just > a wide-band analog amplifier, or do they use...
Forum: Pro Audio September 7th 17, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 58
Posted By Mike Rivers[_2_]
Compensating for phase shift when bussing things out in digital?

On 9/6/2017 10:23 PM, None wrote:
> your claim: "Overtones, by definition, are harmonically related." That's
> an unnecessarily narrow definition.

It's good enough for me. I'm done arguing with you...
Forum: Pro Audio September 5th 17, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/5/2017 2:32 PM, James Price wrote:
> I know in theory it should behave the same way in analog but
> it simply doesn't, though I'd love to know why.

"In theory, theory and practice are...
Forum: Pro Audio September 4th 17, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/3/2017 9:55 PM, James Price wrote:
> As soon as you sum two signals where one was processed with EQ, the
> phase relationship changes, doesn't it? I'm not talking about a pure sine
> wave but...
Forum: Pro Audio September 3rd 17, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/3/2017 11:50 AM, James Price wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't phase frequency dependent and not necessarily a one dimensional constant that can be fixed by delaying a signal?

You're...
Forum: Pro Audio September 2nd 17, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/2/2017 1:56 PM, James Price wrote:
> I'm specifically referring to sending / returning from outboard gear. Do most DAW's handle latency, when sending to and returning from external hardware,...
Forum: Pro Audio September 2nd 17, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/2/2017 12:32 PM, James Price wrote:
> What's the best way to compensate for phase shift (due to latency) when bussing things out in digital?

What program (or programs) are you using?

Nearly...