PDA

View Full Version : Re: Tried using protable hard disk recorders?

Len Moskowitz
July 1st 03, 04:29 PM
Mike Rivers > wrote:

>> Still, I have heard the difference between different grades of optical and
>> coaxial cable
>
>So have I. But this is a jitter problem. TOSLink has more jitter than
>wire, and when you get over about 10 feet of either, the effects can
>become audible.

In general, this isn't true. I've seen and measured signals that had
considerably lower jitter over Toslink than over Coax. And I've seen
the opposite too. So you have to take it on a case-by-case basis.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz
July 1st 03, 04:32 PM
Kurt Albershardt > wrote:

>> Who is this Jamie Lutch and why does his name keep coming up? Is he
>> some sort of Jukebox fanatic?
>
>He's a taper with a healthy gear appetite. He was doing som beta
>testing with Creative for awhile, trying to make the JB3 more useable
>for live taping. I think he's no longer a fanatic, if he ever was.

He can be found on the laptop-tapers mailing list on yahoogroups.com .
He's still quite active and very knowledgeable and opinioned.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Mike Rivers
July 1st 03, 11:03 PM
In article > writes:

> In general, this isn't true. I've seen and measured signals that had
> considerably lower jitter over Toslink than over Coax. And I've seen
> the opposite too. So you have to take it on a case-by-case basis.

So in general, it's true that it's not true, but not generally.

Actually the fiber itself isn't the problem, it's the assembly and
mating of the plastic connectors, but you can't have one without the
other until you go to the much more expensive glass fiber and the
more expensive connectors that go along with it.

Compare it to the difference between a mini phone plug an an XLR.
Under good conditions, both will pass signal about equally, but it's
easier to make a poor connection with the mini plug.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )