PDA

View Full Version : Re: which mixer for home studio?

Dave Hauss
July 1st 03, 06:53 PM
is there a mixer that I can use that will act as a regular mixer with
mic/line inputs (with phantom power) and also as a control surface for
using with programs thatr have an on-screen mixer?

Dan DeTora > wrote in message >...
> Dave Hauss wrote:
> > Well I need a mixer. I do some recording where I need to MIX sources
> > such as multiple keyboard etc when I am recording direct to a dat or
> > to my computer.. I just need more inputs and beter quality.. which one
> > of the 2 mixers do you think would be better?
> >

> I've never used either unit, but in regards as to which is of better
> quality (sonically speaking), at this price the point is moot. I'd get
> the yamaha because it has more channels.

David Morley
July 1st 03, 08:23 PM
In article >,
(Dave Hauss) wrote:

> is there a mixer that I can use that will act as a regular mixer with
> mic/line inputs (with phantom power) and also as a control surface for
> using with programs thatr have an on-screen mixer?

Possibly the Event thing that came out recently? Forgotten the model,
but event electronics make it.

Mike Rivers
July 2nd 03, 01:50 AM
In article > writes:

> is there a mixer that I can use that will act as a regular mixer with
> mic/line inputs (with phantom power) and also as a control surface for
> using with programs thatr have an on-screen mixer?

Most digital mixing consoles can do that to a greater or lesser
extent. But the completeness of the control varies, depends on how
well the software and hardware manufacturers are talking, and whether
they care. There are no straightforward standards for control, and
sometimes you need to do some work to develop a "template" for your
software on the mixer.

The TASCAM DM-24 seems to be doing a pretty good job with the popular
audio programs.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

DrBoom
July 2nd 03, 05:54 AM
(Dave Hauss) wrote in message >...
> is there a mixer that I can use that will act as a regular mixer with
> mic/line inputs (with phantom power) and also as a control surface for
> using with programs thatr have an on-screen mixer?

You might want to think about getting a Tascam TMD-1000 off
eBay (300 bucks?) and a suitable TDIF card to get 8 channels of
audio in and out of your computer (another couple hundred?).
If your recording needs are more modest, you could just get
a cheap audio card that has S/PDIF in and out.

It makes a dandy, if large, DAW control surface: 21 faders,
dedicated pan controls, and MIDI messages for just about
everything but the input trims. Four mic preamps, four line
inputs, and built in effects & compression make it usable
for casual PA or jamming use. It has lots of blinky lights
to keep people entertained, too.

There are other alternatives (Tascam US series, Digi002, etc.),
but it doesn't sound like your budget goes high enough.

-DrBoom