PDA

View Full Version : Re: I need help repairing a Yamaha SPX-90 (power supply is flaky)

Richard D Pierce
July 3rd 03, 06:26 PM
In article >,
Sam Lloyd > wrote:
>Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with mine? The PS is very
>"touchy" when adjusting the pot, and the voltages jump up above their
>proper levels (I get around 7-8 VDC on the 5V rail, and around 38VDC
>on the +/-18). I replaced the electrolytics and one of the
>optoisolators, but it's still screwy.

Sounds like it jas nothing to do with the electrolytics or
optoisolators. If it's jumping around when you adjust the pot,
it's a strong hint that the pot itself is flaky.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |

Gareth Magennis
July 7th 03, 11:16 AM
"Sam Lloyd" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with mine? The PS is very
> "touchy" when adjusting the pot, and the voltages jump up above their
> proper levels (I get around 7-8 VDC on the 5V rail, and around 38VDC
> on the +/-18). I replaced the electrolytics and one of the
> optoisolators, but it's still screwy.
>
> Also, apparently this overvoltage has killed some of the digital ICs
> because the display doesn't display properly, and there's no audio,
> although the op-amps seem okay.
>
> Any advice?

Sorry, but supplying 8 volts to a 5 volt digital circuit is almost
guaranteed to blow some chips, and from the symptoms I think you're right.
I wouldn't waste any time or money trying to repair this unit and I don't
think many professional repair guys would either- pick up a used one
instead.

Gareth.