AudioBanter

AudioBanter (http://www.audiobanter.com/index.php)
-   Car Audio (http://www.audiobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RDS displaying (http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=1404)

Alex July 2nd 03 12:15 AM

RDS displaying

Do you know if RDS system is able to display non-latin characters ? For
example greek or russian ?

The Lizard July 2nd 03 01:06 AM

RDS displaying

Alex wrote:
> Do you know if RDS system is able to display non-latin characters ? For
> example greek or russian ?

Short answer: yes.

RDS sends data only. It is up to the RDS receiver to interpret that data
and display the appropriate character. So, whether or not you'll see non
latin characters is up to your receiver. Very few aftermarket radios
will display non-latin character sets. The only ones I've seen are
Cyrillic and Japanese.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

Alex July 2nd 03 04:32 PM

RDS displaying

"The Lizard" > a écrit dans le message de news:
>> Short answer: yes.

> RDS sends data only. It is up to the RDS receiver to interpret that data
> and display the appropriate character. So, whether or not you'll see non
> latin characters is up to your receiver. Very few aftermarket radios
> will display non-latin character sets. The only ones I've seen are
> Cyrillic and Japanese.

What was this model of radio ?

The Lizard July 2nd 03 10:03 PM

RDS displaying

Alex wrote:

> What was this model of radio ?

The guy didn't say. He just asked a general question about RDS
transmitters. Otherwise I would have researched the capability of his
headunit.