AudioBanter

AudioBanter (http://www.audiobanter.com/index.php)
-   Pro Audio (http://www.audiobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Replacement grille for Shure SM-58? (http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=41422)

Nil August 23rd 04 12:14 AM

Replacement grille for Shure SM-58?

On 18 Aug 2004, Greg Taylor > wrote in
:

> Obviously if the foam is deteriorated, and I agree that is often
> the case, it should be replaced.

Can one buy replacement foam inserts for an SM58 windscreen?

I have a 58 that was sounding worse and worse over the years. Finally I
took the screen off and found that the foam inside had disintegrated
into a gummy, putty-like mass and wasn't letting sound pass through. I
scraped it out and the mic sounded like new. Since then I've just
popped a cheap foam windscreen over the metal ball.

Scott Dorsey August 23rd 04 03:49 AM

Nil > wrote:
>On 18 Aug 2004, Greg Taylor > wrote in
:

>> Obviously if the foam is deteriorated, and I agree that is often
>> the case, it should be replaced.

>Can one buy replacement foam inserts for an SM58 windscreen?

Sometimes. Shure will often just send them to you for free if you ask
nicely, though. Sometimes they'll charge you for them.

>I have a 58 that was sounding worse and worse over the years. Finally I
>took the screen off and found that the foam inside had disintegrated
>into a gummy, putty-like mass and wasn't letting sound pass through. I
>scraped it out and the mic sounded like new. Since then I've just
>popped a cheap foam windscreen over the metal ball.

If you use a 58 without any foam in it at all, the top end sounds a lot
better than a straight 58, but it pops much more easily. It does, in fact,
pretty much make it like an SM-57.

Nil August 25th 04 04:13 PM

On 22 Aug 2004, (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

>>Can one buy replacement foam inserts for an SM58 windscreen?

> Sometimes. Shure will often just send them to you for free if you
> ask nicely, though. Sometimes they'll charge you for them.

That's good to know. I'll send them a note and see what they say.
Thanks for the tip.