PDA

View Full Version : analog mixer & control surface?

Dave Hauss
July 2nd 03, 01:31 AM
Im looking for something in the $500 or less range that is a 12-16
channel regular analog mixer with the usual things and also can act as
a control surface if I was to use it with program such as N-track
studio or acid etc. is there such a thing for this price range? where
would I look?

Thanks..

Higgs
July 2nd 03, 08:22 AM
This is a little over the price range you mentioned, but not by too
much:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030702001817065128073194033852/g=home/search/d=tp?q=248000

Hope this helps,
Higgs

(Dave Hauss) wrote in message >...
> Im looking for something in the $500 or less range that is a 12-16
> channel regular analog mixer with the usual things and also can act as
> a control surface if I was to use it with program such as N-track
> studio or acid etc. is there such a thing for this price range? where
> would I look?
>

> Thanks..

Dave Hauss
July 2nd 03, 04:09 PM
How well does this function as a regular mixer when not using it with
any computer software as a control surface? right now I am using a
Peavy RQ200 as my analog mixer and I use the send and returns to hook
up my alesis midi-verb. can I do this on this EZXBUS unit or I also
have some analog pieces to hook up suich as keyboards, drum machines
etc that I want to hook up.. also with the computer off, I want to be
able to hook the ezbus direcctly to my monitor amp so I can just play
my keyboard.. I assume this is possible?

THanks..

(Higgs) wrote in message >...
> This is a little over the price range you mentioned, but not by too
> much:
>
> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030702001817065128073194033852/g=home/search/d=tp?q=248000
>
> Hope this helps,
> Higgs
>

> (Dave Hauss) wrote in message >...
> > Im looking for something in the $500 or less range that is a 12-16
> > channel regular analog mixer with the usual things and also can act as
> > a control surface if I was to use it with program such as N-track
> > studio or acid etc. is there such a thing for this price range? where
> > would I look?
> >

> > Thanks..

Kurt Ballou
July 2nd 03, 04:32 PM
that's not what he asked for at all. the event ezbus is an 8 channel
digital mixer and control surface. he wants analog mixing.
i'm not aware of anything that can perform both functions. but maybe
you can find two used boses for cheap that will get you the
functionality you need.

(Higgs) wrote in message >...
> This is a little over the price range you mentioned, but not by too
> much:

Dave Hauss
July 3rd 03, 07:53 AM
it looks like you can use the EVENT EZBUS as a regular mixer as well
as a control surface.. I guess I can use the EZBUS without a computer
when I need to. the only qurstion I have that has not been answered..
I use a program called N-track studio for recording and people have
told me the ezbus does not work as a control surface for this program.
no one has told me why.. is it because there is no setup for ntrack
and the ezbus or for another reason?

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1057173503k@trad>...
> In article > writes:
>
> > that's not what he asked for at all. the event ezbus is an 8 channel
> > digital mixer and control surface. he wants analog mixing.
>
> If he specifically asked for analog mixing, he isn't going to get it
> in a DAW control surface. However, if he wants a mixer with analog
> inputs and outputs (that happens to do the mixing digitally) that's
> certainly possible.
>
> That little TASCAM DM1000 would do the job if you didn't need very
> many inputs (I think it has 8), but making that into a control surface
> is strictly a DIY job - you'll have to look up MIDI messages for
> everything in your DAW and map those to the knobs, sliders, and
> buttons. It's a real pain in the butt. It's only been in the past year
> or so that DAW manufacturers have gotten together with console and
> control surface manufacturers and co-developed templates or maps so
> you can pretty much plug-and-play.
>
> I really think that the original poster will be better off with a
> control surface for your DAW and a mixer for your PA chores. Sometimes
> it just complicates things too much to try to combine functions, make
> it small, and make it inexpensive.

Yuri T.
July 3rd 03, 02:34 PM
(Dave Hauss) wrote in message >...
> Im looking for something in the $500 or less range that is a 12-16
> channel regular analog mixer with the usual things and also can act as
> a control surface if I was to use it with program such as N-track
> studio or acid etc. is there such a thing for this price range? where
> would I look?
>

> Thanks..

There's a console once made by Soundcraft. The Spirit Auto. It has VCA
fader automation and Mute automation. All over MIDI. This could work
both as automation and a control surface using the faders and mutes.
They may be a bit hard to find but are out there.

Mike Rivers
July 3rd 03, 03:45 PM
In article > writes:

> I use a program called N-track studio for recording and people have
> told me the ezbus does not work as a control surface for this program.
> no one has told me why.. is it because there is no setup for ntrack
> and the ezbus or for another reason?

I don't think that it's impossible, but since neither the EZ-Bus nor
N-Track Studio comes with a setup for communicating, you (or somebody)
will have to do the work. There's probably not enough documentation to
do it easily so you'll have to experiment a lot. But this is the story
with low budget systems - trade your labor for cost saving. But if you
don't have the patience or knowledge to properly set this up, you can
spend a lot of time not recording and mixing.

You might find that by switching to a program that's not
net-distributed cheapware (and understand that I'm not knocking
N-Track Studio, it's just not as universally supported as programs
such as Cubase) you might get to where you want to be a lot quicker,
and for not a whole lot of expense.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )