PDA

View Full Version : How far should I place JBL 4312C apart?

Christian Serig
July 1st 03, 05:54 PM
What is recommended on how far to place these speakers apart to get
decent imaging. What is the least I could get by on? Trying to figure
out a new floorplan.

Thank you, Chris

David Morgan \(MAMS\)
July 1st 03, 06:39 PM
"Christian Serig" > wrote in message om...
> What is recommended on how far to place these speakers apart to get
> decent imaging. What is the least I could get by on? Trying to figure
> out a new floorplan.
>

> Thank you, Chris

The same rule generally always applies. There are few exceptions.

The speakers placement should form an equilateral tringle between
your listening position and themselves. IE if you are 7 feet from each
speaker at the listening position, they should be 7 feet apart.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Scott Dorsey
July 1st 03, 07:34 PM
Christian Serig > wrote:
>What is recommended on how far to place these speakers apart to get
>decent imaging. What is the least I could get by on? Trying to figure
>out a new floorplan.

Like all speakers, you want to form an equalateral triangle with your
head at one vertex and the speakers at the other two.

Christian Serig
July 2nd 03, 03:55 PM
Thank you, but I was implying nearfield monitors you can maybe have
them three feet apart and can tell decently how things are panned. Put
some speakers of this size at 3 feet and you will not notice at all.
Is there a basic rule that nearfields can be in this range of feet and
you hear what they are doing and mid-fields are in this range of feet?
Thank you for your help on this.

Chris

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message >...
> Christian Serig > wrote:
> >What is recommended on how far to place these speakers apart to get
> >decent imaging. What is the least I could get by on? Trying to figure
> >out a new floorplan.
>
> Like all speakers, you want to form an equalateral triangle with your
> head at one vertex and the speakers at the other two.
> --scott

Scott Dorsey
July 2nd 03, 05:06 PM
Christian Serig > wrote:
>Thank you, but I was implying nearfield monitors you can maybe have
>them three feet apart and can tell decently how things are panned. Put
>some speakers of this size at 3 feet and you will not notice at all.

Depends. You can usually arrange things so this will work, unless the
speakers are planar, or unless the phase coherence is very poor up close.
It's a sign of a design issue if you can't, and even if you have a problem
with coherence you can often toe the speakers forward or back in angle to
make it work.

>Is there a basic rule that nearfields can be in this range of feet and
>you hear what they are doing and mid-fields are in this range of feet?

Your big worry is going to be placement to get the low end right. Once
you get that right, then you can worry about imaging issues and distance
from the listener. Since you won't be able to get the low end right in
a smaller room, finding the sweet spot close to the speakers will be
the least of your worries.