Search: Posts made by: Phil Allison[_4_]
Forum: Pro Audio December 16th 17, 05:54 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 4
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Shure parts

Scott Dorsey wrote:

----------------------

> I have never used them, but I will say:
>
> 1. For the good: the dealer markup on Shure parts is very high, so just
> because they are severely...
Forum: Pro Audio December 7th 17, 07:37 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 260
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Anybody having same problems with Behringer mixers?

Peter Larsen wrote:

-------------------------

> > Peter Larsen Man from Mars wrote:

--------------------------------

Forum: Pro Audio December 7th 17, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

-----------------------------------

> > Fine for d j or live mixes where the crowd volume is high.
>
> No no no no no and utter NO, in that very context...
Forum: Pro Audio December 4th 17, 02:07 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
MXL R144 ribbon microphone premature review

Les Cargill wrote:

------------------------

> >> The pattern is nice and tight and it picks up
> >> very little room .

Forum: Pro Audio December 3rd 17, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

--------------------------
> I have no other ribbons to compare it to. Street
> price is < $90 these days. So why not?
>
> The pattern is nice and tight and it picks up
> very...
Forum: Pro Audio October 15th 17, 11:42 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Sound Of Bipolar Junction Transistors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
--------------------

> >I met Bob Pease years ago. A bottomless well of knowledge about
> >op-amps and all the gotchas you have to be aware of. Shame he's gone.
>

> He's...
Forum: Pro Audio October 15th 17, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sean B wrote:

---------------
> One other thing I wonder about: a lot of components made today have
> iron in their lead wires, can this cause noticeable distortion compared
> to all copper?
Forum: Pro Audio October 15th 17, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sean B wrote:

----------------

> I recently built a BJT emitter follower with a another BJT as a current source feeding it, and even though it measures very well (junk down about 105 dB from...
Forum: Pro Audio August 27th 17, 12:06 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Question About Balanced Line Level Impedance.

Randy Berry wrote:

> I'm building a balun for my 600 ohm unbalanced line level input
> equipment to match with my balanced line level output equipment.
>
> I can't find any actual numbers for...
Forum: Pro Audio August 16th 17, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Compression question

Mike Rivers wrote:

---------------------------

> > ** You have completely misread my words.
> > ** That is the direct OPPOSITE of what happens !!!!
>
> > The peaks go unaltered because of the...
Forum: Pro Audio August 15th 17, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Compression question

Mike Rivers wrote:

---------------------

> > dbx " actually stands for "decibel expansion" as the companies first products were compressor /expanders ( aka companders) for noise reduction when...
Forum: Pro Audio August 15th 17, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 17
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Compression question

Scott Dorsey wrote:

-------------------------

> What you are describing is called an expander.
>
> Many dbx compressors have expander functions,

Forum: Pro Audio August 13th 17, 10:22 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
(Shielded) Mic/Line Cable With Lowest Shunt Capacitance?

John Williamson wrote:

---------------------------

> >> How low does it go?

Forum: Pro Audio August 13th 17, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sean B wrote:

-----------------

> How low does it go?

** You can eliminate its effect entirely by loading the far end with the characteristic impedance of the cable.
Forum: Pro Audio August 9th 17, 09:07 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 5
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Trident Series 65 upgrades

geoff wrote:

---------------------------

> > Anyone has done this mod????

Forum: Pro Audio August 5th 17, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 15
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Dual Cardioid Condenser Question

Les Cargill wrote:

-----------------------

> There's a formula for the polar plot of each so it's not difficult to
> sort them :)

Forum: Pro Audio August 2nd 17, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sean B wrote:

-----------------

> I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the voltage ratio that the two
> signals from a typical back-to-back cardioid large-diaphragm
> condenser capsule, in...
Forum: Pro Audio July 14th 17, 10:03 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Comparing mic noise

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

---------------------

> > That isn't what you want either. The 5dBA figure is much more valuable
> > than a simple level with no sensitivity reference to compare it...
Forum: Pro Audio July 14th 17, 05:37 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 22
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Comparing mic noise

Tobiah wrote:

> Still, couldn't an experienced individual give me some idea, given these
> incompatible statistics, what level of noise I might notice from one to
> the other.
>
> The one pair...
Forum: Pro Audio July 12th 17, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
ADAT head cleaning

wrote:

-------------------------------
> On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:42:29 PM UTC-4, darrelld wrote:
> > Phil, when I get to my studio PC, I will post the link to the...
Forum: Pro Audio July 12th 17, 01:01 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Fake D224Es ?

Geoff wrote:

> Anybody heard of AKG D224E fakes ?

** Would be exceptionally hard to fake the D224E plus demand is not sufficient to justify the effort.

> There is a dude in Bulgaria selling...
Forum: Pro Audio July 12th 17, 12:57 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
ADAT head cleaning

Scott Dorsey wrote:

------------------------

> He should replace all belts and the pinch roller. In the US, a kit is
> available from PRB/Russell Industries. Then he should clean the heads...
Forum: Pro Audio July 11th 17, 07:52 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
ADAT head cleaning

** Hi,

a regular customer with a PA hire business owns an ADAT machine ( black face) and some VHS cassettes of live performances he made in the 1990s.

The dragged out the tapes recently and they...
Forum: Pro Audio July 4th 17, 02:34 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 24
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Interesting turntable

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> >** Many things about it scream scam - but ....

Forum: Pro Audio July 3rd 17, 05:50 AM Posted to rec.audio.pro
Replies: 24
Posted By Phil Allison[_4_]
Interesting turntable