PDA

View Full Version : Re: Veam connector - male or female?

George Gleason
July 3rd 03, 06:15 PM
"Paul Hurt" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm building a stagebox/splitter system for live recording use. I seem to
> have settled on Veam connectors for the multi-pin (using the 85-pin
> version).
>
> Just one rather obvious question I hope someone can answer. Is there a
> convention for using either the male or female chassis connector on the
> stagebox?
>
> Since XLR outputs are on pins, you'd maybe guess that you'd use the male
> Veam on the stagebox (seeing as it's mainly carrying mic *outputs*), with
> female Veam on the snake that connects to it.
>
> But maybe convention dictates otherwise?
>
> Would love to know before I spend a ton of cash on the wrong connectors!
>
> Thanks for your help as ever.
>
> Paul Hurt

The rule i use with connectors is if the cable is "hot" then you use a
female on the exposed "Hot" end so as to offer protection from accidental
shocks
also with multi pins you want the male attached as much of the time as
possible to minimize bent and broken pins
I am not aware of the "standard" for large tour companies
George

Mike Rivers
July 3rd 03, 08:21 PM
In article > writes:

> I'm building a stagebox/splitter system for live recording use. I seem to
> have settled on Veam connectors for the multi-pin (using the 85-pin
> version).
> Just one rather obvious question I hope someone can answer. Is there a
> convention for using either the male or female chassis connector on the
> stagebox?

I'm not familair with the term "Veam" but there are two ways of
looking at it. You could adopt the convention that male connectors
point in the direction of signal flow - male connector on the stage
box and females on the cables that connect to them.

The other philosophy is that the cables are more likely to get dragged
through the dirt than the stage box is (at least before it's connected
to the cables) and that male multipin cables are easier to blow dirt
out of than females, so put girls on the box and boys on the
cables.

Or you could use the type of connectors that Whirlwind uses on their
stage box and splitter systems. They're half male and half female, and
you don't need an assistant smart enough to know which end of the
cable to put at the stage because they're both the same.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )