PDA

View Full Version : Sony PCM 7030 help

tony espinoza
July 2nd 03, 04:48 AM
the manual states that this unit is calibrated to a reference level of
+4 dBs. anyone know why it's coming up considerably hotter than the
rest of my +4 dB stuff? (haven't measured exactly how much but if i
had to guess i'd say a good 4 db. my guess is that there's some
internal trim pot, but i'm not sure. i'm using AES/EBU for input and
in "monitor input" mode. any tips are greatly appreciated since the
user docs seems useless in this regard and i don't have a service
manual handy.

-tE

Bob Olhsson
July 2nd 03, 04:24 PM
In article >, tony
espinoza > wrote:

>the manual states that this unit is calibrated to a reference level of
>+4 dBs. anyone know why it's coming up considerably hotter than the
>rest of my +4 dB stuff?

The 7030 comes calibrated to the SMPTE -20 = +4 standard but there are
trim pots to set it anywhere you like.

>.. i don't have a service
>manual handy.

It DID come with one.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting
Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing, Mastering, Audio for Picture

Scott Dorsey
July 2nd 03, 04:29 PM
tony espinoza > wrote:
>the manual states that this unit is calibrated to a reference level of
>+4 dBs. anyone know why it's coming up considerably hotter than the
>rest of my +4 dB stuff? (haven't measured exactly how much but if i
>had to guess i'd say a good 4 db. my guess is that there's some
>internal trim pot, but i'm not sure. i'm using AES/EBU for input and
>in "monitor input" mode. any tips are greatly appreciated since the
>user docs seems useless in this regard and i don't have a service
>manual handy.

What is the reference level on the input side? Is 0 dBFS supposed to
produce a +4 dB output, or is -20 dBFS supposed to produce a +4 output?
I'd bet it's the latter.