PDA

View Full Version : Housecleaning

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 02:58 AM
Seeing as how today is Indepenence Day, I decided it was time to
declare independence for a portion of my large magazine collection. So
in the spirit of the soon-to-be-heard-in-offices-everywhere cry of
"Does anyone want any tomatoes?" I ask: "Does anyone want any old
magazines?"

I've decided to keep all of my AES Journals, Studio Sound, R/E-P, dB,
Pro Audio Review, Audio Media, and (for nostalga since I wrote
regularly for them for close to 5 years) Recording. I've also decided
that since I've declared 1991 to be the start of the project studio
revolution, I'm keeping my pre-1991 issues of Mix, and I'm keeping the
last year and current year (2002-2003) but getting rid of everything
in between. I've pitched some EQs over the years and given away a
couple of stacks, but I still have a pile of them.

Pickup in the DC area only - no shipping, but they're free. If you
want a piece of temporary history, get in touch. Otherwise they'll go
out with the trash over the next couple of weeks.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Roger W. Norman
July 5th 03, 05:40 AM
Boy do I know that one. After about 10 years of mags building up I finally
broke down and realized that most of them didn't have enough in the way of
technique building material to keep so I started tossing them out, one year
at a time about every 6 months. Hell, I've got 3 months of mags sitting on
my coffee table right now. When I can no longer see the entire wide screen
I finally throw them away! <g>

My suggestion is to just sit down with them, wrap them with packing tape and
put 'em in the trash. I know I've ****ed off the trash guys more than once
with a big pile of mags.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"Mike Rivers" > wrote in message

> Seeing as how today is Indepenence Day, I decided it was time to
> declare independence for a portion of my large magazine collection. So
> in the spirit of the soon-to-be-heard-in-offices-everywhere cry of
> "Does anyone want any tomatoes?" I ask: "Does anyone want any old
> magazines?"
>
> I've decided to keep all of my AES Journals, Studio Sound, R/E-P, dB,
> Pro Audio Review, Audio Media, and (for nostalga since I wrote
> regularly for them for close to 5 years) Recording. I've also decided
> that since I've declared 1991 to be the start of the project studio
> revolution, I'm keeping my pre-1991 issues of Mix, and I'm keeping the
> last year and current year (2002-2003) but getting rid of everything
> in between. I've pitched some EQs over the years and given away a
> couple of stacks, but I still have a pile of them.
>
> Pickup in the DC area only - no shipping, but they're free. If you
> want a piece of temporary history, get in touch. Otherwise they'll go
> out with the trash over the next couple of weeks.
>

> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers - )

LeBaron & Alrich
July 5th 03, 07:18 AM
Roger W. Norman > wrote:

> My suggestion is to just sit down with them, wrap them with packing tape and
> put 'em in the trash. I know I've ****ed off the trash guys more than once
> with a big pile of mags.

Don't you people have recycling over there in the eastern portions of
the US?

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement

Geoff Wood
July 5th 03, 07:50 AM
"LeBaron & Alrich" > wrote in message
.. .
> Roger W. Norman > wrote:
>
> > My suggestion is to just sit down with them, wrap them with packing tape
and
> > put 'em in the trash. I know I've ****ed off the trash guys more than
once
> > with a big pile of mags.
>
> Don't you people have recycling over there in the eastern portions of
> the US?

I kind'a like the idea of recycling the magazine 'content' as well as the
paper ! I'm still in hoarding mode, so it doesn't affect me....

geoff

LLLindblad
July 5th 03, 08:34 AM
>Don't you people have recycling over there in the eastern portions of
>the US?

First off, I ALWAYS recycle......right into the landfill...it's my patriotic
duty to leave the next generation(my kids) exactly what I inherited, even
more(or worse, as the case may be)!

but seriously, my main point of this reply to the thread is when have you NOT
seen roger **** <somebody> off????

laters
tuna

unitron
July 5th 03, 11:28 AM
(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1057367742k@trad>...
> Seeing as how today is Indepenence Day, I decided it was time to
> declare independence for a portion of my large magazine collection. So
> in the spirit of the soon-to-be-heard-in-offices-everywhere cry of
> "Does anyone want any tomatoes?" I ask: "Does anyone want any old
> magazines?"
>
> I've decided to keep all of my AES Journals, Studio Sound, R/E-P, dB,
> Pro Audio Review, Audio Media, and (for nostalga since I wrote
> regularly for them for close to 5 years) Recording. I've also decided
> that since I've declared 1991 to be the start of the project studio
> revolution, I'm keeping my pre-1991 issues of Mix, and I'm keeping the
> last year and current year (2002-2003) but getting rid of everything
> in between. I've pitched some EQs over the years and given away a
> couple of stacks, but I still have a pile of them.
>
> Pickup in the DC area only - no shipping, but they're free. If you
> want a piece of temporary history, get in touch. Otherwise they'll go
> out with the trash over the next couple of weeks.

Rather than having them disappear forever, have you considered selling
them on eBay? That way someone else can get some good out of them and
you'll have made them available to a wider range of people than just
those who read here. If someone really wants them you should be able
to get enough to cover shipping and your time and trouble to do so.
Or maybe there's a library in your area that would accept them as a
donation.

Roger W. Norman
July 5th 03, 01:06 PM
I think there's a running battle with the trash/recycle guys. They both
come on the same day, and if I put plastic bags out with the trash and
recycle, the recycle guys throw them on the trash if they come first, and on
the ground if they get there last. Mags are recycled, however the brown
paper bags I put my newspapers in for recycle won't go. All of these things
are listed in the recycle pamphlet, but apparently the recycle guys haven't
read the damned thing.

So yes, we have mandatory recycle, but we don't know if what we put in
recycling actually gets recycled.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"LeBaron & Alrich" > wrote in message
.. .
> Roger W. Norman > wrote:
>
> > My suggestion is to just sit down with them, wrap them with packing tape
and
> > put 'em in the trash. I know I've ****ed off the trash guys more than
once
> > with a big pile of mags.
>
> Don't you people have recycling over there in the eastern portions of
> the US?
>
> --
> hank alrich * secret mountain
> audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
> "If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"

Roger W. Norman
July 5th 03, 01:11 PM
I know I ****ed off my UPS guy when he had to deliver 26 BOXES of Lotus
Notes software. All I had asked my Notes rep for was one server package and
one client package. I think I still have a couple up on the bookshelf. At
least my UPS guy seems to be changing over less these days! <g>

But hey, I don't really TRY to **** every body off. Really, I don't.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"LLLindblad" > wrote in message
> >Don't you people have recycling over there in the eastern portions of
> >the US?
>
> First off, I ALWAYS recycle......right into the landfill...it's my
patriotic
> duty to leave the next generation(my kids) exactly what I inherited, even
> more(or worse, as the case may be)!
>
> but seriously, my main point of this reply to the thread is when have you
NOT
> seen roger **** <somebody> off????
>
> laters
> tuna

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 02:46 PM
In article > writes:

> Boy do I know that one. After about 10 years of mags building up

Only ten years? My earliest ones date back to 1974. I was getting them
before that, but I was careless in my youth and threw out most of them
after I had read them. The real solid collection starts about 1980.

> My suggestion is to just sit down with them, wrap them with packing tape

The packing tape is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. But then I
don't move often, don't often need to send things back for repair, and
don't sell anything, so a roll of packing tape lasts about 20 years
around here and I have to spend half an hour looking for it when I
need it.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 02:46 PM
In article > writes:

> Don't you people have recycling over there in the eastern portions of
> the US?

Yes, but they're fussy about what they take, and they won't come into
the living room and carry it out. They take newspaper for recycling
but I'm not sure if they recycle slick paper yet.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

John LeBlanc
July 5th 03, 02:51 PM
"Roger W. Norman" > wrote in message
> Once the mags got to putting back articles on the net, I just found it
> unnecessary to try to refer to an article via the paper editions. After a
> few years of mags on the shelves it can become a daunting task to actually
> put your hands on an article.

Years ago a friend of mine shared a great idea he'd been using: he tears out
the articles he finds interesting and tosses out the rest of the magazine.
No tons of old magazines hanging around, and he keeps a nice file of
relevant articles.

Great idea. Some day I might try it. <g>

John

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 04:50 PM
In article > writes:

> Rather than having them disappear forever, have you considered selling
> them on eBay?

No, but I'll be happy to give them to anyone else who wants to do that
and I won't even ask for a cut. I don't sell on eBay. Libraries don't
take old magazines nor does Goodwill unless they're National
Geographic.

Nope, these need to go to someone who's willing to take the trouble to
pick them up.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 04:50 PM
In article > writes:

> Mags are recycled, however the brown
> paper bags I put my newspapers in for recycle won't go.

It must be a regional thing. All of the localaties around here seem to
have slightly different rules (whether the collectors are aware of
them or not). Here in Fairfax, they used to tell us to put newspapers
in paper grocery bags, but then they gave us all plastic tubs for
paper recycling. Mine is split down one side due to careless handling
by the collectors. I should ask them to bring me another one.

Here, plastic, glass, and tin cans go in the same (also County
provided) recycling tub, but I know that in Takoma Park people would
get tickets for putting the wrong thing in the wrong compartment of
the recycling container.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 04:50 PM
In article > writes:

> Once the mags got to putting back articles on the net, I just found it
> unnecessary to try to refer to an article via the paper editions.

I doubt that they go back this far. I'm thinking that unless someone
comes over and picks up the load, I'll start cycling them through the
bathroom one more time, maybe a week's worth at a time. If I see an
article or review that I think is worth saving, I'll cut it out and
file it (someplace where I'll never think to look for it no doubt). So
far I've gone through four issues and not cut out a thing. Interesting
articles about 16-bit A/D converters but nothing that would be
applicable today.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 04:50 PM
In article > writes:

> I know I ****ed off my UPS guy when he had to deliver 26 BOXES of Lotus
> Notes software.

A friend of mine gets an order from MSC about once a week, a box of
bolts, some metal, tools - pretty heavy stuff. His UPS driver is
getting stronger.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Hal Laurent
July 5th 03, 06:00 PM

> Here, plastic, glass, and tin cans go in the same (also County
> provided) recycling tub, but I know that in Takoma Park people would
> get tickets for putting the wrong thing in the wrong compartment of
> the recycling container.

Is the People's Republic of Takoma Park still a nuclear-free zone? :-)

Hal Laurent
Baltimore, Maryland

Mike Rivers
July 5th 03, 08:41 PM
In article > writes:

> Years ago a friend of mine shared a great idea he'd been using: he tears out
> the articles he finds interesting and tosses out the rest of the magazine.

The problem with that is that articles that you find interesting when
the magazine is new may not be very interesting years later, even as
history. Or are you suggesting that first he throws out the bulk of
the magazine, and shortly thereafter throws out the articles he cuts
out?

I have articles that are 30 years old, some of them construction
articles that use parts that you can't get any more. But yeah, they're
"interesting."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Joe Hill
July 5th 03, 10:14 PM
Really?

I gave a lot of my old magazines (technical ones like yours) to a local
university / they gave me a receipt for a tax deduction. Not much (maybe
fifty cents a mag?) but I've been to the stacks and see that they actually
used them.

JH

> Libraries don't
> take old magazines nor does Goodwill unless they're National
> Geographic.
>

> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers - )

John LeBlanc
July 5th 03, 10:56 PM

writes:

> > Years ago a friend of mine shared a great idea he'd been using: he tears
out
> > the articles he finds interesting and tosses out the rest of the
magazine.

> The problem with that is that articles that you find interesting when
> the magazine is new may not be very interesting years later, even as
> history. Or are you suggesting that first he throws out the bulk of
> the magazine, and shortly thereafter throws out the articles he cuts
> out?

Actually, he thumbs through the magazine when he gets it, then puts it in
the pile for closer study (which pile is generally located in the bathroom.)
He reads and rips those articles that interest him, files the articles and
throws the rest of the mag away.

So far as I know, he rarely throws away ripped articles.

> I have articles that are 30 years old, some of them construction
> articles that use parts that you can't get any more. But yeah, they're
> "interesting."

I haven't found it in my person to throw out any of the rack magazines.
Trades I toss indescriminately. Otherwise I wouldn't have room for Popular
Electronics going back to 1976, QST about the same time, etc. <g> Probably
like you, I've books and articles using components only found in the
Smithsonian.

Some day I'll get the gumption to really clear that stuff out; it's not like
I could lay my hands on any of it without a forklift to get to it anyway.
And the little lady would be thrilled to death.

John

Jon Best
July 5th 03, 11:45 PM
We do here. Last year I filled up my big recycling bin thing to overflowing
with many, many magazines. My driveway's never felt so long.

Of course, I had to wait until two days after my brother in law built a
bunch of magazine holders for me.

--
Jon Best
Muddy Creek Audio
"LeBaron & Alrich" > wrote in message
.. .
> Roger W. Norman > wrote:
>
> > My suggestion is to just sit down with them, wrap them with packing tape
and
> > put 'em in the trash. I know I've ****ed off the trash guys more than
once
> > with a big pile of mags.
>
> Don't you people have recycling over there in the eastern portions of
> the US?
>
> --
> hank alrich * secret mountain
> audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
> "If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"

Mike Rivers
July 6th 03, 01:20 AM
In article > writes:

> Is the People's Republic of Takoma Park still a nuclear-free zone? :-)

They wouldn't have it any other way. I don't even think you can smoke
there any more.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

ScotFraser
July 6th 03, 04:12 AM
<< I've also decided
that since I've declared 1991 to be the start of the project studio
revolution, I'm keeping my pre-1991 issues of Mix, >>

I personally would set that date in the mid 1970's, probably coinciding with
the advent of the TEAC 3340.

Scott Fraser

Kurt Albershardt
July 6th 03, 05:09 AM
ScotFraser wrote:

>>> I've also decided
>> that since I've declared 1991 to be the start of the project studio
>> revolution, I'm keeping my pre-1991 issues of Mix, >>
>
> I personally would set that date in the mid 1970's, probably coinciding with
> the advent of the TEAC 3340.

Using that standard, 1991 would be the start of the bedroom studio
revolution (or was that devolution?)

Garthrr
July 6th 03, 09:49 AM
In article >,
(ScotFraser) writes:

>I personally would set that date in the mid 1970's, probably coinciding with
>the advent of the TEAC 3340.
>

>Scott Fraser

I got my Dokorder 4 track in 1974 I think. That was my start in the home studio
thing.
Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney

Mike Rivers
July 6th 03, 12:27 PM
In article > writes:

> I haven't found it in my person to throw out any of the rack magazines.
> Trades I toss indescriminately. Otherwise I wouldn't have room for Popular
> Electronics going back to 1976, QST about the same time, etc. <g>

In 1980 when I moved last (and actually, first) I threw away a bunch
of magazines including Popular Electronics going back to the very
first issue, October 1955 I think. I even had a letter to the editor
in one of those issues.

> Some day I'll get the gumption to really clear that stuff out; it's not like
> I could lay my hands on any of it without a forklift to get to it anyway.

I have the gumption all the time, I just don't have the heart. And
it's not like I don't have the room to store the collection someplace.
But I know about archives, and particularly gifts of archives. Very
little of it is actually appreciated, most of it is a pain in the butt
for the recipient. (I've been one)

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Roger W. Norman
July 6th 03, 04:58 PM
No tickets for us, just toss the **** back in the yard. For instance, even
though the car oil bottles have recycle marks, they throw them back in my
yard if they see them. They don't appear to take recyclable plastic bags so
now I have to run them back to Giant. Generally they just sometimes
arbitrarily choose to take some things while leaving identical things there,
like boxes. Broken down boxes, no staples, sometimes half are gone and the
other half still sitting there on the lawn. It's just the guys doing our
trash and recycles, not the laws about recycling.

--

> In article > writes:
>
> > Mags are recycled, however the brown
> > paper bags I put my newspapers in for recycle won't go.
>
> It must be a regional thing. All of the localaties around here seem to
> have slightly different rules (whether the collectors are aware of
> them or not). Here in Fairfax, they used to tell us to put newspapers
> in paper grocery bags, but then they gave us all plastic tubs for
> paper recycling. Mine is split down one side due to careless handling
> by the collectors. I should ask them to bring me another one.
>
> Here, plastic, glass, and tin cans go in the same (also County
> provided) recycling tub, but I know that in Takoma Park people would
> get tickets for putting the wrong thing in the wrong compartment of
> the recycling container.
>

> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Mike Rivers
July 6th 03, 04:59 PM
In article > writes:

> << I've also decided
> that since I've declared 1991 to be the start of the project studio
> revolution, I'm keeping my pre-1991 issues of Mix, >>
>
> I personally would set that date in the mid 1970's, probably coinciding with
> the advent of the TEAC 3340.

That may have been the start of the project studio concept, and there
was certainly a small amount of music coming out of bedrooms (relative
to the amount coming out of major label studios) back then, but the
snowball didn't really get rolling until the '90's when ADATs replaced
1/2" 8-track recorders, and people discovered that they could record
and edit on their computers, and even make CDs economically.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Analogeezer
July 7th 03, 01:47 AM
(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1057367742k@trad>...
> Seeing as how today is Indepenence Day, I decided it was time to
> declare independence for a portion of my large magazine collection. So
> in the spirit of the soon-to-be-heard-in-offices-everywhere cry of
> "Does anyone want any tomatoes?" I ask: "Does anyone want any old
> magazines?"
>
> I've decided to keep all of my AES Journals, Studio Sound, R/E-P, dB,
> Pro Audio Review, Audio Media, and (for nostalga since I wrote
> regularly for them for close to 5 years) Recording. I've also decided
> that since I've declared 1991 to be the start of the project studio
> revolution, I'm keeping my pre-1991 issues of Mix, and I'm keeping the
> last year and current year (2002-2003) but getting rid of everything
> in between. I've pitched some EQs over the years and given away a
> couple of stacks, but I still have a pile of them.
>
> Pickup in the DC area only - no shipping, but they're free. If you
> want a piece of temporary history, get in touch. Otherwise they'll go
> out with the trash over the next couple of weeks.

Geez Mike I'd come by but it looks like you are giving away the ****
and keeping the good stuff.

I've actually been getting a lot of action out of my old mags lately,
been buying some older used gear and while I realize that magazine
reviews need to be taken with a bit of "salt", it's nice to actually
be able to read about the features and user aspects of some old piece
of gear.

I've got a Sony R7 on the way and was able to read reviews/articles
about it in three old mags...that was kinda cool.

FWIW, I'm kind of a magazine Slut, I've got Cycle World's going back
to about 1978...

Analogeezer

Roger W. Norman
July 7th 03, 11:32 AM
Couldn't afford a good 4 track, so I had two so-so Sony 2 tracks with SOS.
One I brought home with me from Hong Kong, so that makes it about 1972, but
I wouldn't and don't call that being a studio. Maybe a stuidiot. Got
married in 1978 (first time) and had to immediately sell all my equipment
and it took me 10 years to get back into music like I wanted (hmmm, just the
time my divorce became final! <g>). It's hard to find a woman that's
willing to put up with a man's desire to have a studio.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"Garthrr" > wrote in message
> In article >,

> (ScotFraser) writes:
>
> >I personally would set that date in the mid 1970's, probably coinciding
with
> >the advent of the TEAC 3340.
> >

> >Scott Fraser
>
> I got my Dokorder 4 track in 1974 I think. That was my start in the home
studio
> thing.
> Garth~
>

> "I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
> Ed Cherney

Mike Rivers
July 7th 03, 01:11 PM
In article > writes:

> I've actually been getting a lot of action out of my old mags lately,
> been buying some older used gear and while I realize that magazine
> reviews need to be taken with a bit of "salt", it's nice to actually
> be able to read about the features and user aspects of some old piece
> of gear.

Well, I figure that anything within the last 10 years that I want to
buy, I probably remember. I'm starting to cycle them through the
bathroom one more time for a quick look-through at the table of
contents and y'know, there's some interesting stuff in there. For
instance with all the people who want line level mixers, in 1992 there
was the 8 channel Rane CM86 for $1300. Where are they today?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

ScotFraser
July 8th 03, 06:56 PM
<< > I personally would set that date in the mid 1970's, probably coinciding
with
> the advent of the TEAC 3340.>>

<<Using that standard, 1991 would be the start of the bedroom studio
revolution (or was that devolution?)

True enough. My 3340S was in my living room.

Scott Fraser

ScotFraser
July 8th 03, 07:00 PM
<< It's hard to find a woman that's
willing to put up with a man's desire to have a studio.

You need to have the studio first. Then she has to understand the studio is
included as part of the package. Worked for me.

Scott Fraser

AudioChick
February 17th 09, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Rivers;81259]In article > writes:
[color=blue][i]
Well, I figure that anything within the last 10 years that I want to
buy, I probably remember. I'm starting to cycle them through the
bathroom one more time for a quick look-through at the table of
contents and y'know, there's some interesting stuff in there. For
instance with all the people who want line level mixers, in 1992 there
was the 8 channel Rane CM86 for $1300. Where are they today?

Ahh the good old Rane CM86. My church is actually selling 2 of those right now. Any takers?