AudioBanter.com

AudioBanter.com (http://www.audiobanter.com/index.php)
-   Pro Audio (http://www.audiobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Loudness wars revisited (http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=141872)

geoff February 11th 20 03:32 AM

Loudness wars revisited

Sorry in advance for this can of worms.

Just played a CD 'Crème Anglaise', with Supertramp saxophonist John
Helliwell. A lovely recording.

Then I put on Anastacia's 'Not That Kind', which I picked up 'used', on
a whim for $1 at a fund-raising store. Put it on and just about knocked
the house down.

Thundering deep synth bass - quite spectacular as a gimmick, but a bit
tedious to actually listen to. And the overall level I had to turn down
to about 1½ whereas the previous CD was comfortable at 5 !

My question is was that OTT bass intended to be heard as such, or
mastered that way in an effort to get 'good' bass on lesser replay
systems ? And the overall loudness thing, well I guess that's another
story...

geoff

hinz[_2_] February 13th 20 12:47 PM

Loudness wars revisited

geoff wrote:
> Sorry in advance for this can of worms.
>
> Just played a CD 'Crème Anglaise', with Supertramp saxophonist John
> Helliwell. A lovely recording.
>
> Then I put on Anastacia's 'Not That Kind', which I picked up 'used', on
> a whim for $1 at a fund-raising store. Put it on and just about knocked
> the house down.
>
> Thundering deep synth bass -

Listening to this Anastacia album, lots of synth bass but I find it not
very deep at all. Bass guitars are usually mixed with more bottom end
than that... the music is quite nice!

Anyone know some good music with low synth bass pls let me know, I am
into that sort of thing.

geoff February 13th 20 08:39 PM

Loudness wars revisited

On 14/02/2020 1:47 am, hinz wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>> Sorry in advance for this can of worms.
>>
>> Just played a CD 'Crème Anglaise', with Supertramp saxophonist John
>> Helliwell. A lovely recording.
>>
>> Then I put on Anastacia's 'Not That Kind', which I picked up 'used', on
>> a whim for $1 at a fund-raising store. Put it on and just about knocked
>> the house down.
>>
>> Thundering deep synth bass -

> Listening to this Anastacia album, lots of synth bass but I find it not
> very deep at all. Bass guitars are usually mixed with more bottom end
> than that... the music is quite nice!
>
> Anyone know some good music with low synth bass pls let me know, I am
> into that sort of thing.

Well it *is* there . I must suck it up into Sound Forge or something to
check specifically ....

Try the start of Sting 'A Thousand Years' off Brand New Day for some
low rumble if that's what shakes yer booties. Or 'Shaking The Tree' by
Peter Gabriel. Or the outro of 'Don't Give Up'.

geoff

david gourley[_4_] February 13th 20 09:39 PM

Loudness wars revisited

geoff > said...news:RuadnctUIYp2LtjDnZ2dnUU7-
:

> On 14/02/2020 1:47 am, hinz wrote:
>> geoff wrote:
>>> Sorry in advance for this can of worms.
>>>
>>> Just played a CD 'Crème Anglaise', with Supertramp saxophonist John
>>> Helliwell. A lovely recording.
>>>
>>> Then I put on Anastacia's 'Not That Kind', which I picked up 'used', on
>>> a whim for $1 at a fund-raising store. Put it on and just about knocked
>>> the house down.
>>>
>>> Thundering deep synth bass -

>> Listening to this Anastacia album, lots of synth bass but I find it not
>> very deep at all. Bass guitars are usually mixed with more bottom end
>> than that... the music is quite nice!
>>
>> Anyone know some good music with low synth bass pls let me know, I am
>> into that sort of thing.
>>

> Well it *is* there . I must suck it up into Sound Forge or something to
> check specifically ....
>
> Try the start of Sting 'A Thousand Years' off Brand New Day for some
> low rumble if that's what shakes yer booties. Or 'Shaking The Tree' by
> Peter Gabriel. Or the outro of 'Don't Give Up'.
>
> geoff

Seastones by Phil Lesh and Ned Lagin.

david

[email protected] February 13th 20 11:48 PM

Loudness wars revisited

geoff wrote:

>My question is was that OTT bass intended to be heard as such, or
>mastered that way in an effort to get 'good' bass on lesser replay
>systems ? And the overall loudness thing, well I guess that's another
>story...
>
>geoff

Fletcher-Munson

[email protected] February 13th 20 11:52 PM

Loudness wars revisited

geoff wrote:

>My question is was that OTT bass intended to be heard as such, or
>mastered that way in an effort to get 'good' bass on lesser replay
>systems ? And the overall loudness thing, well I guess that's another
>story...
>
>geoff

Fletcher-Munson?

hinz[_2_] February 14th 20 08:26 AM

low bass (was: Loudness wars revisited)

geoff wrote:
>> Listening to this Anastacia album, lots of synth bass but I find it
>> not very deep at all. Bass guitars are usually mixed with more bottom
>> end than that... the music is quite nice!
>>
>> Anyone know some good music with low synth bass pls let me know, I am
>> into that sort of thing.

> Well it *is* there . I must suck it up into Sound Forge or something to
> check specifically ....
>
> Try the start of Sting 'A Thousand Years' off Brand New Day for some
> low rumble if that's what shakes yer booties. Or 'Shaking The Tree' by
> Peter Gabriel. Or the outro of 'Don't Give Up'.

Thanks!

Some good ones I found over the years:

Earth Song by Michael Jackson

True Colours by Phil Collins

Yo Mama by Frank Zappa

[email protected] February 14th 20 09:22 AM

hinz wrote:

>True Colours by Phil Collins

For me there is only one True Colours: Cindi Lauper's original!

geoff February 14th 20 10:30 AM

low bass

On 14/02/2020 10:22 pm, wrote:
> hinz wrote:
>
>> True Colours by Phil Collins

> For me there is only one True Colours: Cindi Lauper's original!

Split Enz True colours 6 years prior. No relation.

geoff

None February 14th 20 12:25 PM

Loudness wars revisited

Theckma