PDA

View Full Version : MOTU 24 i/o...anyone using it?

Karl H
July 4th 03, 12:19 PM
Hello R.A.P.ers

Before I splash out for this, has anyone had experience with the 24 i/o
running on Windows. I know the pain of the MTP AV on Windows but ¿has motu
gotten their act together with this?

TIA, Karl

Thomas Bishop
July 4th 03, 05:09 PM
"Karl H" > wrote in message
> Before I splash out for this, has anyone had experience with the 24 i/o
> running on Windows. I know the pain of the MTP AV on Windows but ¿has
motu
> gotten their act together with this?

I just bought a used 24i and had problems at first. I installed the PCI324
and Windows XP recognized it, installed drivers, and everything looked
great. I could also route signal to and from the breakout box. But the PCI
card wouldn't recognize the box. From the 24i control panel it seemed there
was nothing connected. I had to buy a new motherboard. I was using an Asus
A7S333 and I now have an MSI K7N2. That's the only problem I've had, but I
haven't had it for long enough to fully test it out.

Danny Taddei
July 4th 03, 06:28 PM
Thomas Bishop wrote:

> "Karl H" > wrote in message
>
>>Before I splash out for this, has anyone had experience with the 24 i/o
>>running on Windows. I know the pain of the MTP AV on Windows but ¿has
>
> motu
>
>>gotten their act together with this?
>

> I just bought a used 24i and had problems at first. I installed the PCI324
> and Windows XP recognized it, installed drivers, and everything looked
> great. I could also route signal to and from the breakout box. But the PCI
> card wouldn't recognize the box. From the 24i control panel it seemed there
> was nothing connected. I had to buy a new motherboard. I was using an Asus
> A7S333 and I now have an MSI K7N2. That's the only problem I've had, but I
> haven't had it for long enough to fully test it out.

I almost broke down and went PC but it's stories like this that makes
me so glad i spent the extra on a mac. I realize they both do about the
same (g5 excepted) but still, the hassles involved seem to be more then
I could mentally take.

having that rant out of my lugs:-) how do you like that box as far as
sound goes and can you compare it to some other medium priced gear? thanks

--
Danny Taddei
e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)

Kurt Albershardt
July 4th 03, 07:40 PM
Danny Taddei wrote:

>> I just bought a used 24i and had problems at first. I installed the
>> PCI324 and Windows XP recognized it, installed drivers, and everything looked
>> great. I could also route signal to and from the breakout box. But
>> the PCI card wouldn't recognize the box. From the 24i control panel it seemed
>> there was nothing connected. I had to buy a new motherboard. I was using
>> an Asus A7S333 and I now have an MSI K7N2. That's the only problem I've had,
>> but I haven't had it for long enough to fully test it out.
>

> I almost broke down and went PC but it's stories like this that makes
> me so glad i spent the extra on a mac. I realize they both do about the
> same (g5 excepted) but still, the hassles involved seem to be more then
> I could mentally take.

If you are set on (or already own) a MOTU interface, choosing a Mac is a
very good idea. The quality and stability of their Win32 drivers just
doesn't seem to be up to that of their Mac stuff.

I still advise people to first pick the software that best suits their
workflow and budget. Once that's settled, pick the best OS to run it
on--and only after that should they start shopping for hardware. Choose
the interface vendor and model appropriate to the task and finally the
computer which works best with all of the preceding bits.

It's also a very good idea to spend some time lurking in the
manufacturer's support forum or newsgroup before giving them your money.
Much can be learned from listening to current users' complaints and
observing the manufacturer response (or lack thereof.)

Thomas Bishop
July 4th 03, 07:59 PM
"Danny Taddei" > wrote in message
> I almost broke down and went PC but it's stories like this that makes
> me so glad i spent the extra on a mac. I realize they both do about the
> same (g5 excepted) but still, the hassles involved seem to be more then
> I could mentally take.

I'd like a PowerBook, but I really like Cool Edit Pro which is not made for
Macs. And as Kurt said, the software comes before the OS.

> having that rant out of my lugs:-) how do you like that box as far as
> sound goes and can you compare it to some other medium priced gear? thanks

I did use (and still have but am selling it) a Delta 1010. The Motu has
already been easier to setup than the Delta card. I have now bought two
motherboards just because of soundcard incompatibilities. It took me a lot
longer and was much more of a headache with the Delta card. I now have
almost a full computer sitting around from parts that were either
incompatible or "extra". Maybe I'll switch to Mac and Digital Performer one
day. I've always wanted to use DP.

As far as sound quality goes, I haven't done enough recording on the Motu to
compare the two. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to triple my
inputs for such a small price (probably about $200 after I sell the 1010).

Danny Taddei
July 4th 03, 09:34 PM
This is always good advise. I have a powerbook that is new to me and
want to find a firewire interface to work with it but I also have a g4
tower that I have been considering adding tracks to. I am looking at the
24i/o but if I go that route I have to buy the pci card for it as the
old one that I have doesn't support it. I think I have a 134? The older
card from yester year is the one I have....

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> If you are set on (or already own) a MOTU interface, choosing a Mac is a
> very good idea. The quality and stability of their Win32 drivers just
> doesn't seem to be up to that of their Mac stuff.
>

> I still advise people to first pick the software that best suits their
> workflow and budget. Once that's settled, pick the best OS to run it
> on--and only after that should they start shopping for hardware. Choose
> the interface vendor and model appropriate to the task and finally the
> computer which works best with all of the preceding bits.
>
> It's also a very good idea to spend some time lurking in the
> manufacturer's support forum or newsgroup before giving them your money.
> Much can be learned from listening to current users' complaints and
> observing the manufacturer response (or lack thereof.)

--
Danny Taddei
e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)
There's a horizon on every side. Let your soul inside be the guide and
lead the way.
http://members.cox.net/sandycove/index.html

John L Rice
July 4th 03, 10:23 PM
The old one was the PCI-324, the new one is the PCI-424. So you'd need to
buy the 'core' system which includes the pci card.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

> This is always good advise. I have a powerbook that is new to me and
> want to find a firewire interface to work with it but I also have a g4
> tower that I have been considering adding tracks to. I am looking at the
> 24i/o but if I go that route I have to buy the pci card for it as the
> old one that I have doesn't support it. I think I have a 134? The older
> card from yester year is the one I have....
>

> Kurt Albershardt wrote:
>

> > If you are set on (or already own) a MOTU interface, choosing a Mac is a
> > very good idea. The quality and stability of their Win32 drivers just
> > doesn't seem to be up to that of their Mac stuff.
> >

> > I still advise people to first pick the software that best suits their
> > workflow and budget. Once that's settled, pick the best OS to run it
> > on--and only after that should they start shopping for hardware. Choose
> > the interface vendor and model appropriate to the task and finally the
> > computer which works best with all of the preceding bits.
> >
> > It's also a very good idea to spend some time lurking in the
> > manufacturer's support forum or newsgroup before giving them your money.
> > Much can be learned from listening to current users' complaints and
> > observing the manufacturer response (or lack thereof.)
> >

> --
> Danny Taddei
> e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)

> There's a horizon on every side. Let your soul inside be the guide and
> lead the way.
> http://members.cox.net/sandycove/index.html

Danny Taddei
July 5th 03, 12:46 AM
Cool looking box, I'll look in to it -thanks

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> You probably have a PCI324. The newer PCI424 has onboard DSP for
> monitor mixes and routing.
>

> For 1394, you might also consider the MIO http://www.mhlabs.com/
>

> Danny Taddei wrote:
>
>> This is always good advise. I have a powerbook that is new to me and
>> want to find a firewire interface to work with it but I also have a g4
>> tower that I have been considering adding tracks to. I am looking at
>> the 24i/o but if I go that route I have to buy the pci card for it as
>> the old one that I have doesn't support it. I think I have a 134? The
>> older card from yester year is the one I have....
>>

>> Kurt Albershardt wrote:
>>

>>> If you are set on (or already own) a MOTU interface, choosing a Mac
>>> is a very good idea. The quality and stability of their Win32
>>> drivers just doesn't seem to be up to that of their Mac stuff.
>>>

>>> I still advise people to first pick the software that best suits
>>> their workflow and budget. Once that's settled, pick the best OS to
>>> run it on--and only after that should they start shopping for
>>> hardware. Choose the interface vendor and model appropriate to the
>>> task and finally the computer which works best with all of the
>>> preceding bits.
>>>
>>> It's also a very good idea to spend some time lurking in the
>>> manufacturer's support forum or newsgroup before giving them your
>>> money. Much can be learned from listening to current users'
>>> complaints and observing the manufacturer response (or lack thereof.)

--
Danny Taddei
e-mail me at (remove no-worms-in-a-)
There's a horizon on every side. Let your soul inside be the guide and
lead the way.
http://members.cox.net/sandycove/index.html

Karl H
July 5th 03, 10:35 AM
So Thomas, what MB did you end up using? like you, I'd like to go Mac at
some point, but I've got an investment in the Windows platform. Everyone
elses comments were points well taken but assume a starting point of no
gear....

Karl
"Thomas Bishop" > wrote in message
> "Danny Taddei" > wrote in message
> > I almost broke down and went PC but it's stories like this that makes
> > me so glad i spent the extra on a mac. I realize they both do about the
> > same (g5 excepted) but still, the hassles involved seem to be more then
> > I could mentally take.
>
> I'd like a PowerBook, but I really like Cool Edit Pro which is not made
for
> Macs. And as Kurt said, the software comes before the OS.
>
> > having that rant out of my lugs:-) how do you like that box as far as
> > sound goes and can you compare it to some other medium priced gear?
thanks

> I did use (and still have but am selling it) a Delta 1010. The Motu has
> already been easier to setup than the Delta card. I have now bought two
> motherboards just because of soundcard incompatibilities. It took me a
lot
> longer and was much more of a headache with the Delta card. I now have
> almost a full computer sitting around from parts that were either
> incompatible or "extra". Maybe I'll switch to Mac and Digital Performer
one
> day. I've always wanted to use DP.
>
> As far as sound quality goes, I haven't done enough recording on the Motu
> compare the two. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to triple my
> inputs for such a small price (probably about $200 after I sell the 1010).

Thomas Bishop
July 5th 03, 03:34 PM
"Karl H" > wrote in message...
> So Thomas, what MB did you end up using?

MSI K7N2. So far it seems to be working fine.

Scott Reams
July 7th 03, 05:29 AM
> I almost broke down and went PC but it's stories like this that makes
> me so glad i spent the extra on a mac. I realize they both do about the
> same (g5 excepted) but still, the hassles involved seem to be more then
> I could mentally take.

The issue he encountered was the fault of MOTU. The PCI324 did not properly
follow PCI spec. The PCI424 (which is the topic of the original poster)
fixes the issue.

-S

Paul G. Fitzgerald
July 7th 03, 08:05 PM
Thomas,

How are you selling your Delta 1010? eBay or other method?

I may be interested.

Thanks,

Paul G. Fitzgerald

"Thomas Bishop" > wrote in message
> "Danny Taddei" > wrote in message
> > I almost broke down and went PC but it's stories like this that makes
> > me so glad i spent the extra on a mac. I realize they both do about the
> > same (g5 excepted) but still, the hassles involved seem to be more then
> > I could mentally take.
>
> I'd like a PowerBook, but I really like Cool Edit Pro which is not made
for
> Macs. And as Kurt said, the software comes before the OS.
>
> > having that rant out of my lugs:-) how do you like that box as far as
> > sound goes and can you compare it to some other medium priced gear?
thanks

> I did use (and still have but am selling it) a Delta 1010. The Motu has
> already been easier to setup than the Delta card. I have now bought two
> motherboards just because of soundcard incompatibilities. It took me a
lot
> longer and was much more of a headache with the Delta card. I now have
> almost a full computer sitting around from parts that were either
> incompatible or "extra". Maybe I'll switch to Mac and Digital Performer
one
> day. I've always wanted to use DP.
>
> As far as sound quality goes, I haven't done enough recording on the Motu
> compare the two. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to triple my
> inputs for such a small price (probably about $200 after I sell the 1010).

Kurt Albershardt
July 8th 03, 02:24 AM
Scott Reams wrote:

> "Thomas Bishop" > wrote in message
>>
>>"He" meaning me? You mean the 324 card was the problem?
>>

> Yes. It has compatibility problems on a number of motherboards because of
> problems with the card itself.

And last time I heard, MOTU was not selling PCI424 cards without interfaces.

John L Rice
July 8th 03, 05:44 AM
"Kurt Albershardt" > wrote in message
> Scott Reams wrote:
>
> > "Thomas Bishop" > wrote in message
> >>
> >>"He" meaning me? You mean the 324 card was the problem?
> >>

> > Yes. It has compatibility problems on a number of motherboards because
of
> > problems with the card itself.
>

> And last time I heard, MOTU was not selling PCI424 cards without
interfaces.

www.Musiciansgear.com sells them separately I believe.

John L Rice