PDA

View Full Version : Dipping Mixer

Otis_thick
July 2nd 03, 07:28 AM
When was the last time anyone had a console taken out and DIPPED for a
good cleaning. I am looking for a place in the Indy/Chicago area that
can give a full bath for an old Neve console that has been setting
(uncovered) in storage for more than 15 years.

Geoff Tanner
July 2nd 03, 04:30 PM
(Otis_thick) wrote in message >...
> When was the last time anyone had a console taken out and DIPPED for a
> good cleaning. I am looking for a place in the Indy/Chicago area that
> can give a full bath for an old Neve console that has been setting
> (uncovered) in storage for more than 15 years.

Hi

Personally, I don't think this is the best idea because there's far
more dirt in the general outside construction of the modules than
inside the crucial switches and pots. By dipping the modules in one of
those baths you dissolve all the dirt that will remain in suspenson in
the fluid, washing the dust and grime through all the delicate
internal components.

Then, when you have removed it from the bath, you don't know for sure
that the dirt hasn't been deposited where it shouldn't but you'll know
for sure that all the lubricant has been washed out of the switches
and they will be bone dry and scratchy. It's then essential to clean
and lubricate the switches and pots with an aerosol cleaner... which
was the purpose of the bath in the first place.

You would be better off stripping all the knobs, caps, and front
panels off and clean them as they will have the most grime. Reline the
knobs and caps with wax (use paint with illuminated caps because of
the heat).

Use an airline to blow away any dirt from the carcass of the module
but keep it away from firing directly at the switches. Then use switch
cleaner (I favour Electrolube SML) and screw it all back together.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your original question was
never. You might do more harm than good... do you want to risk it?

BTW. What sort of Neve is it?

Geoff Tanner
Phoenix Audio International LLC
Aurora Audio International
www.auroraaudio.net

Mike Rivers
July 2nd 03, 11:30 PM
In article > writes:

> Personally, I don't think this is the best idea because there's far
> more dirt in the general outside construction of the modules than
> inside the crucial switches and pots. By dipping the modules in one of
> those baths you dissolve all the dirt that will remain in suspenson in
> the fluid, washing the dust and grime through all the delicate
> internal components.
>
> Then, when you have removed it from the bath, you don't know for sure
> that the dirt hasn't been deposited where it shouldn't

Funny, but I feel the same way whenever I'm someplace where there's no
shower and I have to take a bath. I never could quite figure out how
to get rid of the dirt that's still in the water when you (or the
mixer) get out.

I know that this sort of maintenance used to be standard procedure for
the Tektonix tube oscilloscopes. A friend of mine had a Summer job
dunking scopes at the local Tektronix service and calibration shop.
He'd fill a bathtub with warm soapy water, soak the scope for a couple
of hours, then drain the water and hose it off.

Plenty of pots and switches in there, but the all got a thorough
lubrication after drying.

I agree - I wouldn't do that with a console though.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Geoff Tanner
July 3rd 03, 12:24 AM
(Geoff Tanner) wrote in message >...
> (Otis_thick) wrote in message >...
> > When was the last time anyone had a console taken out and DIPPED for a
> > good cleaning. I am looking for a place in the Indy/Chicago area that
> > can give a full bath for an old Neve console that has been setting
> > (uncovered) in storage for more than 15 years.
>
> Hi
>
> Personally, I don't think this is the best idea because there's far
> more dirt in the general outside construction of the modules than
> inside the crucial switches and pots. By dipping the modules in one of
> those baths you dissolve all the dirt that will remain in suspenson in
> the fluid, washing the dust and grime through all the delicate
> internal components.
<snippety>

Hi

The other thing that occurred to me is that the cleaning solvent is
not going to be changed for each module because the stuff is too
expensive for that luxury, so the percentage of dirt and oily grime in
suspension in the cleaning fluid is going to increase with each
cleaning cycle.

It's rather as if an entire muddy football team were going to bath
using the same water... would you like to bath in that water after the
last muddy guy
stepped out? The water would be so thick with dissolved mud that you
could
practically stand a spoon up in it!

I've washed Neve front panels and knobs (after removing the steel
screws)
but never an entire module!
* shudders at the thought *

www.auroaaudio.net