PDA

View Full Version : Thorens 160 Revisited

Max Metral
July 2nd 03, 07:49 PM
When we last left our fearless and witless narrator, he had a Thorens 160
with speed problems. Nobody believed his explanation of torque on the
center hole. And they were right...

So after 3 cheap flourescents and one order of a neon bulb from
allelectronics.com, I have a working strobe disc/light pair that checks out
on my Technics 1200s. Anyhow, what seems to be happening on the TD160 is
that the little "lever" that lifts the belt up for 45 speed is not getting
it up... Does the center platter need any sort of lubrication to allow the
belt to travel up/down? Or the plastic motor thing? Basically on 45 it
gets slightly "kinked" and the lever, rather than rising to the upper
(wider) part of the rotor.

Thanks for any help!
--Max

(re reading this post, there are going to be a lot of confused porn
searchers on deja news)

FOURCADE Jean
July 3rd 03, 12:40 AM
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:49:17 -0400, "Max Metral" >
wrote:

>When we last left our fearless and witless narrator, he had a Thorens 160
>with speed problems. Nobody believed his explanation of torque on the
>center hole. And they were right...
>
>So after 3 cheap flourescents and one order of a neon bulb from
>allelectronics.com, I have a working strobe disc/light pair that checks out
>on my Technics 1200s. Anyhow, what seems to be happening on the TD160 is
>that the little "lever" that lifts the belt up for 45 speed is not getting
>it up... Does the center platter need any sort of lubrication to allow the
>belt to travel up/down? Or the plastic motor thing? Basically on 45 it
>gets slightly "kinked" and the lever, rather than rising to the upper
>(wider) part of the rotor.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>--Max

I have a TD 165 and a TD 160 and always had problems to change the
speeds, so i listen to 45s on a special day, i take off the platter to
manually place the belt. This thing doesn't seem to be designed to
work . These turntables are for LPs (noble), not for singles (vulgar);
if you still want to play singles you've got to suffer. Anyway, you
don't want to ruin your high priced cartridge playing 45s ? :-)

Jean

Kalman Rubinson
July 3rd 03, 01:03 AM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:40:29 +0200, FOURCADE Jean
> wrote:

>I have a TD 165 and a TD 160 and always had problems to change the
>speeds, so i listen to 45s on a special day, i take off the platter to
>manually place the belt. This thing doesn't seem to be designed to
>work . These turntables are for LPs (noble), not for singles (vulgar);
>if you still want to play singles you've got to suffer. Anyway, you
>don't want to ruin your high priced cartridge playing 45s ? :-)

Hey, my best 12" discs are 45rpm!

Kal