PDA

View Full Version : Hammond part II

Tommy Bowen
July 2nd 03, 02:55 AM
Went and looked at the A-100 today. It's been basically parlor
furniture for a long time. The sound is ok, but there's a substantial hiss
coming from the speakers when nothing's being played. The his doesn't raise
in volume when you cycle the volume pedal from zero to full. Having never
heard an A-100 before, is this hiss something that's exected from an organ
this old and it is a huge deal to fix? When I wrinkled my nose at the hiss,
she dropped the price to $250, if that matters. I really do like the sound
of the organ, if I could get rid of the hiss.

- Tommy

Justin Ulysses Morse
July 2nd 03, 03:51 AM
I'd jump on that deal if I were you. You're lucky to find that kind of
price on a real Hammond that's local. And the fact that the noise is
post-volume control takes you halfway to finding the part that needs a
little help. You know it's not coming from the tonewheel or any part
of the basic sound generator. It's got to be coming from the power amp
or some latter half of the preamp. Maybe the reverb. In any case it
should be relatively straightforward to hunt down and take care of.
But don't expect the thing to be completely noiseless. This is 1920s
technology, after all.

ulysses

In article <3f00ea0c_2@newsfeed>, Tommy Bowen > wrote:

> Went and looked at the A-100 today. It's been basically parlor
> furniture for a long time. The sound is ok, but there's a substantial hiss
> coming from the speakers when nothing's being played. The his doesn't raise
> in volume when you cycle the volume pedal from zero to full. Having never
> heard an A-100 before, is this hiss something that's exected from an organ
> this old and it is a huge deal to fix? When I wrinkled my nose at the hiss,
> she dropped the price to $250, if that matters. I really do like the sound
> of the organ, if I could get rid of the hiss.
>
> - Tommy

Paul Bawol
July 2nd 03, 03:53 AM
Yer kiddin' us, right? If you like the sound of the organ, the tone
generator is working more or less well. That's the expensive part to fix.
They are GIVING you the organ. Yes, you will have to mess around a bit with
the electronics, as you would with any 40 year old piece of tube gear...

....Paul

"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."

"Tommy Bowen" > wrote in message
> Went and looked at the A-100 today. It's been basically parlor
> furniture for a long time. The sound is ok, but there's a substantial
hiss
> coming from the speakers when nothing's being played. The his doesn't
raise
> in volume when you cycle the volume pedal from zero to full. Having never
> heard an A-100 before, is this hiss something that's exected from an organ
> this old and it is a huge deal to fix? When I wrinkled my nose at the
hiss,
> she dropped the price to $250, if that matters. I really do like the
sound
> of the organ, if I could get rid of the hiss.
>
> - Tommy

Ben Bradley
July 2nd 03, 06:21 AM
In rec.audio.pro, "Paul Bawol" > wrote:

>Yer kiddin' us, right? If you like the sound of the organ, the tone
>generator is working more or less well. That's the expensive part to fix.
>They are GIVING you the organ. Yes, you will have to mess around a bit with
>the electronics, as you would with any 40 year old piece of tube gear...

It could well be just a tube, easily replacable for ten bucks,
causing the hiss.

If you don't want it, how much is shipping to Atlanta?

<maybe I need an emoticon here>

>...Paul
>
>--
>************************************************** ********
>"In the analog realm, it ain't "OVER" 'til it's over."
>

>"Tommy Bowen" > wrote in message
>> Went and looked at the A-100 today. It's been basically parlor
>> furniture for a long time. The sound is ok, but there's a substantial
>hiss
>> coming from the speakers when nothing's being played. The his doesn't
>raise
>> in volume when you cycle the volume pedal from zero to full. Having never
>> heard an A-100 before, is this hiss something that's exected from an organ
>> this old and it is a huge deal to fix? When I wrinkled my nose at the
>hiss,
>> she dropped the price to $250, if that matters. I really do like the
>sound
>> of the organ, if I could get rid of the hiss.
>>
>> - Tommy

Corey Yeoman
July 2nd 03, 06:49 AM
Jump on it, you won't find one, hiss or no, for that price again. Unless
Hammond mania dies of (hope against hope) :)

Twist Turner
July 2nd 03, 04:07 PM
Just buy it. $250 is like getting it for free, I paid $800 for mine
which I thought was a great deal, but mine was dead mint and perfectly
working. You might have to recap the power amp or replace a couple
tubes but that's relatively cheap to do.

http://www.vintagemicsales.com

Tommy Bowen
July 4th 03, 01:12 AM
"Mike Rivers" > wrote
> writes:
>
> > What part of "buy it immediately" don't you understand.... ;)
>
> I haven't seen any replies today from the original poster. He must be
> happily playing it.

Not quite. I paid for it today and I'll go over with a truck tomorrow
to bring it back. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to find whatever
replacement components it might need to lessen the hissing sound. I glanced
thru google and it looks like that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

- Tommy

Charles Thomas
July 7th 03, 09:32 PM
In article <3f03750e_3@newsfeed>, "Tommy Bowen" >
wrote:

> Hopefully it won't be too difficult to find whatever
> replacement components it might need to lessen the hissing sound. I glanced
> thru google and it looks like that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If I might be so bold... talk to Willy (a/k/a "Lord Valve") at NBS
Electronics in Denver, CO.
230 S Broadway
Denver, CO 80209-1510

The number's in the book, or you can email me if you can't find it.

He's the man for tube amps, and for Hammonds in general.

CT

crow
July 7th 03, 10:59 PM
"Charles Thomas" > wrote in
message ...
> In article <3f03750e_3@newsfeed>, "Tommy Bowen" >
> wrote:
>
> > Hopefully it won't be too difficult to find whatever
> > replacement components it might need to lessen the hissing sound. I
glanced
> > thru google and it looks like that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>
> If I might be so bold... talk to Willy (a/k/a "Lord Valve") at NBS
> Electronics in Denver, CO.
> 230 S Broadway
> Denver, CO 80209-1510
>
> The number's in the book, or you can email me if you can't find it.
>
> He's the man for tube amps, and for Hammonds in general.
>
> CT

If you're an east coaster, call Michael 'the undertaker' Torsone (lives in
Poughkeepsie). 845 471 8685. Top Hammond tech guy and a hell of a player
too...(ask Joey D or Jimmy McGriff...or Steve Winwood...).