PDA

View Full Version : Great Drum Sound

Martin_A
July 4th 03, 07:47 PM
Hello, first let me just say how much I love this news group; what a great
place to learn and keep up with the latest!!

Second, check out this drum sample (3.6MB .wav):
http://www.geocities.com/beautiful_ape/Drumsample.wav

I would love to know how they got it to sound like that (what type of
drums/heads, room, mics/placement, pre's, processing, or samples etc.) Just
from listening to this short loop, do any of you have any suggestions on how
to get this sound?

Thanks,

Martin

david tonkin
July 5th 03, 12:31 PM
It's a drum machine.

"Martin_A" > wrote in message news:<

> I would love to know how they got it to sound like that (what type of
> drums/heads, room, mics/placement, pre's, processing, or samples etc.) Just
> from listening to this short loop, do any of you have any suggestions on how
> to get this sound?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

Mike Caffrey
July 5th 03, 06:45 PM
In article >, "David Morgan
\(MAMS\)" > wrote:

> "david tonkin" > wrote in message
m...
> > It's a drum machine.
>
> They cymbals are a dead giveaway. This could even be a 12bit Yammy RX-15.
> Then again... we could be wrong.

A client asked me to critique a demo she did at another studio recently. I
was really impressed at how great the drum machine and smapled piano
sounded. Then she told me they were real. Everything had been run through
beat detective and it clipped the cymbals all over the place. I can't
figure out how they removed all the harmonics from the 9' grand.

www.monsterisland.com

Martin_A
July 5th 03, 08:06 PM
Hehe, no kidding; why do I feel like I'm walking down a busy street with my
zipper down... :-)

But still I really like the drum sounds in that little clip and was
wondering how I could achieve a sound similar to it by using real
drums/mics. I love the crack, tone and decay on the kick/snare and also dig
the tom sound; I think it would sit well in a lot of my mixes...

Much appreciated,

Martin

"David Morgan (MAMS)" > wrote in message

> "david tonkin" > wrote in message
m...
> > It's a drum machine.
>
> They cymbals are a dead giveaway. This could even be a 12bit Yammy RX-15.
> Then again... we could be wrong.
>
> --
> David Morgan (MAMS)
> http://www.m-a-m-s.com
> http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com
>

> > "Martin_A" > wrote in message news:<
> > >
> > > I would love to know how they got it to sound like that (what type of
> > > drums/heads, room, mics/placement, pre's, processing, or samples etc.)
Just
> > > from listening to this short loop, do any of you have any suggestions
on how
> > > to get this sound?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Martin

John L Rice
July 5th 03, 09:04 PM
If you are using a computer you might just try something like Drumagog :
http://www.drumagog.com/

It's a drum sound replacer so you could just record the drums any old way
and then replace the sounds with what ever you like. I haven't tried it but
I've heard from friends it works well and I've also heard that some big name
acts have used it.

John L Rice