AudioBanter

AudioBanter (http://www.audiobanter.com/index.php)
-   Tech (http://www.audiobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "convert" antenna for clock radio? (http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=21959)

user March 9th 04 11:59 PM

"convert" antenna for clock radio?

Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
of any sort?

Barry Mann March 10th 04 02:36 AM

"convert" antenna for clock radio?

In >, on 03/09/04
at 10:59 PM, user > said:

>Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
>"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
>of any sort?

Does the original antenna attach to a connector of some sort? If so, is
there any mention of "75" or "300"? If there are two screws and a
mention of "300", then you could connect a pair of rabbit ears to those
terminals.

You will achieve best antenna performance if you pick an antenna that
matches your radio's "75" or "300" (the most common choices), However
.... One point to consider is that the clock radio performance is
marginal at best. If you succeded at properly connecting a good
antenna, the radio may be overloaded and misbehave. (there won't be any
physical damage, but, overall, you could be worse off than you are now)

spam:
13> (Barry Mann)

Barry Mann March 10th 04 02:36 AM

Barry Mann March 10th 04 02:36 AM

Barry Mann March 10th 04 02:36 AM

Gary A. Edelstein March 10th 04 07:29 PM

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:59:31 GMT, user > wrote:

>Possible to convert/translate/connect the single wire
>"antenna" of my clock radio to a "regular" antenna
>of any sort?

If it's a single wire coming out of the radio and no screw connectors,
then it's 75 ohm and you could look at adding a longer wire, hooking
up a single rod antenna to it or hooking it to the center of a 75 to
300 ohm transformer (probably a few dollars at Radio Shack) and
hooking up rabbit ears to the 300 ohm end of the transformer.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Gary A. Edelstein March 10th 04 07:29 PM

Gary A. Edelstein March 10th 04 07:29 PM

Gary A. Edelstein March 10th 04 07:29 PM

Gary A. Edelstein March 10th 04 07:29 PM