PDA

View Full Version : ST Audio interface opinions? (longish)

Kendall
July 3rd 03, 05:55 AM
Hi all-

I'm contemplating buying an audio interface for my computer. I need an
interface with several ins and outs, along the line of a Layla24 or other
multi-output device. I also need some software to use with it, and am
therefore mainly looking at interfaces that include a software "bundle"
which would include multi-track software. It also needs to have midi in/out
capabilities. Of course, I would like the smallest possible latency,
although in general, I will probably be using hardware monitoring, either
through an interface that supports it, or with a mixer before the interface.
Balanced connections preferable, but not *absolutely* necessary. +4
operation preferred over -10, but again, not *critical*.

Based on some of the research I've done (mainly via the internet and some
"catalog shopping") I am mainly looking at
2 products from ST Audio; the C-Port DSP2000, and the M-Port DSP-3000. Both
of these units come with "EMagic Logic Soundtrack24". One of them (the
DSP3000) also comes with Sonic Foundry ACID XPress loop software, and Sonic
Foundry Siren XPress 2.0.

Now for the questions-
Is anybody here using either of the interfaces I'm considering? Are they
"usable" interfaces? Stability? Latency? Sound quality? Versatility? Am
I making a mistake considering these interfaces? How is the company in
general? Support? Is the DSP3000 worth the extra money for the balanced
I/O and better software bundle (compared to the DSP2000)? And, can anybody
tell me what operating level the DSP3000 actually is? I downloaded the
manual, and it doesn't seem to specifically state anywhere that it operates
at +4, as opposed to -10. It doesn't even list it in the "specs" page at
the back of the manual. I have discovered that the DSP2000 operates at -10,
except for the single pair of balanced connections, which (I believe)
operates at +4, although I have not been able to verify this. Can anybody
corroborate?

As far as the software bundle goes, if anybody has experience with
Soundtrack24, perhaps you could answer some questions about that as well-
What capabilities/limitations does Soundtrack24 have. Is it extremely
"crippled"? How many (audio) tracks does it allow? How is the midi in it?
Any (decent) effects? Does anybody know how well it works, and how stable
it is? Obviously, it won't be as "full featured" as other Emagic software.

Okay, now that I've bombarded you with those questions, now I have a couple
more;
Are there other interfaces I should add to my list for consideration, which
fulfill my requirements (specifically, multiple in/out, multitrack software
included, and midi capabilities)?

The reason I'm posting now is that I may have an opportunity to go shopping
on Friday, and may be able to do some "dealing" with the place I'll be
shopping at, so I want to be armed with as much info as possible.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated. Thanx a bunch in advance!!!!!!

BTW, at the moment I'm running Win98 SE on a 450 MHz homebuilt, with an AMD
processor, and 384M of RAM. I hope to be upgrading from this dinosaur soon,
but I figure I better include my system specs. When I do upgrade, I'm
likely to stick with the platform, so dumping the Soundtracks24 version and
moving to a full blown Logic system is probably not an option. Dang it.

Kendall

John Cafarella
July 3rd 03, 08:31 AM
"Kendall" > wrote in message
thlink.net...

> 2 products from ST Audio; the C-Port DSP2000, and the M-Port DSP-3000.
Both
> of these units come with "EMagic Logic Soundtrack24". One of them (the
> DSP3000) also comes with Sonic Foundry ACID XPress loop software, and
Sonic
> Foundry Siren XPress 2.0.
>
> Now for the questions-
> Is anybody here using either of the interfaces I'm considering? Are they
> "usable" interfaces? Stability? Latency? Sound quality? Versatility?
Am
> I making a mistake considering these interfaces? How is the company in
> general? Support?

Wow, bunch of questions. Ok.
I've got a C-port under Win98 on a 933mhz pIII Asus CUSLC mobo.

Latency:
I've got _reasonable_ latency performance, about 7mS IIRC. They say it's
better under winXP with WDM drivers but I haven't been there. It has an
inbuilt mixer for zero latency monitoring but I rarely use it the way I'm
set up.

Stability:
I've had mine for about 2 years, it's stability has been excellent, I give
the PC and the interface absolutely no thought whatsoever. It just works.

Sound quality:
I've compared the sound quality against a DIGI001 and it certainly isn't any
worse, perhaps a little better. I've had pretty positive comments from
mastering engineers (not backyarders) on the overall sonic quality of my
recordings with it.

Support:
Seems to be pretty good. The local dealer helped me out promptly with a
cable problem that developed shortly after I installed mine. Other than
that I haven't had to call on any support.

> As far as the software bundle goes, if anybody has experience with
> Soundtrack24, perhaps you could answer some questions about that as well-
> What capabilities/limitations does Soundtrack24 have. Is it extremely
> "crippled"? How many (audio) tracks does it allow? How is the midi in
it?
> Any (decent) effects? Does anybody know how well it works, and how stable
> it is? Obviously, it won't be as "full featured" as other Emagic
software.

I don't use it. IIRC its got only two sends, and one? insert per channel.
I found that too limiting for what I wanted, but may be fine for what you
want. I believe it allows for 24 tracks.

> BTW, at the moment I'm running Win98 SE on a 450 MHz homebuilt, with an
AMD
> processor, and 384M of RAM. I hope to be upgrading from this dinosaur
soon,
> but I figure I better include my system specs. When I do upgrade, I'm
> likely to stick with the platform, so dumping the Soundtracks24 version
and
> moving to a full blown Logic system is probably not an option. Dang it.

Here's websites that may help:
http://www.sound-music.com/product_info.php?PID=36
and
http://www.staudio.com/