PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to talk to anyone running their own business

gene
July 3rd 03, 06:15 PM
I'm interested in opening up a retail (and possibly online) business for
home theater and stereo equipment. Can anyone tell me, or be willing to
discuss, the merrit and pitfalls of such an operation? At the moment, I
know very little about what needs to be done - how to get hooked into the
distribution network, startup costs, operational costs, liabilities, how
much to stock, what to stock, marketing, etc.

If you've had this experience already, I value any input you can provide.
I'd hate to make a mistake and jump in not fully inderstanding what I am
getting into and fail. Recovereable mistakes are OK, I expect that, but
failure is not an option!

thanks ,

gene

George Gleason
July 3rd 03, 06:46 PM
"gene" > wrote in message

> I'm interested in opening up a retail (and possibly online) business for
> home theater and stereo equipment. Can anyone tell me, or be willing to
> discuss, the merrit and pitfalls of such an operation? At the moment, I
> know very little about what needs to be done - how to get hooked into the
> distribution network, startup costs, operational costs, liabilities, how
> much to stock, what to stock, marketing, etc.
>
> If you've had this experience already, I value any input you can provide.
> I'd hate to make a mistake and jump in not fully inderstanding what I am
> getting into and fail. Recovereable mistakes are OK, I expect that, but
> failure is not an option!

What experiance do you have, have you worked in home hifi retail? how will
you take market away from the buying groups. If you do not know what buying
groups are perhaps your not quite fully ready for this
I own my own Sound Contracting firm I do live sound reinforcment, audio
instllations for retail, food service, education, government and health care
facilities, I also am the service arm of several nationalpackaged music
suppliers(DMX, 3M, Morrisions, Play network)
I sell packaged designed installed and service contracted solutions but
closed my retail store 10 years ago
I spent 10 years before that in retail electronics and commercial A/V
A small bit of advice " Most" Consumers(your customers) will be able to buy
stuff that meets thier needs at lower price, better return policies, and
better selection from a best buy or cost co, than you will buying direct
from the manufacturer
If you genuinely have something special you can offer besids a love of Hi-Fi
then perhaps you have the ability to find your market niche
if it is solely your love of hi-fi that is driving this desire I'd say
don't quit your day job

My waring on the puitfals of retail
AVOID floor plans at all costs
Advertise 10x what you think you can afford
Your help is everything treat them like partners, pay wise and respect wise
Your customers are everything treat them better than your help
you are nothing your job is to serve your customers and employees
If you have pride in your work that is good, if you have EGO about your
abilities you will fail
I could go on and on but I would perfer to answer specific questions
george

Marc Wielage
July 4th 03, 08:58 PM
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:15:23 -0700, gene wrote
(in message >):

> I'm interested in opening up a retail (and possibly online) business for
> home theater and stereo equipment.
>-----------------------------<snip>----------------------------<

Go to the CEDIA show in Indianapolis, which I believe is happening in the
first week of September.

There'll be lots of seminars for dealers, and I assume some of them will
provide business plans and "how to" information.

--MFW

Roger W. Norman
July 5th 03, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I can talk to you extensively about it, but not here. If you want
specific information, email me or call the below number.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"gene" > wrote in message

> I'm interested in opening up a retail (and possibly online) business for
> home theater and stereo equipment. Can anyone tell me, or be willing to
> discuss, the merrit and pitfalls of such an operation? At the moment, I
> know very little about what needs to be done - how to get hooked into the
> distribution network, startup costs, operational costs, liabilities, how
> much to stock, what to stock, marketing, etc.
>
> If you've had this experience already, I value any input you can provide.
> I'd hate to make a mistake and jump in not fully inderstanding what I am
> getting into and fail. Recovereable mistakes are OK, I expect that, but
> failure is not an option!
>
> thanks ,
>
> gene
> --

LLLindblad
July 5th 03, 08:36 AM
Oh, my bad......I thought the header on this was "I'd like to talk to anyone
running their own bus".........

nevermind
tuna