PDA

View Full Version : Mastering Lab Mic Pre?

Gary Flanigan
July 3rd 03, 06:50 PM
I know that these are not common, but does anyone here have any experience
with them?

Thanks

Jim Williams
July 4th 03, 05:12 PM
(Gary Flanigan) wrote in message >...
> I know that these are not common, but does anyone here have any experience
> with them?
>
> Thanks

Had a chance to go through one a few years back. The lack of an active
gain pot skewed the s/n ratios, an attenuator was used to pad down the
levels after the gain stage, the noise spec was best at higher gains.
THD+noise was a bit high, I remember it being around 1/2 %, best case.
The unit benefited sonically by replacing coupling caps to high
quality poly film caps. Recommend you try before you buy... as with
any important purchase.
Jim Williams Audio Upgrades

Bob Olhsson
July 4th 03, 06:04 PM
In article >, Jim
Williams > wrote:

>The lack of an active
>gain pot skewed the s/n ratios, an attenuator was used to pad down the
>levels after the gain stage, the noise spec was best at higher gains.

This is true of many of the very finest mike preamps. S/N ratio specs.
in mike preamps can be very misleading because the noise spectrum and
dynamic range are far more important subjectively.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting
Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing, Mastering, Audio for Picture

Dave Collins
July 5th 03, 08:39 AM
In article >,
(Jim Williams) wrote:

> THD+noise was a bit high, I remember it being around 1/2 %, best case.

0.5% best case?? I've used the Mastering Lab line amp for years (same
box with no input transformer) and the distortion is more like 0.001%!
Noise is like -85.

> The unit benefited sonically by replacing coupling caps to high
> quality poly film caps.

Well, the CRC caps that are in there stock are "high quality film caps."
I believe they are Teflon, expensive, and JAN qualified. One of the
lytics is in feedback and the other you just know was selected by
listening.........

DC

Bob Olhsson
July 5th 03, 06:48 PM
In article >, Dave
Collins > wrote:

>In article >,
> (Jim Williams) wrote:
>> The unit benefited sonically by replacing coupling caps to high
>> quality poly film caps.
>
>Well, the CRC caps that are in there stock are "high quality film caps."
>I believe they are Teflon, expensive, and JAN qualified. One of the
>lytics is in feedback and the other you just know was selected by
>listening.........

ooops!

:-)