PDA

View Full Version : Re: Problem with 24 bit aiff when copied from PC to Mac

Brian Tankersley
July 5th 03, 05:34 AM
The lack of Window's support for the resource fork on Mac native file
formats renders the PC originated versions of those files to be useless
on a Mac. Does that make sense?

In a nutshell, it's an OS issue. I've yet to see an SD2 or AIF created
on a PC open correctly on a Mac. If somebody knows something I don't
about this, please jump in here. AFAIK, it's a no go.

The easy fix is to give him WAV files which will work perfectly.

Regards,
Brian T

Bob Drake wrote:

>I gave someone (he is not very experienced working with audio) 24 bit aif
>files on a CDR. I'm using a PC, Samplitude 7.11. He copied the files to his
>Mac and says they are:
>A) "Not even recognised" by ProTools or Logic (he didn't say what versions),
>and
>B) Show up as 16 bit Quicktime movie files.
>
>I told him to try renaming them "aiff", because I have seen this same
>problem fixed that way before, but he insists it doesn't work in this case.
>He is in London and I'm in S. France so I can't just pop over there and try
>a few things myself. Any tips?
>
>Thanks,
>BD

Sugarite
July 5th 03, 06:32 PM
> I gave someone (he is not very experienced working with audio) 24 bit aif
> files on a CDR. I'm using a PC, Samplitude 7.11. He copied the files to
his
> Mac and says they are:
> A) "Not even recognised" by ProTools or Logic (he didn't say what
versions),
> and
> B) Show up as 16 bit Quicktime movie files.
>
> I told him to try renaming them "aiff", because I have seen this same
> problem fixed that way before, but he insists it doesn't work in this
case.
> He is in London and I'm in S. France so I can't just pop over there and
try
> a few things myself. Any tips?

Sounds like he's still using OS 9, which still isn't a bad idea for audio.
Tell him to look for a program on Versiontracker.com that allows you to
change creator and file type settings. Last one I used was called Creator
Changer for OS 9 (worked in classic). The creator shouldn't matter, but the
file type should be AIFF. If that doesn't work he should try opening it
with a sound utility like SoundApp (also for OS 9), and do a null
conversion, meaning no file attributes are changed, but a new file is
generated from scratch and should be properly formatted. Peak can also work
for that.

Bob Drake
July 6th 03, 01:07 AM
Thank you for the info. I've also just sent the guy a CDR with 24 bit wav
files instead, and await his response. Meanwhile I will note what you have
mentioned here for future reference.
BD
www.bdrak.com

"Sugarite" > wrote in message
> > I gave someone (he is not very experienced working with audio) 24 bit
aif
> > files on a CDR. I'm using a PC, Samplitude 7.11. He copied the files to
> his
> > Mac and says they are:
> > A) "Not even recognised" by ProTools or Logic (he didn't say what
> versions),
> > and
> > B) Show up as 16 bit Quicktime movie files.
> >
> > I told him to try renaming them "aiff", because I have seen this same
> > problem fixed that way before, but he insists it doesn't work in this
> case.
> > He is in London and I'm in S. France so I can't just pop over there and
> try
> > a few things myself. Any tips?
>
> Sounds like he's still using OS 9, which still isn't a bad idea for audio.
> Tell him to look for a program on Versiontracker.com that allows you to
> change creator and file type settings. Last one I used was called Creator
> Changer for OS 9 (worked in classic). The creator shouldn't matter, but
the
> file type should be AIFF. If that doesn't work he should try opening it
> with a sound utility like SoundApp (also for OS 9), and do a null
> conversion, meaning no file attributes are changed, but a new file is
> generated from scratch and should be properly formatted. Peak can also
work
> for that.

Bob Drake
July 6th 03, 09:39 AM
Thanks Brian.
I would have given him wav files but he specifically asked for aiff. I
honestly think it is teh first time he's ever done a project where he had to
trade files between not only Mac/PC but also PT/Samplitude. I remember how
surprised he was that I simply dragged his files into a new Samplitude
project...he was expecting some kind of problems. Anyway after this he will
maybe trust me a little more next time :)