PDA

View Full Version : Re: HANGING JBL MONITORS

Steve King
July 4th 03, 05:28 PM
"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Richard Morrow > wrote:
> >Presently my JBL 4412A monitors are apparently too low in height.They
> >are on stands presently which are obviously... too low.

SNIP OF GOOD STUFF

> First put the speakers on a ladder. Move them up the ladder and down the
> ladder and closer to the wall and farther from the wall and in and out.
> Put them on the side. Find the exact location and configuration that
> sounds best. Spend several days doing this.
>
> THEN ask these questions. Higher stands might do the job. Platform
> suspension might. Wrapping chains around the speakers will almost
> certainly damage the finish.

Both Nylon (stretchy) and Dacron (3-4% stretch at about 50% breaking
strength I think) strap is available at marine supply stores in many colors.
The breaking strength of the one inch braid is ample for hanging the JBLs.
If you want a little margin, use one inch tubular braid, which has a
breaking strength of over 4000 lb, IIRC. We use it for jack straps on sail
boats, that to which you hook a tether to keep you on the boat in really
stinky weather. Cut a couple of pieces to go around the speakers plus
enough to go to your ceiling anchors. Have a sailmaker stitch an eye that
just fits around the speaker. A couple of screws through the braid in the
back can be used to adjust the angle.

Steve King

> Hanging the speakers will change the bass coupling a lot, and you will
> notice this on the very bottom end, but first find out where the right
> place to put them is before you worry about that.
> --scott
> --

Scott Dorsey
July 4th 03, 11:02 PM
Roger W. Norman > wrote:
>What have you been smoking, Scott, cause I want some. You want to put 4412s
>on a ladder step? You don't remember how big those farts are, do you.

That's what interns are FOR!

If you don't like the ladders, stacks of milk crates are another trick.

Roger W. Norman
July 5th 03, 04:47 AM
Do your interns have a cot in your garage? <g>

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681