AudioBanter

AudioBanter (http://www.audiobanter.com/index.php)
-   Tech (http://www.audiobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Peerless Speakers (http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=141495)

gregz June 20th 18 08:37 AM

Peerless Speakers

Can anyone can tell a story about Peerless in Mass. and did it have Danish
roots ?

Greg

Julian Macassey June 21st 18 07:07 PM

Peerless Speakers

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:37:33 -0000 (UTC), gregz > wrote:
> Can anyone can tell a story about Peerless in Mass. and did it have Danish
> roots ?

Peerless speakers were a Danish company and had a good
reputation.

It seems things have changed:

https://www.tymphany.com/peerless/

+ Peerless was founded in Denmark in 1926. In 2000, Vifa, also
+ founded in Denmark, merged with Peerless to form Danish Sound
+ Technology (DST). In 2005, Tymphany acquired Danish Sound
+ Technology (DST) along with the original Peerless, Vifa, and
+ Scan-Speak brands, engineering, products, and technology.

--
"The only interesting thing about religion is how many people
it's slaughtered." - Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead

gregz June 22nd 18 08:56 AM

Peerless Speakers

Julian Macassey > wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:37:33 -0000 (UTC), gregz > wrote:
>> Can anyone can tell a story about Peerless in Mass. and did it have Danish
>> roots ?

> Peerless speakers were a Danish company and had a good
> reputation.
>
> It seems things have changed:
>
> https://www.tymphany.com/peerless/
>
> + Peerless was founded in Denmark in 1926. In 2000, Vifa, also
> + founded in Denmark, merged with Peerless to form Danish Sound
> + Technology (DST). In 2005, Tymphany acquired Danish Sound
> + Technology (DST) along with the original Peerless, Vifa, and
> + Scan-Speak brands, engineering, products, and technology.

I'm referring to having a plant in Leominster Mass.. There were some
interesting drivers, and also made some for Infinity. Seems like I read
more but forgot. I would have to read all back issues of Speaker Builder
mag to renew what I once knew.

Greg

[email protected] June 30th 18 01:51 PM

Peerless Speakers

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 3:56:25 AM UTC-4, G wrote:
> Julian Macassey wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:37:33 -0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:
> >> Can anyone can tell a story about Peerless in Mass. and did it have Danish
> >> roots ?

> > Peerless speakers were a Danish company and had a good
> > reputation.
> >
> > It seems things have changed:
> >
> > https://www.tymphany.com/peerless/
> >
> > + Peerless was founded in Denmark in 1926. In 2000, Vifa, also
> > + founded in Denmark, merged with Peerless to form Danish Sound
> > + Technology (DST). In 2005, Tymphany acquired Danish Sound
> > + Technology (DST) along with the original Peerless, Vifa, and
> > + Scan-Speak brands, engineering, products, and technology.

> I'm referring to having a plant in Leominster Mass.. There were some
> interesting drivers, and also made some for Infinity. Seems like I read
> more but forgot. I would have to read all back issues of Speaker Builder
> mag to renew what I once knew.

The Peerless plant in Leominster folded around 1984, as I recall. One
of the sales people bought the assets and attempted to restart it
in Amherst, NH in 1986 under the name "Precision". I was hired on as
the technical designer for the company for a period of about a year
shortly thereafter. The emphasis of the line was polypropylene midranges
and woofers ranging 4" to 12" for the OEM market. That concern folded due
to lack or operating capital in 1987. It had no affiliation with Peerless
Denmark, and the products bore little more than superficial resemblance
to the Danish products. At the same time, there was a Peerless India,
which was trying to sell principally tweeters. It had little if any ties
to either Peerless Denmark or Peerless

Dick Pierce

Trevor July 1st 18 11:59 AM

Peerless Speakers

On 30/06/2018 10:51 PM, wrote:
> The Peerless plant in Leominster folded around 1984, as I recall. One
> of the sales people bought the assets and attempted to restart it
> in Amherst, NH in 1986 under the name "Precision". I was hired on as
> the technical designer for the company for a period of about a year
> shortly thereafter. The emphasis of the line was polypropylene midranges
> and woofers ranging 4" to 12" for the OEM market. That concern folded due
> to lack or operating capital in 1987. It had no affiliation with Peerless
> Denmark, and the products bore little more than superficial resemblance
> to the Danish products. At the same time, there was a Peerless India,
> which was trying to sell principally tweeters. It had little if any ties
> to either Peerless Denmark or Peerless
>
> Dick Pierce

Greetings Dick, I so miss not seeing more of your insightful posts here
like the good old days. Hope you are well.

Trevor.

gregz July 2nd 18 09:01 AM

Peerless Speakers

> wrote:
> On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 3:56:25 AM UTC-4, G wrote:
>> Julian Macassey wrote:
>>>
>>> Peerless speakers were a Danish company and had a good
>>> reputation.
>>>
>>> It seems things have changed:
>>>
>>> https://www.tymphany.com/peerless/
>>>
>>> + Peerless was founded in Denmark in 1926. In 2000, Vifa, also
>>> + founded in Denmark, merged with Peerless to form Danish Sound
>>> + Technology (DST). In 2005, Tymphany acquired Danish Sound
>>> + Technology (DST) along with the original Peerless, Vifa, and
>>> + Scan-Speak brands, engineering, products, and technology.

>> I'm referring to having a plant in Leominster Mass.. There were some
>> interesting drivers, and also made some for Infinity. Seems like I read
>> more but forgot. I would have to read all back issues of Speaker Builder
>> mag to renew what I once knew.

> The Peerless plant in Leominster folded around 1984, as I recall. One
> of the sales people bought the assets and attempted to restart it
> in Amherst, NH in 1986 under the name "Precision". I was hired on as
> the technical designer for the company for a period of about a year
> shortly thereafter. The emphasis of the line was polypropylene midranges
> and woofers ranging 4" to 12" for the OEM market. That concern folded due
> to lack or operating capital in 1987. It had no affiliation with Peerless
> Denmark, and the products bore little more than superficial resemblance
> to the Danish products. At the same time, there was a Peerless India,
> which was trying to sell principally tweeters. It had little if any ties
> to either Peerless Denmark or Peerless
>
> Dick Pierce

Thank you.

Greg

gregz July 3rd 18 07:19 AM

Peerless Speakers

gregz > wrote:
> > wrote:

>>> I'm referring to having a plant in Leominster Mass.. There were some
>>> interesting drivers, and also made some for Infinity. Seems like I read
>>> more but forgot. I would have to read all back issues of Speaker Builder
>>> mag to renew what I once knew.

>> The Peerless plant in Leominster folded around 1984, as I recall. One
>> of the sales people bought the assets and attempted to restart it
>> in Amherst, NH in 1986 under the name "Precision". I was hired on as
>> the technical designer for the company for a period of about a year
>> shortly thereafter. The emphasis of the line was polypropylene midranges
>> and woofers ranging 4" to 12" for the OEM market. That concern folded due
>> to lack or operating capital in 1987. It had no affiliation with Peerless
>> Denmark, and the products bore little more than superficial resemblance
>> to the Danish products. At the same time, there was a Peerless India,
>> which was trying to sell principally tweeters. It had little if any ties
>> to either Peerless Denmark or Peerless
>>
>> Dick Pierce

> Thank you.
>
> Greg

I had some vague memory reading Speaker Builder. I acquired some liquidated
8 inch woofers and tweeters by Onkyo. I made some speakers early 90s.

Greg